New pc buider, HEEEEEEEELP

Waffle404

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Hello,
I'm a new pc builder and I've browsed the internet for durable computer parts <$800 and I found the following parts:

CPU: i5 3570 @3.40 GHz
GPU: EVGA GTX 660 SC ( SuperClocked)
RAM: 2x4 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus P877 V LK
HDD: 1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM
PSU: Corsair CX750M (CP-9020061-EU)
CASE: BitFenix Raider

It comes down to $900ish, I wasn't planning to spen that much money so here are my questions:

1) Am I doing an overkill by buying the 750W (80 plus bonze)if so which cheaper PSU would you suggest?
2) Could you suggest a cheaper motherboard (no AsRock please)? not planning to overclock anything, ATX or MicroATX.
3) Does the GTX 660 SP give a noticable performance boost in comparison with the normal GTX 660?
(I'm planning to play BF3)

Thanks for stopping by.

4745454b

Titan
Is this for gaming? USA? You can drop down a quality 500W PSU, and I'm not sure what that case costs but there's probably more savings there. ASRock isn't horrible, I nearly bought one of their boards before I saw a great combo on newegg that made me go Gigabyte. On the one hand I'd say you need to get a better GPU if this is a gaming build. OTOH there is nothing wrong with getting a good foundation and then upgrading the GPU (which is easy to do) later when you have more funds. Up to you which path you want to take.

Waffle404

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

This is for gaming in Europe. Is the GTX 660 really that bad? Because I don't think i have the money for a 670 or 680 and I just don't like the AMD cards...
My limit in gaming would be BF3 (not planning to pass that edge).

ordos96

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I also agree that if you are gaming, the graphics card could do with a boost. But more to the financial aspect of your question, the biggest thing is to shop around! I don't know where you were planning on buying all these parts from but TigerDirect has a Toshiba 1TB 7200 RPM drive for $70 with a $30 mail in rebate. So the drive only costs you $40 if you are able to wait. Otherwise they have a WD Blue for $65 (same drive on New Egg is $67.50). That is assuming that you aren't set on only using a Seagate drive. I actually have some white label drives that have lasted me over 3 years, and you can typically get these pretty cheap.

Shop around for the sales, it is normally pretty easy to shave $50 or more off of a build just by shopping around and getting $5-$10 off on this component or that. I was just using the HDD as an example above, but you can apply this to all components. And finally a warning, make sure when you see the price differences, to also calculate in shipping from different stores to make sure that you don't wash the savings away with the cost of shipping.

Edit - Sorry, posted and didn't see you are in Europe, same principle applies, I just don't know where to shop from in Europe.

4745454b

Titan
It's not so much that its bad, but there will be games you won't be able to "max out" at 1080 with the 660. You might be better dropping down a CPU or two and get something faster. Or as I suggest get what you listed, then upgrade the GPU when you have more money.

Waffle404

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

Good advice; i was planning to buy all from amazon.com, and about the GPU which would you suggest? plus i think I'll drop down to a micro atx motherboard (AsRock) and also do you think that a Cooler Master GX LITE 500W (Single +12V Rail for up to 36A, 86% effinciency) would power this pc?
Thanks again

tfhummel

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
My personal preference, I would bump up to the i5 4670k haswell processor with the Z87-Plus Asus board, maybe a board not so fancy but it's what I have and I love it. You will be future proofing yourself and personally I love the Over clocking the haswell can do. Either you love it or hate them, I love um haha. It's a decent bang for the buck. You won't be able to over clock that cpu you listed. Also they are only 20 dollars difference in processor price between the ivy bridge and haswell.

ordos96

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009

For GPU, since you mentioned wanting to stick with Nvidia, i would check out the GTX 760. If you compare the OC 660 to a standard 760, you are less than $50 USD price difference Overall you are looking at about 20% performance increase.

I also agree with tfhummel, that you will be better off if you upgrade to the i5 4670. However i would not recommend the 4670k unless you plan to overclock. This is only about a $10 difference from what you were planning on getting ($30 if you get the unlocked multiplier version).