New parts, need help transferring Windows 10

Conner_38

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016
I currently have a Dell XPS 8700 (i7-4790) and im upgrading it with a bunch of new stuff.
I'm upgrading the mobo to an asus z97e, and im buying a samsung 850 evo 250gb and a wd blue 1tb hdd.
My question is how would be the best way to transfer my windows 10 os to my ssd. I do not care about any of the files on it, I just need the os. I dont have the win 10 usb or lisence key as i upgraded from win 7.
Any help on what the best course to take is greatly appreciated.

Solution
Merry Christmas, everybody! :)

@Conner_38, I'm afraid that @Paul & @sizzling are totally right. Since you will be swapping the motherboard, you can surely use the same Windows 10 Pro installation (Creating a new bootable media). However, there's no way around buying a new genuine Windows activation code/product key from MS Support. Get in touch with them and see how else they could assist you with this issue.

Changing the motherboard is like changing the whole computer altogether, because the operating system is tied to it. I've seen people use the same OS installation and the same activation code only if the motherboard is an identical model or from the same manufacturer which is not the case here.
Cloning is not an...
With a new motherboard its highly recommended you reinstall Windows, it may not even boot if you don't.

With Windows 10 you can link your licence to your Microsoft account and activation is done through your account so you don't need your key. I'm on my phone and can't find a link but I'm sure someone will be along and post one.

Conner_38

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

Hey thanks for the help but I want to get this right so I don't blow my windows 10. I've linked my microsoft account to my Windows 10 Pro edition and know I'm not sure what to do next. I have a windows 10 usb and licence key from my other computer (key is already used). It is not the key/usb I used on this computer.

So I guess my main question is, do I plug my ssd into my current mobo, use the windows 10 flash drive from my other computer (It is home not pro) skip the licence activation and use my linked microsoft account to activate it.
Or should I do all of this on my new mobo.
Or is there a different way I should go about this. Sorry for the questions but thanks for your and everyone else's help.

Edit: I was able to find my windows 10 Pro key through ProduKey. Is it possible for me to use the windows 10 home usb and enter my pro product key?

Conner_38

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

Hmm, could I use a flashdrive to download the windows 10 installation from my hdd, and install it on my ssd using the product key to active it?

Merry Christmas, everybody! :)

@Conner_38, I'm afraid that @Paul & @sizzling are totally right. Since you will be swapping the motherboard, you can surely use the same Windows 10 Pro installation (Creating a new bootable media). However, there's no way around buying a new genuine Windows activation code/product key from MS Support. Get in touch with them and see how else they could assist you with this issue.

Changing the motherboard is like changing the whole computer altogether, because the operating system is tied to it. I've seen people use the same OS installation and the same activation code only if the motherboard is an identical model or from the same manufacturer which is not the case here.
Cloning is not an option since you won't even be able to boot from the SSD, once you have a cloned OS from another motherboard.

The most important thing to remember is to keep your WD Blue unplugged while installing Windows 10 onto the SSD. Having more than 1 destination SATA device could result in an OS confusion which will give you a lot of booting issues. Here's a pretty detailed and informative step-by-step guide regarding Windows Install & Optimization for SSDs & HDDs.

Hope it helps you. Good luck & Happy Holidays! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

Conner_38

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

Alright thanks for the advice. I'm going to buy a new windows 10 home and install it. It should make this process a lot easier since I'm getting a new case, psu, mobo, storage, ram. Basically scrapping everything except processor and gtx 970. Will keep everyone posted on how it goes (if you care :p).
Thanks again everyone!

TRENDING THREADS