ssnake51

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Hi,
Having problems with my newly-assembled computer. When I turn the power supply on the two lights on the motherboard light up. And when I turn on the power switch all the fans start to turn and then stop. No beeps at all from speaker. Motherboard lights stay lit. If I push the power switch again nothing at all happens. If I unplug the power supply and then try again the fans will start to spin up. I also noticed after opening up the case and trying to turn on the power using the motherboard power button that there was also a bright flash of light that looked like it was coming from ICH1OR chipset.

Have checked all power connections many times. Everything appears to be hooked up properly. Have tried resetting the memory. Unplugging everything except the video card. Also did the paperclip test on the PSU and it seems to be working ok.
At this point only have 1 sata hard drive and one sata dvd drive and the video card installed on system.

System specs:
Asus P6T Deluxe
Corsair 6 gig memory
Asus ENGTX280 PCIE video card
Corsair HX 1000W PSU
Cooler Master HAF Case

This is the first system I’ve built in over 5 years, so I got the pre-built and tested motherboard bundle with processor from Mwave. Put the rest of it together myself.

Since the power supply appears to be working I assume it must be something with the motherboard. Any suggestions as to what I may be overlooking here would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Hal

G

Take out the video card and ram disconnect all the drives.

See how it posts, then add the ram then the video etc.

See which causes a problem.

If it doesn't beep with nothing on it then its the mobo.

ssnake51

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion, travistee. Forgot to mention I already tried that. Also have tried running it outside of the case to remove any chance there might be a short. All that ever happens is a very short spin up of the fans and that flash of light near the chipset - then nothing. Guess I got a bad board.

ssnake51

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Thanks roadrunner, but I have both the main and cpu power connnectors plugged in. That was the first thing I checked - to make sure they were plugged in properly.

nurwho

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Sounds like something grounding out. I have had this problem with cheep cases. In a pinch I have used clear fingernail polish (colored sometimes has metal it in), and some types of simple caulking (rubber glove a hand and use your finger) on the mounting pins. Make sure it is fully dry or you will get it on your motherboard. And don't get it in the mounting pin holes. Then set your motherboard in the case. I found this article that explains it better then I can.

http://www.cpusolutions.com/mm8004744CPU/HTML/Guides/grounding%20issues.htm

ssnake51

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
nurwho, I tried running it barebones outside of the case in order to check for grounding issues. Unfortunately, that didn't help.

Whatever turns out to be the problem, I have learned one good lesson for future builds: set up a barebone system outside of the case and make sure all is working before installing it into a case. I would have saved myself a lot of troubles if I had just done it that way to begin with.

ssnake51

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Yes, the ram is in the orange slots. But thanks for the suggestion.

I've even tried taking all but one ram stick out and seeing if that would help. Same problem.

At this point am thinking that I simply have a bad board.

ssnake51

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Just a follow up in case others have a similar problem. Turned out to be a problem with the Corsair HX1000W PSU.
Went to Best Buy and picked up an Antec PSU just to make sure it was the MB before sending it back to MWave. System boots up properly now.

ssnake51

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Yea, I did.
It had been 5 years since my last system build and I've really been looking forward to catching up to some of the latest technology. I was more than a little bummed out the first time I pressed that power button and nothing happened.
Appreciate all the suggestions given here.

G

Hi,
Having problems with my newly-assembled computer. When I turn the power supply on the two lights on the motherboard light up. And when I turn on the power switch all the fans start to turn and then stop. No beeps at all from speaker. Motherboard lights stay lit. If I push the power switch again nothing at all happens...

Except the power supply (beQuiet) I do have the same system setting.

Everything worked out fine, and I can tell that it was a great experience having full HD resolution, flying the FSX.
Windows Vista 64 system installed.

No overclocking was done by me, the Asus Power management tool crashed and the icon(taskbar icon) vanished.
I thought nothing about it, and shut down the system.
In the evening, I decided to fly anouther trip, but after I pressed the start button, all the fans started... nothing, no beep, no screen, nothing...

I removed the battery, did reset the RTC. Nothing.

Sometimes it just switched off after a view seconds.

Well, I read a lot about the problem and I `ve come to the conclusion that it is a common problem of the ASUS P6T board. It just dies... and the fail save BIOS isn't fail safe.

I am very disapointed. Need help....