Mar 25, 2020
I am fairly new to building PC's and recently built my first gaming PC, it seems to work fine but when I boot it, it takes me to a screen telling me to press F2 or Del to enter the bios, pressing either of these with my keyboard does absolutely nothing.
I messed around with it for some time and I found that plugging my keyboard in after powering up makes it not light up at all, if I power on the PC with it plugged in it lights up and it seems like there is a small window where the keyboard responds before locking up completely (I found this as keys such as num lock respond for around 0.5 sec before it locks).

I believe my issue is down to my mobo not being able to recognise the keyboard as a keyboard, are there any solutions to this?

Mobo: TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
Keyboard: A pretty bad HP keyboard I got with a pre-built desktop years ago (Model: PR1101U)

Solution
OK, so the keyboard itself seems good. But your new system is not recognizing it. I presume it really is one that plugs into a USB port. I suspect what has happened for whatever reason is your system has a faulty keyboard device driver installed. So, try this.

1. Disconnect your keyboard but keep your mouse plugged in. Reboot, and from what you describe it should boot up but MAY give you a warning that the keyboard has a problem of some kind or is missing. That's OK. Now, use the Mouse to get to Contro Panel ... System and choose the Device Manager screen. Look down the list (you may need to expand some items to see all they contain) and find your keyboard. Right-click on that and remove it completely. Back out and reboot
  2. Go...
Mar 25, 2020
This does sound like a faulty keyboard. I guess your choice is patience until quarantine ends, or effort to get into the attic and try the other.
I just plugged the keyboard into my laptop, I'm typing with it right now and it works fine but whenever I plug it in it says
Setting up device
USB Keyboard

could this mean anything?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
OK, so the keyboard itself seems good. But your new system is not recognizing it. I presume it really is one that plugs into a USB port. I suspect what has happened for whatever reason is your system has a faulty keyboard device driver installed. So, try this.

1. Disconnect your keyboard but keep your mouse plugged in. Reboot, and from what you describe it should boot up but MAY give you a warning that the keyboard has a problem of some kind or is missing. That's OK. Now, use the Mouse to get to Contro Panel ... System and choose the Device Manager screen. Look down the list (you may need to expand some items to see all they contain) and find your keyboard. Right-click on that and remove it completely. Back out and reboot
  2. Go back to the Device Manager and look through it again for any yellow triangle symbols that warn of a faulty Driver. IF there are any right-click on it and choose to Update the driver. After any problems have been cleared, back out and reboot again. Now your system should have NO knowledge of your keyboard.
  3. After the system has booted OK. plug in your keyboard. It should pop up a window saying it has detected a new device (the keyboard) and is installing the driver it needs. Once that is done, your keyboard should work properly again. If it does, shut down and reboot to be sure it does boot cleanly and the keyboard works.

Reactions: Ciaran-
Solution
Mar 25, 2020

2. Go back to the Device Manager and look through it again for any yellow triangle symbols that warn of a faulty Driver. IF there are any right-click on it and choose to Update the driver. After any problems have been cleared, back out and reboot again. Now your system should have NO knowledge of your keyboard.
  3. After the system has booted OK. plug in your keyboard. It should pop up a window saying it has detected a new device (the keyboard) and is installing the driver it needs. Once that is done, your keyboard should work properly again. If it does, shut down and reboot to be sure it does boot cleanly and the keyboard works.
I don't actually have any OS installed on my PC yet, I tried to install Win 10 through a USB drive but it didn't work, I asked a friend and he said it needed a recognisable keyboard to be able to boot to a drive, I don't think my PC has any knowledge of my keyboard as it is.
I'm going to try and plug the keyboard into my laptop though and re install the drivers, hopefully this works, I'll update after I'm done.

Mar 25, 2020
Tried updating drivers, windows said it had the best drivers it could, went to the HP website and downloaded them directly, when I tried to manually put them in windows didn't download it and just said it had the best drivers.
Tried to plug in and boot again, stuck on the TUF GAMING screen telling me to press Del or F2 to enter bios, this is really annoying.
Could it be an issue with the motherboard and not the keyboard? this doesn't make any sense to me.

Mar 25, 2020
Im going to leave my system on for like 30-40 minutes to let it warm up or whatever then im gonna reset and see if I can get into bios before it locks, I cant really think of any other solutions.

TRENDING THREADS