[SOLVED] New PC Build- Am I over-doing it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
Hi everyone,

I am building my 3rd custom-built PC: mrmike16 - Saved Part Lists - PCPartPicker

According to PCPartPicker, everything is compatible. I'm hoping that is actually the case- If there are flaws, please let me know. I'm still only considering doing this or getting a laptop- that depends on whether or not they will come back in stock any time soon and if I really need to move my main PC around.

I'm not a heavy gamer. Usually the most resource-heavy activity on a computer is converting VHS tapes to digital (Which does need power, otherwise the video jumps) or using many tabs on a browser, which I think 16GB of RAM will handle just fine. I'm hoping to get into programming eventually, as well. I'm just wondering if maybe this is too much? That was my mistake on my previous build- Over $1,000 did seem like overkill for me. I do like to future-proof- I'm investing in a computer, I don't want to have to do that again too soon. I was aiming for around $500 this time, since I think that's what average users buy desktops for (And those include Windows), and ended up with over $716.33. I could technically combine the two hard drives into a 1TB SSD or 2TB, but I think an SSD+HDD setup is more reliable. I already have a copy of Windows, so that does save some money.

This is definitely fun to do, though. I've missed it.

Thanks for any input!

Solution
That makes sense. So now they're offering more or less the same?

This is the build I have currently. I'm not liking the price, though, and many motherboards seem to have the need for a BIOS update to be compatible with the AMD 5600G CPU. My Third Custom Build (2) - Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core, Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker
Intel tops out at offering 8 cores and 16 threads on the 11th gen and 10 cores on the 10th gen. Both of these solutions run agonizingly hot as well. Typically hitting into the 85C+ range even with 360 and 420mm radiators while in their PL2 and PL1 states (boosting parameters). You can set them not to use so much power but then you lose a decent chunk of performance. Meanwhile my 3900x...

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
Well I was due for an upgrade and I wanted more cores and threads than intel was offering at the time. Do I use all those cores and threads? No, but I see upwards of 70% usage at a time on a daily basis. 5 years from now I may be maxing this thing out and if I opted for less CPU in the intel offerings I may be feeling the pain in the future. I came from a 3570k @ 4.5ghz

This is the build I have currently. I'm not liking the price, though, and many motherboards seem to have the need for a BIOS update to be compatible with the AMD 5600G CPU. My Third Custom Build (2) - Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core, Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker

Intel tops out at offering 8 cores and 16 threads on the 11th gen and 10 cores on the 10th gen. Both of these solutions run agonizingly hot as well. Typically hitting into the 85C+ range even with 360 and 420mm radiators while in their PL2 and PL1 states (boosting parameters). You can set them not to use so much power but then you lose a decent chunk of performance. Meanwhile my 3900x has seen 75C on about 10 occasions and those were all synthetic tests with similar cooling offering similar performance.

You can use a BIOS flashback feature to get the BIOS update needed to support the CPU without needing to assemble beyond connecting the motherboard to the PSU. Its not that much of an ask when it take 10 minutes from start to finish. The next thing to do to get the price down would be to wait for an Intel 11400 to be on sale for its actual 189.99 dollar MSRP to hit that budget right on the nose. You could also do it like this. It has better RAM (very important on AMD platforms) a motherboard to support the front USB-C + 2 USB 3.1 ports and Micro atx for the Silverstone case, and a 1tb ssd for now instead of a 500gb + 2tb hdd (to lower cost a bit), and a PSU that will serve you just as well although being slightly not as good.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($258.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Silverstone RL05 ATX Mid Tower Case ($96.23 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $714.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-30 23:41 EDT-0400

Last edited:
Solution

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
Intel tops out at offering 8 cores and 16 threads on the 11th gen and 10 cores on the 10th gen. Both of these solutions run agonizingly hot as well. Typically hitting into the 85C+ range even with 360 and 420mm radiators while in their PL2 and PL1 states (boosting parameters). You can set them not to use so much power but then you lose a decent chunk of performance. Meanwhile my 3900x has seen 75C on about 10 occasions and those were all synthetic tests with similar cooling offering similar performance.

You can use a BIOS flashback feature to get the BIOS update needed to support the CPU without needing to assemble beyond connecting the motherboard to the PSU. Its not that much of an ask when it take 10 minutes from start to finish. The next thing to do to get the price down would be to wait for an Intel 11400 to be on sale for its actual 189.99 dollar MSRP to hit that budget right on the nose. You could also do it like this. It has better RAM (very important on AMD platforms) a motherboard to support the front USB-C + 2 USB 3.1 ports and Micro atx for the Silverstone case, and a 1tb ssd for now instead of a 500gb + 2tb hdd (to lower cost a bit), and a PSU that will serve you just as well although being slightly not as good.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($258.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Silverstone RL05 ATX Mid Tower Case ($96.23 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $714.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-30 23:41 EDT-0400
Thanks for all the help. I think I'll take my time and compare the options, and hope that I'll get the best bang for buck. I really appreciate it!

Thanks for all the help. I think I'll take my time and compare the options, and hope that I'll get the best bang for buck. I really appreciate it!
Any time @mrmike16 Make another thread or continue this one if you please. I am sure there are plenty of other builders with great advice as well if and when you are ready. There is no rush either so take your time. Cheers!

Reactions: mrmike16