Question New PC and Upgrading SSDs

Feb 17, 2023
Hi everyone

I hope you are all ok. I have just brought a PC, spec is i9 12th gen, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 2TB SSD (gen 3) and GeForce 4090 graphics card. The PC was at a good price, although i would have preferred DDR5 ram but I think the motherboard only supports DDR4. I have not opening the box!

I do game on the pc but mainly i am doing heavy office work including CAD and photo editing etc. I am going to add some further SSDs and am wondering the best way to do this. I was thinking of adding a 1TB SSD (Gen 4) and them clone or move the OS onto this drive. I was then going to add a second Gen 4 SSD for storage and use the current one (Gen 3) in the pc as further storage. Presumably i can clone the drive (they may be different sizes?) and then change what will be the current C Drive to say E Drive with the new Gen 4 drive as drive C. I know i might need to make changes in the bios.... i have not even taken the PC out of the box yet and am wondering if i should unpack and complete the windows installation or install the drive immediately before doing this. i was also wondering whether to download win 11 and install the fresh os on the new SSD. Would this be best and would the win 11 key get seen when installing or would i need to manually add?

PC Spec is as follows:
Lian Li 215
Intel 12900KF
MSI MAG CORELIQUID 240R V2 - 306-7ZW1B41-813
MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4
4 x DDR4 8GB 3200MHZ FURY BEAST BLACK [KF432C16BB/8]
NVIDIA MSI RTX 4090 24GB GAMING X TRIO
MSI MPG 850W A850GF POWER SUPPLY - MPG A850GF_EU
KINGSTON NV1 M.2 NVME SSD 2TB SNVS/2000G
INTEL AX200 WITH PCI-E ADAPTER
Windows 11 Home

Many thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Matt

TRENDING THREADS