Question New PC (3 days old) has really bad stuttering, audio cutouts

Dec 18, 2022
It happens randomly, even when I'm only listening to music the audio becomes distorted. While gaming it also freezes for like a second. Between these stutters everything is working perfectly fine, performance is where it should be, temps are low.
Specs:
CPU: I5 13600K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 Gaming DDR4 (rev1.1)
RAM: 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 mhz (Already tried RAM from another pc, didn't solve the problem)
SSD: Kingston KC3000 1TB
Currently I have the graphics card removed and the stuttering is still happening.
What else I tried:
Disabling XMP
Disabling E-cores
Disabling C-states
Disabling Hyperthreading
Updating BIOS
Reinstalling Windows
Installing the newest drivers, installing older drivers
You can clearly see the problem on latencymon as well:
nfWL134.png

I'm thinking about returning my motherboard and getting a different one, but I'm not a 100% sure that it's what causing it, should I try anything else first?

Dec 18, 2022
Are you monitoring temps?
What cooler?
What GPU and power supply?
Yeah temps are low, usually sitting at around 30 C (even at constant 100% load I don't think it would go above 70 C), my cooler is a be quiet dark rock pro 4, i tested with a rtx 3070, gtx 970, and with integrated graphics only, performance is worse as expected, but the stuttering happens with all 3. Power supply is a cooler master V850 gold V2, initially i only had 8 pin connected to my cpu, but I already connected the additional 4 and it didn't solve the problem.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Might be worthwhile to check Event Viewer critical and error tabs to see what the system is logging.

If you are going to consider returning the mobo, take and breadboard everything on the table. Remove the cooler, lift and check the CPU/socket for any debris or issue, verify the paste application. Take it down to the mimimum required parts it needs to boot into BIOS, then add the OS drive, boot into Windows and see if the issue persists. If the issue doesn't, start adding back hardware until it does (if it does).

What BIOS revision are you on? The CPU support states you need to be on F20.

Dec 18, 2022
Might be worthwhile to check Event Viewer critical and error tabs to see what the system is logging.

If you are going to consider returning the mobo, take and breadboard everything on the table. Remove the cooler, lift and check the CPU/socket for any debris or issue, verify the paste application. Take it down to the mimimum required parts it needs to boot into BIOS, then add the OS drive, boot into Windows and see if the issue persists. If the issue doesn't, start adding back hardware until it does (if it does).

What BIOS revision are you on? The CPU support states you need to be on F20.
Nothing weird in event viewer. Already tried booting with minimal parts, thats when i also tried different ram as well. BIOS version was F21, after I noticed the problem I updated to F22. I will check the CPU and the socket tommorrow. Also I didn't have any crashes/random shutdowns/bsods, everything is working perfectly, it's only the random stuttering.

Mar 19, 2023
Hello!

I'm experiencing the same problem (with a frequency of about 30 mins) with a very similar PC:
  • Intel Core i5 13600K
  • Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4
  • 4x 8GB G. Skill Aegis DDR4 3200
  • ZOTAC GeForce 3060Ti GA103 OC
The CPU is "auto undervolted" with "Power Saving" loadline preset to remain under TjMAX with my 150W rated CM 212 BE.
My VGA is also OC-d & undervolted, but it uses the same Afterburner profile as in my previous Ryzen build with no problems for a year.

Just before landing here, I have found a similar complaint here:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...o/a75cebac-2279-4e1d-8fb5-3fdcc963a87d?page=2

Here, people wrote that they started to experience the issue after Windows Update installed "Intel - SoftwareComponent - 2130.1.15.0".
Guessing from the version number it might be the Intel ME driver which I had version 2131.1.4.0 also installed from Windows Update, so now I'm testing with version 2229.3.2.0 from Gigabyte's download section for my mb model.

(Seems fine for an hour yet with E cores and other power saving related features still enabled)

Also the symptoms are very similar to the notorious AMD fTMP issue, so I will try to disable the PTT (TPM) module if the ME driver update won't solve the issue now.