[SOLVED] New PC "boots" runs for about 20 seconds and then shuts off and then starts again and repeats.

Aug 17, 2019
I just built a new pc for a friend of mine.
Parts:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Spire Cooler
ASRock X370 Killer SLI AM4 AMD Promontory X370 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
CORSAIR HYDRO Series H100i PRO RGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm, Dual ML120 PWM Fans, Intel 115x/2066, AMD AM4
Corsair LPX 8GB DRAM 2666MHz C16 memory kit for Systems 8 DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) DDR4 2666
EVGA Supernova 750 P2, 80+ Platinum 750W, Fully Modular ECO Mode, 10 Year Warranty, Includes Free Power On Self Tester, Power Supply 220-P2-0750-X1
NVIDIA GTX 780Ti 3gb

After starting the pc it runs and fans spin and all looks well, then it turns itself off and restarts a second later and repeats.
The Ryzen 5 3600X does NOT have integrated graphics. Yes, I have tried attaching a GPU and no there was no POST on the monitor.
I have also tried booting with only one stick of ram. No success there.
I think I eliminated the possibility of a short because I am booting it on the cardboard box so the motherboard pins on the back couldn't be touching any metal.

HERE is a link to a youtube video of the test rig booting and then failing.

I am very confused and in need of help.

LordVile

Admirable
I just built a new pc for a friend of mine.
Parts:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Spire Cooler
ASRock X370 Killer SLI AM4 AMD Promontory X370 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
CORSAIR HYDRO Series H100i PRO RGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm, Dual ML120 PWM Fans, Intel 115x/2066, AMD AM4
Corsair LPX 8GB DRAM 2666MHz C16 memory kit for Systems 8 DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) DDR4 2666
EVGA Supernova 750 P2, 80+ Platinum 750W, Fully Modular ECO Mode, 10 Year Warranty, Includes Free Power On Self Tester, Power Supply 220-P2-0750-X1
NVIDIA GTX 780Ti 3gb

After starting the pc it runs and fans spin and all looks well, then it turns itself off and restarts a second later and repeats.
The Ryzen 5 3600X does NOT have integrated graphics. Yes, I have tried attaching a GPU and no there was no POST on the monitor.
I have also tried booting with only one stick of ram. No success there.
I think I eliminated the possibility of a short because I am booting it on the cardboard box so the motherboard pins on the back couldn't be touching any metal.

HERE is a link to a youtube video of the test rig booting and then failing.

I am very confused and in need of help.
How long have you just left it to boot loop?

Aug 17, 2019
+1
_

On the motherboard find the bios chip,on this will be a sticker which will tell what bios it contains. Let us know.
I am unable to locate the bios chip and I certainly don't see a sticker anywhere on any chip.
Found IT! The BIOS CHIP has a sticker on it that had been what I assume to be sharpie on it so it just appeared black to me. On the sticker it says "P3.2x", where x is a digit I can't make out.

In my personal system, I have the exact same components EXCEPT for the CPU which in mine is a Ryzen 3700X. When I put it together in 2018 I didn't have an issue with bios. I also checked the bios sticker on my personal setup and found that the sticker says "P2.10".

Also, I don't know if this will be helpful but here;
I do have this information, straight from AsRock site for this motherboard.

BIOS
  • 128Mb AMI UEFI Legal BIOS with GUI support
  • Supports "Plug and Play"
  • ACPI 5.1 compliance wake up events
  • Supports jumperfree
  • SMBIOS 2.3 support
  • CPU, VCORE_NB, DRAM, VPPM, PCH 1.05V, +1.8V, VDDP, PROM 2.5V, Voltage Multi-adjustment
And also from the quick start motherboard manual that ships with the motherboard I have this information.

BIOS Feature
-AMI UEFI Legal BIOS with multilingual GUI support
-Supports "Plug and Play"
-ACPI 5.1 compliance wake up events
-Supports jumperfree
-SMBIOS 2.3 support
-CPU, VCORE_NB, DRAM, VPPM, PCH 1.05V, +1.8V, VDDP, PROM 2.5V, Voltage Multi-adjustment

Last edited:

DMAN999

Respectable
Apr 17, 2019
That motherboard doesn't support Ryzen 3000 series CPU's out of the box.
You need to update the BIOS to a version that does support the Ryzen 3000 CPU's before it will boot with that 3600x installed.
You can probably get a local PC shop to update the BIOS for a small fee.
Read all the BIOS notes here to see which version needs to be flashed to that motherboard:
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370 Killer SLI/index.asp#BIOS

Last edited:

LordVile

Admirable
You need to update the BIOS to a version that does support the Ryzen 3000 CPU's before it will boot with that 3600x installed.
Read all the BIOS notes here to see which version needs to be flashed to that motherboard:
Does AMD still ship out those athlons to people?

Aug 17, 2019
If I purchase a different motherboard that uses a X570 chipset like this one, that would work fine right?

Aug 17, 2019
Yes that motherboard would work with the 3600X.

For the other one is the bios to old,so will need an update to work and with that would you need a shop to do it for you as said above.
If you mean purchasing the motherboard, I can do that through amazon.
But if you are talking about upgrading the bios, I would need help with that. (like a shop to do it for me yes)

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS