[SOLVED] New PC, BSOD playing games under heavy load

Oct 16, 2021
Hi guys, recently purchased a new PC for gaming, but under heavy load in one specific game (just the most strenuous of the games I'm currently running), I'm getting a BSOD with the error CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT. This has happened with the RAM xmp profiles both on and off so I don't think think that is the issue, and neither my CPU nor GPU are overclocked at all. The only thing I've noted is that the crash tends to happen around when the GPU reaches the throttling temperature ~83 deg C.

I've run up against the extent of my knowledge, so I'd really appreciate some help figuring this out.

Here is a link to the full zipped .dmp file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HOhkVZGsiod08MlHPouCbCBYPR9tZ8t9/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Solution
Any thoughts on which is the better choice?

Never heard of Vetroo. Noctua, however, is one of the best (if not the best) CPU air cooler manufacturers (even the king of air coolers, NH-D15, comes from Noctua) and between the two, i'd go with Noctua every day of the week.

depending on what kind clearance I find out I have in my case.

It has mere 140mm CPU clearance only.

Source: https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer-Ultra-3070-Ti
Scroll down a bit, once you reach case selection. Locate the case, click on "More info", select final icon from new pop-up (looks like datasheet) and it's written under there.

NH-12S doesn't fit in there since it's 158mm tall. 140mm is weird clearance and quite less, indicating that...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Full system specs, including PSU make and model (or part number) is?

Also, look into cooling your PC, since when BSoD happens on GPU thermal throttle, easiest fix is to not let GPU thermal throttle in the first place - by improving PC cooling.

Oct 16, 2021
Case: CyberPowerPC AMETHYST 240V Mid-Tower Gaming Case
CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i5-11600KF 6/12 3.90GHz [Turbo 4.9GHz] 12MB Cache LGA1200
Cooler: Cooler Master I71C CPU Air Cooler Anodized Black Aluminum + Copper Core 120mm ARGB Master Fan
SSD: 1TB GIGABYTE AORUS (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD
RAM: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3200MHz Team T-Force Delta RGB
MOBO: ASRock Z590-C/ac ATX, ARGB, 802.11 WiFi, 1 GbE LAN, 3 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 3x M.2 SATA/PCIe
GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX™ 3070 8GB GDDR6
PSU: 750 Watts - CoolerMaster MWE GOLD 750 - V2 80 PLUS GOLD Ultra Quiet Full Modular

based off "whocrashed" and a quick prime95 bench, I'm leaning toward CPU over heating and the cooler recommended by Cyberpower being entirely unsuitable for the cpu and needs to be replaced.

The game I was playing during the crash is known to be a relatively CPU-intensive game so that tracks

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I'm leaning toward CPU over heating and the cooler recommended by Cyberpower being entirely unsuitable for the cpu and needs to be replaced.

CM i71C is nowhere near enough cooling for your CPU, especially since you can OC your CPU as well. That cooler may be a slight hair better than Intel's stock CPU cooler but since it also being small and top-down, it doesn't offer much.

If you'd have Core i3 or Pentium/Celeron in there, then yes, CM i71C would be enough. But for Core i5, i suggest you look towards upgrading CPU cooler. At least mid-sized cooler (e.g Arctic Freezer 34) or when you plan to OC, the look towards big boys (NH-D14, NH-D15, Dark Rock Pro 4).

Oct 16, 2021
CM i71C is nowhere near enough cooling for your CPU, especially since you can OC your CPU as well. That cooler may be a slight hair better than Intel's stock CPU cooler but since it also being small and top-down, it doesn't offer much.

If you'd have Core i3 or Pentium/Celeron in there, then yes, CM i71C would be enough. But for Core i5, i suggest you look towards upgrading CPU cooler. At least mid-sized cooler (e.g Arctic Freezer 34) or when you plan to OC, the look towards big boys (NH-D14, NH-D15, Dark Rock Pro 4).
Yeah I've started looking into beefier cooler, I have my eye on the noctua nh-12s redux or the vetroo v5 depending on what kind clearance I find out I have in my case. Any thoughts on which is the better choice? I don't have any plans for overclocking the CPU.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Any thoughts on which is the better choice?

Never heard of Vetroo. Noctua, however, is one of the best (if not the best) CPU air cooler manufacturers (even the king of air coolers, NH-D15, comes from Noctua) and between the two, i'd go with Noctua every day of the week.

depending on what kind clearance I find out I have in my case.

Scroll down a bit, once you reach case selection. Locate the case, click on "More info", select final icon from new pop-up (looks like datasheet) and it's written under there.

NH-12S doesn't fit in there since it's 158mm tall. 140mm is weird clearance and quite less, indicating that the case was designed for AIO water coolers instead.

From Noctua lineup, and what does fit, at 125mm height, is Noctua NH-U9B SE2,
specs: https://noctua.at/en/nh-u9b-se2/specification

Last edited:
Solution
Oct 16, 2021

NH-12S doesn't fit in there since it's 158mm tall. 140mm is weird clearance and quite less, indicating that the case was designed for AIO water coolers instead.

From Noctua lineup, and what does fit, at 125mm height, is Noctua NH-U9B SE2,
specs: https://noctua.at/en/nh-u9b-se2/specification
It looks like that NH-U9B SE2 isn't compatible with the LGA1200 socket that goes with my mobo/CPU, though it looks like the newer version, the NH-U9S, does and is also only 125mm tall, and is on sale to boot so I think I'll grab that one.

Thanks for the heads up on the height issue with this case, you just saved me a huge hassle exchanging coolers.

Reactions: Aeacus
Oct 16, 2021
Hey @Aeacus , just wanted to thank you for your help figuring my issue out. Got my new NH-U9S installed earlier today and I'm getting much better temperatures, and hopefully solved for good. Appreciate the help!

Reactions: Aeacus