Question New PC. Adding extra drives causes reboot loop

Jun 27, 2020
Hi, recently i got a new PC and now I've been trying to add two additional drives to it. Both come from my previous PC (an HDD and a SSD) but are formatted and without any partitions.

The issue is that when I connect the drives and start the PC, it enters a reboot loop and I cant do anything. But if I remove the drives and leave only the one that constains Windows, it enters without issue.

Things I tried:
  • Try to connect only one disc a time. But same result with both
  • Connect only the power cable of the drives, start Windows then connect the SATA cable. The discs appear in file explorer and I can interact with them without problems. But if I connect them during boot time it starts the reboot loop
Also the component list of the new pC is:
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming Socket AM4
  • KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6
  • Alpenföhn Brocken 3
  • Be quiet! Pure Base 500DX
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V Black 32GB (2x16GB) 3200 Mhz (PC4-25600) CL16
  • SF-750F14HG Super Flower Leadex III 80 Plus Gold Modular 750W
  • Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB NVMe PCIe - M.2

Any ideas of what can be causing this?

Thanks!

Hi, recently i got a new PC and now I've been trying to add two additional drives to it. Both come from my previous PC (an HDD and a SSD) but are formatted and without any partitions.

The issue is that when I connect the drives and start the PC, it enters a reboot loop and I cant do anything. But if I remove the drives and leave only the one that constains Windows, it enters without issue.

Things I tried:
  • Try to connect only one disc a time. But same result with both
  • Connect only the power cable of the drives, start Windows then connect the SATA cable. The discs appear in file explorer and I can interact with them without problems. But if I connect them during boot time it starts the reboot loop
Also the component list of the new pC is:
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming Socket AM4
  • KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6
  • Alpenföhn Brocken 3
  • Be quiet! Pure Base 500DX
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V Black 32GB (2x16GB) 3200 Mhz (PC4-25600) CL16
  • SF-750F14HG Super Flower Leadex III 80 Plus Gold Modular 750W
  • Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB NVMe PCIe - M.2
Any ideas of what can be causing this?

Thanks!
Are you setting boot sequence in bios?

Jun 27, 2020
Yeah the boot sequence targets the correct drive (the one with Windows installed).

But now I've been rechecking the options in the BIOS and found one inside the "Boot/Secure boot" options that said "Os Type" the value was set to "Other OSs", then I changed it to Windows UEFI mode, and now I could add the drives without problems....

Still not quite sure if this was the issue :/

Yeah the boot sequence targets the correct drive (the one with Windows installed).

But now I've been rechecking the options in the BIOS and found one inside the "Boot/Secure boot" options that said "Os Type" the value was set to "Other OSs", then I changed it to Windows UEFI mode, and now I could add the drives without problems....

Still not quite sure if this was the issue :/
Best to just disable every boot device other than the one you want

ASK THE COMMUNITY