New partitions not showing up in Start/Computer but showing up in Disk Managememt

bruce941

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
I just purchased a WD 1TB drive to replace my Hatachie 320 MB drive. The dive has been formatted with three primary partitions (the small one that Win 7 puts out there) plus the two I did. One will be for Windows 7 and one will be for Windows 8. I can see the drives when I go through Control Panel/Admin Tools/Disk Management. I can even open and move around in those partitions. However, the partition for Win 8 will not show up when I access my computer from Start/Computer when I'm in the Win 7 OS. I'm waiting to reinstall Win 8 until I can get this fixed. I've got a system image of the entire hard drive "just in case" it tanks again. I want to know why I can't see the Win 8 partition from Win 7. There was no problem like this on the Hatachie.

Solution
Well, I'm finding a bit of a work-around on getting the desktop to look and behave more like I want. I'm basically using it as Win 7 desktop minus the toys (DVD maker, Movie Maker, a decent START button, etc. The partitions show up perfectly in Win 8, just not Wn 7. I don't know if restoring it from a system image caused it - don't see how - it was there before. Oh well, going to shoot another image and then head to bed. That way, if I blow something up in the morning I can simply restore the entire hard drive. A long process, yes, but it sure beats reloading and hoping you got everything back and tweaked.

bruce941

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
Yes it does. If I could post it, I'd show the snaps I made. It does, and always has, had the drive letter "T". Now, when I'm in Win 8, both the Win 7 and Win 8 partitions show up and I can easily move/copy files between these partitions. It just doesn't show up in Windows 7.

Trent Quan-Sing

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
I know I have trouble at work when copying data externally from any source to windows 8 drive, when I boot after the transfer to Win8 partition, the folder I created is gone. I have to chkdsk and then it appears but says its not accessible and in the end I have to transfer the data via usb while in the OS. Its happened many times.
Perhaps there is some difference in the file system in spite of being NTFS on both sides.
It could be linked to your problem.
I've not had the chance to play with Win8 as much as I should.

bruce941

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
Well, I'm finding a bit of a work-around on getting the desktop to look and behave more like I want. I'm basically using it as Win 7 desktop minus the toys (DVD maker, Movie Maker, a decent START button, etc. The partitions show up perfectly in Win 8, just not Wn 7. I don't know if restoring it from a system image caused it - don't see how - it was there before. Oh well, going to shoot another image and then head to bed. That way, if I blow something up in the morning I can simply restore the entire hard drive. A long process, yes, but it sure beats reloading and hoping you got everything back and tweaked.

Solution

bruce941

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
I agree, this is a strange issue. I've told the main office folks that if they want to test something, they should let me do it. If there's something wrong, then I'll find it.