Question New pc 90° idle temperature

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 13, 2019
I just assembled a new rig with asus rog strix z390e motherboard and i9 9900k processor , 16 gb ram and 1050ti gpu. I'm yet to buy an aio.
I'm unable to even install windows because of overheating. It start at 37° and rises by 3 each second. After reaching 89 it shutsdown in a minute.
I turned the turbo off in bios and tweaked around a little and it went from giving the cpu 5000hz to 1500hz .. Still the heating is the same.
please help.

Reactions: esaitech6

racksmith101

Respectable
It always makes me laugh when people buy an expensive CPU and mobo but really don't bother doing even the basic bit of research to realise they need a cooler of some sort, maybe we need to start having a basic IQ test before people are allowed to purchase pc parts, if they fail they are only allowed laptops? 😋

if you can disable all core mode it might reduce the heat enough for your current cooler. then set the core count to 2-4

but it sounds like you need a better solution than your current cooler. and if you dont have 1 at hand then you need to turn off and wait till you have 1.

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
Yeah im almost certain MCE is on by default with those boards, but like I said trying to be optimistic here lol.

if he aint trolling i feel pretty bad if theres actual damage to the CPU, since its quite an expensive CPU.

This must be a troll post.

9900k with 1050ti assembled and used without a cooler. i really do hope so, if not im being optimistic for him.

Apr 6, 2019
I just assembled a new rig with asus rog strix z390e motherboard and i9 9900k processor , 16 gb ram and 1050ti gpu. I'm yet to buy an aio.
I'm unable to even install windows because of overheating. It start at 37° and rises by 3 each second. After reaching 89 it shutsdown in a minute.
I turned the turbo off in bios and tweaked around a little and it went from giving the cpu 5000hz to 1500hz .. Still the heating is the same.
please help.

The real question here is why you would even try booting without a cooler? And why a 9900k with a 1050ti?

Apr 13, 2019
Hello guys thanks so much for your guidance , the cooler arrived past monty and after installing it i was amazed , cpu never went above 40 degrees , been using for the past 1 month and everything is perfect i was so scared. And for those wondering why 1050 ti with i9 , i want it for 3d modelling and video editing etc , not gaming. But since modern rendering engines have started using gpu computing power i will switch to a better graphic card when i have money.
Also i never planned on running it without a cooler , just the cooler was gonna be delivered a bit late and i was eager and didn't know how important cooler really is. I thought you only need one when you're gaming or rendering , when using cpu at max efficiency.
But thanks alot everyone , many of your comments were full of guidance and concern.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Just glad we could all help my friend.
At least now you know the importance of them, and can pass that knowledge on to anyone else who needs it.

Just remember to select a best answer so that others visiting the forum can see the solution should they have the same concern. Happy editing! (y)

Reactions: Androximus