New PC Build all games crash during play

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

citizensoldier

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Hi everyone. I recently built a gaming computer, the specs are

Windows 7 64-bit

Z68X-UD3-B3 GIGABYTE Motherboard

Intel i5-2500K CPU @ 3.3GHz

8 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) RAM

2x MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 in SLI

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200 RPM

Creative X-Fi Titanium 7.1 Sound Card

I think those are all the important components

Basically I built it about a month ago and it ran fine for a few days but then all my games started crashing to Windows after a random amount of time. I used a driver cleaner and uninstalled all my video drivers then reninstalled with lasted and still they crash. I can run all the games I play, Crysis 2, Portal 2, Metro 2033, ARMA 2, all on highest settings and while I play I have great framerate the performance does not seem to be lagging at all but after a while it will crash to windows and say "(gamename).exe has encountered a problem" what could be the problem? Hardware? Im at a loss. Any help would be great thank you.

kashifme21

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009

I think it was a combination. 90-100C on the CPU is insane(specially for a 32nm CPU). For portal 2 he claims that the game is crashing at a particular point which means the game files could be corrupted, A reinstall might help.

My I7 980x is a 32nm CPU @ 4.5ghz it barely breaks 75c with prime 95 running, On games its always below 65C. Granted i am using a meglahems Heat sink with a 4krpm fan(though its always running on low rpm to keep the noise down).

Josh Darlington

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
Oh god I am having the exact same problem. My games just randomly crash on my build. I have Asus GPU monitor and I can't see anything abnormal when it happens. I believe mine is happening when the game tries to load data - however I have both an SSD and HDD and it happens on both. Faulty motherboard or is this still likely a cpu problem?