smokarz

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
Hi guys,

I just got a SSD and I'll be installing Win7 on it.

However, I have lots of movies, pics, music on my current HDD that I like to backup.

Can I create a new partition on the existing HDD to move all my movies, pics, and music over? Then I can wipe/format the remaining part of the HDD that still have the OS and apps on it?

If yes, how do i do this? Thanks

Solution
It would be simplest to just install on the SSD (with the hard drive disconnected, so that the boot loader will be put on the SSD) and then re-attach the hard drive. Voila, there are all your files on the D drive. Once you are sure that your new installation is fine and good, you can delete /windows and /program files from the HDD.

My answer is based on the guess that you don't really mean backup, as in make a second copy in case your drive fails. If you do, than read geofelt's reply. Backup is an excellent idea for any data that you want to still have a week from now.
I suggest you buy another hard drive for backup. Put it in a external enclosure(usb3.0 or esata), and back up your files there.
If you have a failure, such as a hard drive error, or malware, etc, external drives will keep your files protected.
Because data will be compressed, it will not need as much space as the source.

If you want, the os and any other files on the old drive can be deleted and the space reused. I don't think a reformat is really necessary.

It would be simplest to just install on the SSD (with the hard drive disconnected, so that the boot loader will be put on the SSD) and then re-attach the hard drive. Voila, there are all your files on the D drive. Once you are sure that your new installation is fine and good, you can delete /windows and /program files from the HDD.

My answer is based on the guess that you don't really mean backup, as in make a second copy in case your drive fails. If you do, than read geofelt's reply. Backup is an excellent idea for any data that you want to still have a week from now.

Solution