Question New pc 90° idle temperature

Apr 13, 2019
I just assembled a new rig with asus rog strix z390e motherboard and i9 9900k processor , 16 gb ram and 1050ti gpu. I'm yet to buy an aio.
I'm unable to even install windows because of overheating. It start at 37° and rises by 3 each second. After reaching 89 it shutsdown in a minute.
I turned the turbo off in bios and tweaked around a little and it went from giving the cpu 5000hz to 1500hz .. Still the heating is the same.
please help.

Reactions: esaitech6

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The 9900K is a monster to cool. But it shouldn't at all be heating up that high.
I would sooner suggest the current cooler isn't secured properly or thermal paste application isn't quite sufficient. So I would reapply paste and the CPU cooler.
The turbo boost wouldn't make a difference if it's heating up to 90 degrees idle, there is something else going wrong at that point.

On a side note - you don't NEED an AIO, many air coolers are just as good if not better than AIO. (y)

Apr 13, 2019
The 9900K is a monster to cool. But it shouldn't at all be heating up that high.
I would sooner suggest the current cooler isn't secured properly or thermal paste application isn't quite sufficient. So I would reapply paste and the CPU cooler.
The turbo boost wouldn't make a difference if it's heating up to 90 degrees idle, there is something else going wrong at that point.

On a side note - you don't NEED an AIO, many air coolers are just as good if not better than AIO. (y)
cooler or fan not installed yet sir. Aio has been ordered and is on the way , but even without it. Is it normal to reach 90° ?

Apr 13, 2019
yes it is and just google why and youll get plenty of detailed explanations, plus why did you even think of turning on the pc without a cooler? you could fry your cpu. youd be thankful if it still works properly once your cooling solution arrives.
i thought you only need a cooler for high end games i thoght i could install os until aio comes.

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
You thought wrong, Holmes!

And I have to chuckle about the $500 CPU a $200+ motherboard and then a $150 GPU.

i was gonna point it out that why does he have an i9 9900k with a gtx 1050ti. not the best choice for parts and certainly not the best gaming setup. i laughed at the 1050 ti part but then i got legit worried when he said theres no cooler and he tried to run it.

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
i thought you only need a cooler for high end games i thoght i could install os until aio comes.

nope, besides why did you go with an i9 9900k anyways you couldve done better with a r5 2600/r7 2700 + b450 mobo and a RTX 2070/80 and have a better gaming experience.

and well now you just gota hope your CPU would live long enough, coz im certain you have damaged it with your no cooler atempt. well good luck.

Apr 13, 2019
nope, besides why did you go with an i9 9900k anyways you couldve done better with a r5 2600/r7 2700 + b450 mobo and a RTX 2070/80 and have a better gaming experience.

and well now you just gota hope your CPU would live long enough, coz im certain you have damaged it with your no cooler atempt. well good luck.
its not for gaming sir , i built it for 3d rendering which uses strong cpu , some new engines do use gpu rendering but not all. Also for other content creation softwares that use a strong cpu. I did a lot of research before selecting these parts. Now i'm really worried for my cpus life , i waited 4 years for thic pc :( how do i check if my cpu is ok ?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
its not for gaming sir , i built it for 3d rendering which uses strong cpu , some new engines do use gpu rendering but not all. Also for other content creation softwares that use a strong cpu. I did a lot of research before selecting these parts. Now i'm really worried for my cpus life , i waited 4 years for thic pc :( how do i check if my cpu is ok ?
The good thing is that the system shut down to prevent (minimize) damage. Just have some patience and wait until you have a heatsink/AIO attached to the CPU before powering on again.

What you have done can lead to catastrophic component failure(s). Just wait.

Afterward, you can run some burn-in/benchmarking apps to test for stability.

NEVER start a system without proper CPU cooling in place. NEVER!

Good luck.

Reactions: Androximus

hutchl

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2014
the max tmp for the 9900k is 100C he's probably not killing it. I'm not saying what you are doing is not incredibly dumb, and you should stop. You need to wait for your cooler. No desktop class CPU is intended to run with out an active cooling solution. If I'm being optimistic I'd say your new CPU is probably fine. Even if its not you have a warranty, just don't tell Intel you ran it without a cooler.

Last edited:

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
the max tmp for the 9900k is 100C he's probably not killing it. That's not to say what you are doing is not incredibly dumb, and you should stop. You need to wait for your cooler. No desktop class CPU is intended to run with out an active cooling solution. If I'm being optimistic id say you new CPU is probably fine. Even if its not you have a warranty, just don't tell Intel you ran it without a cooler.

its still a worry tho, i forgot if the strix z390 comes with MCE on by default or off. if it was on it might have shot up the voltage and temps the moment he got into the OS.

Reactions: hutchl

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016

well im sry to hear that, but the only way you can really check is when you have the cooler run some test as others have stated here, and then hope it lives long enough for years to come, electronic parts tend to not show any signs of wear or tear since they arent moving parts like for example car engines which makes noise when there are problems, electronic parts tend to not do that so they can fail literally anytime without ample warning. which is a worry on your cpu.

Apr 13, 2019
its still a worry tho, i forgot if the strix z390 comes with MCE on by default or off. if it was on it might have shot up the voltage and temps the moment he got into the OS.
Thats exactly what happened as soon as the bios loads temperature rose by 3° per second , i don't know anything about bios. Now i won't touch anything till aio comes.

Apr 13, 2019
the max tmp for the 9900k is 100C he's probably not killing it. That's not to say what you are doing is not incredibly dumb, and you should stop. You need to wait for your cooler. No desktop class CPU is intended to run with out an active cooling solution. If I'm being optimistic id say you new CPU is probably fine. Even if its not you have a warranty, just don't tell Intel you ran it without a cooler.
That gives me some relief :) thanks

Apr 13, 2019
The good thing is that the system shut down to prevent (minimize) damage. Just have some patience and wait until you have a heatsink/AIO attached to the CPU before powering on again.

What you have done can lead to catastrophic component failure(s). Just wait.

Afterward, you can run some burn-in/benchmarking apps to test for stability.

NEVER start a system without proper CPU cooling in place. NEVER!

Good luck.
Thankyou !!

barryv88

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Off topic, but thought I'd mention an interesting case. The first PC that my dad got me back in 1994 was an Acer desktop that came with an Intel 486 SX-2 50Mhz. (Anyone remember those?)
That CPU ran flawlessly without any cooling required. Ahhh the good old days of Win3.1 and DOS on a 14" CRT :)