[SOLVED] New PC build after 13 years

will2power

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
My system is 13 years old, built with advice from people here and never had any problems. A user helped me become aware that it is well past expiry time and, as I want to make upgrades, most will be throttled by old technology. I have decided to replace my desktop PC

Approximate Purchase Date: Early December

Budget Range: 400-500 USD, 60-70,000 JPY

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Photography, Photoshop, Design

Are you buying a monitor: Not needed

Parts to Upgrade
: Motherboard, Graphics, CPU, Memory, SSD drive

Do you need to buy OS: Maybe. Have a volume MAK version of Windows Pro and not sure how many activations. I bought it on ebay. It was sold as a retail version.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Sites like Amazon are good for indicators as they can bring up items with Japanese prices. US, UK etc sites can have parts I cannot get/ that are hard to find.

Parts Preferences: No specific makers as I lack the knowledge but Japan market availability.

Overclocking: Maybe, if stable

SLI or Crossfire: Not exactly sure what they do so prob no.

Your Monitor Resolution: Eizo monitor with 2560 x 1440 res.

Additional Comments: Looking for something reasonable with longevity but do not need top of the range. Will not be gaming. Japanese parts and prices can be different from the US, so choices are good, sometimes something can cost far more or less here depending on availability. Can be flexible on price, if upgrading a part makes a big difference for example.

Why Are You Upgrading: See top, PC oudated

A few questions that can help me decide what to buy;

Motherboard. I am wondering the difference between the numbers and letters, is a B, H, X etc similar between all makers?

For example an AsRock B660, MSI B660, Gigabyte B660, Asus B660 all have a similar “base” with added extras?

My other understanding is that the number corresponds to the CPU that can be used. AMD Ryzen 5 for the numbers with 500, Ryzen 6 for 600 etc?

If this is the case can a more advanced motherboard support a lesser CPU, for example a B660 can have a Ryzen 6 or 5 but a B550 must have Ryzen 5?

Apologies for all the questions and options, for the first time everything is really new to me, I have been out of touch for a long time.

Current considerations,

ASRock

B660M-HDV,
B660M Pro RS,
H670 PG Riptide
H610M-HDV/M.2

If worthwhile a step up in price like a B660M “Steel Legend” is recommended though not sure what it actually means.

Asus (worth the extra cost?)

Asus TUF Gaming B660-M Plus D4
Asus TUF Gaming B550-PLUS AM4
Asus Prime H610 D4

MSI

MSI Mag B660M mortar
MSI B660 tomahawk
MSI pro B660M-P

GIGABYTE

MB5689 H610M
GIGABYTE B550M AORUS PRO-P
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra
Gigabyte X590 Aorus Ultra
Gigabyte B660M Aorus Pro

CPU

AMD Ryzen 5 5500
I just learnt that Intel has CPU alternatives, are they compatible with the motherboards mentioned and how do they compare to Ryzen? (only one I had heard of)

Graphics

ASUS AMD Radeon RX 550 2G (Cheapest but outdated performance?)
51Risc Radeon RX 580 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 (cheap but unknown maker?)
PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 6400
Radeon RX 6500 XT MECH 2X 4G OC

An Alternative option is a CPU with built in Graphics. Questions I would have are “can you upgrade the graphics card later?” and “how does the built in graphics CPU compare with lower end graphics cards mentioned?”.

SSD drive

Likely a Crucial Crucial SSD 1TB (MX or BX)

Memory

ADATA 16gb 8x2 DDR4 2666
panram value 16gb 8x2 DDR4 2666

These were the cheapest RAM options, for example “RipJaws” but I could not find them here. Is there anything I need to be careful of when buying?

My current PC has Corsair Vengence 2 x 4 GB 1333.

I have a Cooler Master Case (CM 690) which I am now wondering about. I never considered the front I/O panel for example. USB 2.0 x 2, IEEE 1394a x 1, Microphone x 1, eSATA x 1, Speaker x 1 (HD Audio support)

It has a cooler master hyper 212 heat sink for the CPU which I guess is not needed anymore? Also extra fans for cooling which may not be needed either.

The power supply is a Corsair TX650W, still working from 13 years ago! When it finally dies, is it a threat to the PC parts? Of a case of just time to replace? If potentially it could damage new parts I will replace.

A final note to this massive post (thanks for reading if you made it this far!). The 2nd hand market in Japan is excellent. Here once opened goods cannot be returned unless faulty, also if a box is damaged the cost goes down a lot, even if unopened. Many places sell unused or barely used parts at massive discounts. Things like cases could be picked up really cheap. I may just replace the whole system.

Thank you for your time!!!

Solution
The price was just me trying to figure out a budget to start but as I have very little idea as to what is out there I can be flexible.

From the list in my 1st post is there anything that stands out as a good value for money buy?

They go from about 13,000-26,000 yen (90-180 USD),

You likely need to replace all 13 year old parts, with the possible exception of case and drives....although I'd replace them too.

400 dollars will get you virtually nowhere for all new parts.

600 might get you into tolerable range. ....if shopping in USA. You are elsewhere.

Integrated video can be disabled if you will instead be using a separate video card.

Most AMD processors do NOT have integrated video, but it is included on the AMD...
"Parts to Upgrade: Motherboard, Graphics, CPU, Memory, SSD drive"

The above would be a pretty tall order for 400 to 500 dollars in the USA. Doable, but not ideal. I have no clue about Japan prices.

You don't mention power supply. If the existing power supply is 13 years old, you'd certainly need a new one.

Some CPUs include a CPU cooler. Some don't. You'll need to buy one if not included.

Your existing case may or may not be worth keeping. What is it?

At least half of those motherboards you mentioned are for Intel processors only. The others for AMD. You can't put an Intel CPU on an AMD motherboard and vice versa. So you need to pick AMD or Intel. Either can do what you need to do.

The numbers in the model name typically refer to the "chipset" on the motherboard. You don't need to get bogged down in the finer points of that, but chipsets differ in the features they make available to the user.

Z series are generally the most costly among Intel motherboards. B series a step down, but perfectly fine for most users.

will2power

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Thanks Lafong. The price was just me trying to figure out a budget to start but as I have very little idea as to what is out there I can be flexible. I guess for purpose, photography and art based, 3D work a strong possibility too, I should prioritise hardware in importance order? MB prob biggest decision and one that will impact future upgrades. My current system held up well with ZBrush but I think as I delve deeper the limitations will become more obvious.

The power supply and case I wrote later in the text, it was very long text, haha. As mentioned the power supply is a Corsair TX650, Cooler Master Case (CM 690), case looks bit like this one but less advanced

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/legacy-products/cases/cm-690-ii-basic/

At least half of those motherboards you mentioned are for Intel processors only. The others for AMD. You can't put an Intel CPU on an AMD motherboard and vice versa. So you need to pick AMD or Intel. Either can do what you need to do.

I just realised that you are of course right. I wrongly assumed that all motherboards with "500" or "600" in them referred to the Ryzen 5 and 6 CPUs. A look again at the sites for AsRock for example and the B "60" series (B560, B660) seem to be Intel while the B "50" series AMD. Then there are the H, X, W, Z, C etc, now I am really confused. It explains price variations in MBs though, I thought a B560 was simple version up from B550 but chipsets are different and knowing Z are most costly for Intel is good info. I guess I should not look at the numbers too much and think of use? What should I look for in terms of what processer, AMD or Intel, the MB can handle, is there something to refer to for indication of max CPU or even basic CPU it can handle?

Would you recommend deciding on Intel or AMD first or start with a motherboard I want then look into CPU? Memory and storage I feel are not as important. I need to decide on a motherboard I think, value for money wise AMD and Intel are similarly balanced price for performance I guess? A lot of the AsRock motherboards are indeed Intel! From the list in my 1st post is there anything that stands out as a good value for money buy? I basically used this site to research the best buys and looked at the affordable ones. They go from about 13,000-26,000 yen (90-180 USD), that is kind of the range I am looking at, can spend more for good jump up in performance.

I guess I will be buying a new power supply too. The user "Darkbreeze" convinced me to get a new set up and gave great recommendation, I am using for reference but the parts vary in Japan price wise, some are not available either. The integrated graphics is a very tempting idea but I wonder if the board can take a graphics card too, like disabling the onboard graphics? I am thinking far in future or in case the 3D work I get skyrockets or something. This was Darkbreeze's list, I used as a "base" to research from.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($106.97 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($50.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $347.94

The price was just me trying to figure out a budget to start but as I have very little idea as to what is out there I can be flexible.

From the list in my 1st post is there anything that stands out as a good value for money buy?

They go from about 13,000-26,000 yen (90-180 USD),

You likely need to replace all 13 year old parts, with the possible exception of case and drives....although I'd replace them too.

400 dollars will get you virtually nowhere for all new parts.

600 might get you into tolerable range. ....if shopping in USA. You are elsewhere.

Integrated video can be disabled if you will instead be using a separate video card.

Most AMD processors do NOT have integrated video, but it is included on the AMD 5600G. "G" stands for "graphics".

Your existing Hyper 212 cooler may be re-usable but would likely need an adapter to fit on a new motherboard. It is a mid-level cooler and would probably be adequate if re-usable.

I know nothing about your case. I'd give up on it if 13 years old, but budget may force you to keep it?

An inexpensive baseline Intel based system might be:

CPU: i3-12100; about 130 in USA; this has integrated video. The cheaper i3-12100 F (about 110?) does NOT have integrated video.

Motherboard; something designated as B660M; various possibilities between 90 and 150; likely Asrock, Gigabyte or MSI.

These are both pretty good:

MSI Mag B660M mortar

Gigabyte B660M Aorus Pro

Be sure to get the "DDR 4" versions of those. I think both are also available in a DDR 5 version; avoid DDR 5 version unless you want to pay more for DDR 5 RAM. A given board works only with one type of RAM.

Power supply; possibly 60 minimum; name brand ATX. Lots of bad power supplies out there, so you need to be careful. Maybe 400 to 500 watts maximum.

RAM; DDR 4; a kit of 2 sticks; ideally 8 GB per stick; total 16; about 50 dollars; possibly only 8 total (kit of 2 sticks, 4 GB per stick) if forced by budget.

Drive: basic 2.5 inch SATA SSD. The Crucial MX 500 is a good choice. You need to determine capacity. Maybe you don't need more than 500 GB? Cost near 50.

Cooler; use cooler supplied with CPU or possibly up to 30 dollars for a separate cooler.

Case?? Budget level mid-tower; 40 to 70?

Separate video card? Possibly not needed depending on your personal requirements.

New Windows needed? Probably at least 100 dollars.

Does that totally destroy your budget?

Can you spend 450? Can you spend 800?

Not much point in going farther without a price ceiling and knowledge of Japanese prices...which I do NOT have.

When must you buy? Next week? March 2023?

Last edited:
Solution

will2power

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Thank you for all the feedback, the information is really appreciated! First answering your questions;

I mentioned “Early December” as the estimated time to buy. This time is not set in stone, just falls between 2 of my exhibitions and I will have time to research and buy.

New Windows OS I was vague about when mentioning “have a volume MAK version of Windows Pro and not sure how many activations” but really I guess I cannot know how many activations are left? As mentioned it was sold as a retail version on ebay and I bought it before realising it was not.

The case I referred to, @Cooler Master 690@, it is a little like this one except older!
https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/legacy-products/cases/cm-690-ii-basic/

I think replacing it with a 2nd hand Case is prob good idea as 2nd hand market is excellent and case is a case, if I can see it is ok then prob ok?

Finally my budget was listed as 4-500 USD when I thought I just needed a few parts, making a totally new build I will need to extend it for sure.

The info and possible system you gave me is fantastic, thank you! Here are the prices of your recommendations (in blue) in JPY and USD

CPU: i3-12100; about 130 in USA; this has integrated video. The cheaper i3-12100 F (about 110?) does NOT have integrated video.

I3-12100 ¥19,980/ $142

Motherboard; something designated as B660M; various possibilities between 90 and 150; likely Asrock, Gigabyte or MSI.
These are both pretty good:
MSI Mag B660M mortar
¥25,280/ $180
Gigabyte B660M Aorus Pro ¥19,800/ $141

Memory

ADATA Premier 16GB(16GBx1) DDR4 3200MHz(PC4-25600) ¥6,675/$47
ADATA Premier 32GB(16GBx2) DDR4 3200MHz(PC4-25600) ¥12,972/ $92
CFD Panram, Gigastone memory are similar price, other brands can be double or more

SSD

Crucial MX500 ¥5,218 $37
Crucial MX1000 ¥9,900 $70

Crucial P5 PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD not far off those prices, seems a lot faster but I think connectors are different? Can it still be used as main drive? An alternative I am thinking of is going with 500GB as you recommended and adding a slower HDD drive for “archiving”.

To round up the main parts, lowest and highest.
I3-12100, Gigabyte B660M Aorus Pro, 16GB (2 x 8GB) memory, MX500 SSD. Total $367 ($51,000)
I3-12100, MSI Mag B660M mortar, 32GB (2 x 16GB) memory, MX1000 SSD. Total $484 ($68,000)

I am not sure how much the extra stuff needed would be, if I could use my cooler with an adaptor then I guess adaptor price vs buying new cooler for CPU.
The extra fans bought for the case could still be used?

I am tempted to build entire new system and leave old one for use in garage/ painting studio, with cheapest 2nd hand monitor I can get.

Maybe I will put together similar AMD list for comparison