Question New Parts, Same Performance.

ItsEvap

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
Hello everyone, thanks for stopping by,

I've had my PC for a while now. I built it around 4 to 5 years ago I'd say, and it is a little out dated now.
Here are the Specs:
MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB total
MSI R9 380 Gaming 2GB GPU
AMD fx 8350 black edition CPU
Ultra Professional HS 750 Power Supply.
NZXT Phantom 410 Red Case
Seagate Barracuda 1TB

So yeah those are not the newest parts.
I finally got the inspiration for a new build after discovering the Lian Li O-11 Dynamic case.
I did some research and I had in my head that anything that I'd buy would be an upgrade, of course I did do some research on the parts I bought.

But Here is my new specs:
MSI B450 Tomahawk Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 16 GB
MSI R9 380 Gaming 2GB GPU (same as first build)
Corsair RM850x Power Supply
Lian Li O-11 Dynamic Case
Seagate Barracuda 1TB (same as first)

So here's my thing, I bought those new parts with the thought of being able to game with no issues, which I was later disappointed.
I have only tried running one game since I got everything swapped and that was rust. I would crash or have periods of freezing even while I was changing the settings. And it wasn't the short freeze you get when you change some graphical setting either.
The whole PC was running slow, just like the old one. I did notice something that caught my eye while looking in task manager. My Disk was working at 100% constantly. It would sometimes drop but not lower than 95%. So I went to my trusty source, Google.
I tried doing the troubleshooting methods that other have suggested and no luck. So what I did was an entire system reset. Looking at he Task Manager now I did not have any where close to those percentages, however I have not even tried to game yet.
The main reason I wanted a new PC is because the old one was super unreliable. It would crash with no warning even when I was on the desktop. I narrowed it down the the temps. I was getting around 70-80 C on idle.
I also did a benchmark test and it said that I wasn't getting the full potential out of my system, as it told me other with the same build was getting higher scores than me. I was very confused by what the site was trying to tell me and I just kinda abandoned it.

If anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated. I am looking at getting a new GPU as well, I'll link the ones I'm looking at below. if anyone can kinda guide me in the right direction. Also I am using a Viotek Ultra wide monitor if you need that information. Anyone guys/gals thanks for looking over my life problems and you have a good day, thank you. :)

https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-...woMM0rHZ0-BKGSVarrxoCQ8YQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-...ocphy=9009392&hvtargid=pla-669865850593&psc=1

Also I don't know squat about what would be the right card to buy so please help me here too. I want something nice, dual fan preferably and no more than $350 unless it's absolutely worth it.

Did you do a clean install of Windows after building the new system or are you running with the same Windows installation as before? A reset is NOT a clean install. All of the cruft and problematic registry entries from non-Windows applications and software will still be there.

What Windows VERSION are you running?

Have you updated the motherboard BIOS?

Have you done a CLEAN install of the graphics drivers?

If there are any steps listed here that you have not already done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility. It probably would be a pretty good idea to put your OS on an SSD as well, AND replace that very old HDD with a newer one, although those are not items that are going to specifically affect in game FPS, they will affect just about everything else.

First,

make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second,

go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

Third,

Make sure your memory is running at the correct advertised speed in the BIOS. This may require that you set the memory to run at the XMP profile settings. Also, make sure you have the memory installed in the correct slots and that they are running in dual channel which you can check by installing CPU-Z and checking the Memory tab. For all modern motherboards that are dual channel memory architectures, from the last ten years at least, if you have two sticks installed they should be in the A2 (Called DDR4_1 on some boards) or B2 (Called DDR4_2 on some boards) which are ALWAYS the SECOND and FOURTH slots over from the CPU socket, counting TOWARDS the edge of the motherboard EXCEPT on boards that only have two memory slots total. In that case, if you have two modules it's not rocket science, but if you have only one, then install it in the A1 or DDR4_1 slot.

Fourth,

Make sure the problem is not just a bad cable or the wrong cable IF this is a no display issue. If it is NOT related to a lack of display signal, then skip to the next step.

This happens a lot. Try a different cable or a different TYPE of cable. Sometimes there can be issues with the monitor or card not supporting a specific specification such as HDMI 1.4 vs HDMI 2.0, or even an HDMI output stops working but the Displayport or DVI output still works fine on the graphics card. Always worth checking the cable and trying other cables because cables get run over, bent, bent pins or simply were cheap quality to begin with and something as simple as trying a different cable or different monitor might be all that is required to solve your issue.

The last thing we want to look at,

for now anyhow, is the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

And this: