mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
Hi everyone,

I am building my 3rd custom-built PC: mrmike16 - Saved Part Lists - PCPartPicker

According to PCPartPicker, everything is compatible. I'm hoping that is actually the case- If there are flaws, please let me know. I'm still only considering doing this or getting a laptop- that depends on whether or not they will come back in stock any time soon and if I really need to move my main PC around.

I'm not a heavy gamer. Usually the most resource-heavy activity on a computer is converting VHS tapes to digital (Which does need power, otherwise the video jumps) or using many tabs on a browser, which I think 16GB of RAM will handle just fine. I'm hoping to get into programming eventually, as well. I'm just wondering if maybe this is too much? That was my mistake on my previous build- Over $1,000 did seem like overkill for me. I do like to future-proof- I'm investing in a computer, I don't want to have to do that again too soon. I was aiming for around $500 this time, since I think that's what average users buy desktops for (And those include Windows), and ended up with over $716.33. I could technically combine the two hard drives into a 1TB SSD or 2TB, but I think an SSD+HDD setup is more reliable. I already have a copy of Windows, so that does save some money.

This is definitely fun to do, though. I've missed it.

Thanks for any input!

Solution
That makes sense. So now they're offering more or less the same?

This is the build I have currently. I'm not liking the price, though, and many motherboards seem to have the need for a BIOS update to be compatible with the AMD 5600G CPU. My Third Custom Build (2) - Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core, Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker
Intel tops out at offering 8 cores and 16 threads on the 11th gen and 10 cores on the 10th gen. Both of these solutions run agonizingly hot as well. Typically hitting into the 85C+ range even with 360 and 420mm radiators while in their PL2 and PL1 states (boosting parameters). You can set them not to use so much power but then you lose a decent chunk of performance. Meanwhile my 3900x...
Hi everyone,

I am building my 3rd custom-built PC: mrmike16 - Saved Part Lists - PCPartPicker

According to PCPartPicker, everything is compatible. I'm hoping that is actually the case- If there are flaws, please let me know. I'm still only considering doing this or getting a laptop- that depends on whether or not they will come back in stock any time soon and if I really need to move my main PC around.

I'm not a heavy gamer. Usually the most resource-heavy activity on a computer is converting VHS tapes to digital (Which does need power, otherwise the video jumps) or using many tabs on a browser, which I think 16GB of RAM will handle just fine. I'm hoping to get into programming eventually, as well. I'm just wondering if maybe this is too much? That was my mistake on my previous build- Over $1,000 did seem like overkill for me. I do like to future-proof- I'm investing in a computer, I don't want to have to do that again too soon. I was aiming for around $500 this time, since I think that's what average users buy desktops for (And those include Windows), and ended up with over $716.33. I could technically combine the two hard drives into a 1TB SSD or 2TB, but I think an SSD+HDD setup is more reliable. I already have a copy of Windows, so that does save some money.

Thanks for any input!
Looks pretty good to me.

280 dollars for a 11400 is not good. Mind as well get the 5600x for 279.99 or 11600k / 11500k at that point. If you can try to get a 11400 or 11400f for less than 200 dollars, otherwise you are overpaying for it. If you cannot find one for that the next cpu you could get would be the 10400 or 10400f for 180 or less.

The f labeled intel processors do not have integrated graphics and neither do the x labeled AMD processors

Personally with the the way prices are today I would do this;

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($258.96 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital WD Blue 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($62.02 @ Amazon)
Total: $702.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-29 13:03 EDT-0400

Last edited:
Reactions: Flayed

logainofhades

Titan
While there is no such thing as future proof, spending a bit more now, to avoid spending a lot more later, is never a bad idea. Overkill can be a good thing, in that regard. The best of both worlds, with regards to CPU performance, and IGP performance, is the 5700g, which could prove useful if you need the extra cores/threads for your programming. The stock cooler, on the 11400 is terrible, and should be replaced with an aftermarket solution. You also want good airflow, as modern CPU's are sensitive to temps, with regards to the clock speeds they can boost to.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($358.39 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Vetroo V5 52 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Silicon Power 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($53.97 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital WD_BLACK SN750 SE 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital WD Blue 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cougar MX330-G Air ATX Mid Tower Case ($71.89 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($62.02 @ Amazon)
Total: $818.22
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-29 12:50 EDT-0400

5600g has better graphics, if that matters to you.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($258.96 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital WD_BLACK SN750 SE 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $718.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-29 12:49 EDT-0400

Intel solution, if you wish to stay with Intel.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-11600K 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($264.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H570 Steel Legend ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $729.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-29 12:57 EDT-0400

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
280 dollars for a 11400 is not good. Mind as well get the 5600x for 279.99 or 11600k / 11500k at that point. If you can try to get a 11400 or 11400f for less than 200 dollars, otherwise you are overpaying for it. If you cannot find one for that the next cpu you could get would be the 10400 or 10400f for 180 or less.
On my last build I got the i5-6600 for the same reason, and I agree with you. However, the i5-11600K (The normal 11600 isn't in stock) doesn't include a CPU cooler, so it's $265+a cooler, so like $300. That makes it go up a lot.

Going back to the 10th gen CPU would be worth it?

On my last build I got the i5-6600 for the same reason, and I agree with you. However, the i5-11600K (The normal 11600 isn't in stock) doesn't include a CPU cooler, so it's $265+a cooler, so like $300. That makes it go up a lot.

Going back to the 10th gen CPU would be worth it?
The 10400 is a not a pushover and is nearly the same performance of an 11400. If you can get either for 200 or less then I would say that's acceptable. I would however strongly consider the 5600G from AMD as it is just as fast as the 11400 but the integrated graphics are 2x better at least in most uses. The build I made along with @logainofhades build's are very good. Many small improvements over your build like going with the EVGA G3 PSU, WD 750 Black SSD, better case selections, 7200 rpm HDD over the 5400 rpm drive.

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
Sorry @logainofhades and @helper800 , I had to refresh the page again to see your replies. I like your suggestions, even though they are all still above $700. I've never actually gone for AMD before. Are there disadvantages on the AMD builds when comparing it to the Intel one you recommended? From what I remember of them a few years ago, they seemed to heat up more.

I don't plan on buying a dedicated GPU just yet, although I might in the future, so I think that might be a big plus, having good integrated graphics. The 5600G and 5700G are both the newest generation? I'm very outdated when it comes to AMD's line-up of processors.

The thing I like about the case I chose is the optical disk drive bay. I'm not ready to give that up just yet. If it's necessary, though, I'll just use an external when needed. But it lacks the USB-C port. Then again, most are.

Western Digital's SSD is better than the Samsung 870? Again, I am not up to date. When it comes to SSDs, I look for reliability. If it's super fast but will die in 2-3 years, that isn't worth it to me.

As for the EVGA, I think that's the same one I picked.

There's a possible compatibility issue in logainofhades' build - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RZ6wRT not sure if a BIOS update would fix it or not.

Also, are these parts pricier because of COVID-19? Or this is normal?

Last edited:
Sorry @logainofhades and @helper800 , I had to refresh the page again to see your replies. I like your suggestions, even though they are all still above $700. I've never actually gone for AMD before. Are there disadvantages on the AMD builds when comparing it to the Intel one you recommended? From what I remember of them a few years ago, they seemed to heat up more.

I don't plan on buying a dedicated GPU just yet, although I might in the future, so I think that might be a big plus, having good integrated graphics. The 5600G and 5700G are both the newest generation? I'm very outdated when it comes to AMD's line-up of processors.

The thing I like about the case I chose is the optical disk drive bay. I'm not ready to give that up just yet. If it's necessary, though, I'll just use an external when needed. But it lacks the USB-C port. Then again, most are.

Western Digital's SSD is better than the Samsung 870? Again, I am not up to date. When it comes to SSDs, I look for reliability. If it's super fast but will die in 2-3 years, that isn't worth it to me.

As for the EVGA, I think that's the same one I picked.

Also, are these parts pricier because of COVID-19? Or this is normal?
1. The performance between these particular CPUs are within 10% of each other. The AMD CPU is basically identical in performance with the 11400 except they trade blows in certain tasks, one is 5% faster or slower than the other here and there. As far as the heat goes, intel actually makes the much more hot CPUs now because of many reasons mainly being that intel is still on a 14nm+++++++++++ node and AMD is on 7nm++.

2. The 5000G series AMD APUs just came out recently and are the latest offerings from AMD as far as APU's go. The AMD APU's have much better graphics performance compared to the Intel counterparts.

3. The USB-C port is usually something to find on the newer cases but I can check around for one. The 5.25 inch bays have basically gone the way of the dinosaurs at this point. There are a few cases that offer 5.25 bays but the benefit of airflow has overtaken convenience of the internal bay. I recommend getting an external disk reader as you have said.

4. The WD750 black is not just the same speed in practical use as the Samsung 980 you chose but its cheaper and WD stands by its products. Any company can make a product with issues of course but WD seems to be about as good quality wise as Samsung.

5. You chose a much lower end B5 EVGA PSU, we chose the much better and more reliable G3 version.

Reactions: artk2219

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
1. The performance between these particular CPUs are within 10% of each other. The AMD CPU is basically identical in performance with the 11400 except they trade blows in certain tasks, one is 5% faster or slower than the other here and there. As far as the heat goes, intel actually makes the much more hot CPUs now because of many reasons mainly being that intel is still on a 14nm+++++++++++ node and AMD is on 7nm++.

2. The 5000G series AMD APUs just came out recently and are the latest offerings from AMD as far as APU's go. The AMD APU's have much better graphics performance compared to the Intel counterparts.

3. The USB-C port is usually something to find on the newer cases but I can check around for one. The 5.25 inch bays have basically gone the way of the dinosaurs at this point. There are a few cases that offer 5.25 bays but the benefit of airflow has overtaken convenience of the internal bay. I recommend getting an external disk reader as you have said.

4. The WD750 black is not just the same speed in practical use as the Samsung 980 you chose but its cheaper and WD stands by its products. Any company can make a product with issues of course but WD seems to be about as good quality wise as Samsung.

5. You chose a much lower end B5 EVGA PSU, we chose the much better and more reliable G3 version.

And this is exactly why I posted here (Well that and the pricing). I suppose I'll drop the 5.25 drive bay for the better airflow and the aesthetics.

So, there is really no reason not to go for the AMD CPU. Good to know!

If you could find a good budget case with 2 USB 3 ports and a USB Type C port on the front, I would appreciate that, since I am looking through them but it's taking a while to look at reviews for each one.

Reactions: Why_Me
And this is exactly why I posted here (Well that and the pricing). I suppose I'll drop the 5.25 drive bay for the better airflow and the aesthetics.

So, there is really no reason not to go for the AMD CPU. Good to know!

If you could find a good budget case with 2 USB 3 ports and a USB Type C port on the front, I would appreciate that, since I am looking through them but it's taking a while to look at reviews for each one.
So there are a couple case options and they are both great cases but they come with some caveats. we have this Lian Li Lancool II Mesh which has 2 front USB 3.x + 1 USB type C. It one of the best cases on the market and comes with a fan controller with preset speeds on the front I/O, but its 129.99. Not within your budget exactly. Then there is the Corsair 4000D which is another great case with a USB type-C but only 1 extra USB 3.x on the front I/O, however, it is 90 dollars which is acceptable adjacent compared to the budget. Then there is the wildcard Silverstone RL05W-W that has all that you want 2 x 3.x USB +1 USB type-C and even the 5.25 bay you wanted for 97 dollars. If I had to pick based on what I have worked with the Lian Li is a brilliant case, but I am biased.

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
That Lian Li case does look very appealing. I'll consider adding the extra $30 for it, since I think having a USB-C port on the desktop will make a huge difference in a few years, and one USB 3 port wouldn't be enough for transferring between 2 drives easily without going to the back of the PC.

The Corsair 4000D is one that I was looking at, but yes, 1 USB 3.0 port will probably not be enough.

The Silverstone also looks good, if less appealing, than the Lian Li case. It's a wildcard because of the lack of reviews I presume? After another look at it, I realized it's a micro-ATX case. Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure if I have a need for ATX or micro-ATX, but I thought that the case should be ATX in case I upgrade it later on. Not sure about that at all, though.

Also, the MSI B550-A PRO motherboard kind of worries me with the Amazon reviews. Many bad ones are being manufactured, apparently. I'll keep an eye out for another one.

Last edited:

artk2219

Distinguished
Hi everyone,

Thanks for any input!

Looks pretty good, i would consider moving to the 10400 and saving 63 dollars though, or if you have a graphics card you can use in the build then using 10400F and saving near 100 dollars, you'll lose maybe 10% performance but save quite a bit and you can always upgrade to a better CPU later if need be. The power supply isnt amazing though, you may want to look at a better unit. You also may want to look at spending a smidge more on your memory, i havent found many reviews on those silicon power sticks.

Last edited:

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
Looks pretty good, i would consider moving to the 10400 and saving 63 dollars though, of if you have a graphics card you can use in the build then using 10400F and saving near 100 dollars, you'll lose maybe 10% performance but save quite a bit and you can always upgrade to a better CPU later if need be. The power supply isnt amazing though, you may want to look at a better unit. You also may want to look at spending a smidge more on your memory, i havent found many reviews on this silicon power sticks.

Thanks,
From what the others have been saying, I think I am now leaning towards a new generation AMD CPU. The performance is more important to me than the graphics, but the AMD 5600G seems to have both. I'll take your advice and look for other memory sticks that have good reviews.

Reactions: artk2219

artk2219

Distinguished
Thanks,
From what the others have been saying, I think I am now leaning towards a new generation AMD CPU. The performance is more important to me than the graphics, but the AMD 5600G seems to have both. I'll take your advice and look for other memory sticks that have good reviews.

Sounds good, honestly AMD has the better platform right now, I just pointed to another Intel chip in case you weren't looking to make that switch. But you can definitely get a Ryzen 5 APU with much better graphics, better performance, runs cooler and more efficiently for the same price, and with socket AM4 you have the ability to upgrade to a 16 core chip in the future in case you need it whereas LGA 1200 limits you to a 10 core chip on the 10000 series line.

Reactions: mrmike16
The Silverstone also looks good, if less appealing, than the Lian Li case. It's a wildcard because of the lack of reviews I presume? After another look at it, I realized it's a micro-ATX case. Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure if I have a need for ATX or micro-ATX, but I thought that the case should be ATX in case I upgrade it later on. Not sure about that at all, though.
Yes, its a bit of a wildcard pick because its a smaller form factor case but the difference between mATX and ATX motherboards and cases is fairly slim nowah days. Please let me know if you want to do any more research on parts, I can keep looking if you want.

As far as the aesthetics goes, in my opinion, the Lian Li Lancool II mesh is very nice. They also have that same case in white for a bit cheaper and you can get both colors with or without aRGB fans. It has something for everybody. The fit and finish, and general feel of quality on that Lian Li is very nice. I have worked with that case a few times now.

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
Yes, its a bit of a wildcard pick because its a smaller form factor case but the difference between mATX and ATX motherboards and cases is fairly slim nowah days. Please let me know if you want to do any more research on parts, I can keep looking if you want.

As far as the aesthetics goes, in my opinion, the Lian Li Lancool II mesh is very nice. They also have that same case in white for a bit cheaper and you can get both colors with or without aRGB fans. It has something for everybody. The fit and finish, and general feel of quality on that Lian Li is very nice. I have worked with that case a few times now.

I really appreciate the help. I suppose if I go for the Lian Li case the price will be closer to $800, and I'll consider it. Maybe I will cut other corners. What's bugging me is the motherboard. My last one was a very good ASUS (I don't remember which one). But many of the ones I am looking at have reviewers on Amazon claiming to have serious issues. I also can't tell which ones are compatible with that front USB-C port. They don't seem to mention the front ports.

I really appreciate the help. I suppose if I go for the Lian Li case the price will be closer to $800, and I'll consider it. Maybe I will cut other corners. What's bugging me is the motherboard. My last one was a very good ASUS (I don't remember which one). But many of the ones I am looking at have reviewers on Amazon claiming to have serious issues. I also can't tell which ones are compatible with that front USB-C port. They don't seem to mention the front ports.
If you look at the specifications of the board usually labeled under front I/O it will say what the motherboard can support. This is the same for the cases, they will say what cords the front I/O use so you can match them to potential motherboards. Ohh, I forgot to mention if you want that front USB-C for immediate use you need to buy front cable connector for the USB-C on the Lancool II Mesh and install it.

Reactions: mrmike16

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
If you look at the specifications of the board usually labeled under front I/O it will say what the motherboard can support. This is the same for the cases, they will say what cords the front I/O use so you can match them to potential motherboards. Ohh, I forgot to mention if you want that front USB-C for immediate use you need to buy front cable connector for the USB-C on the Lancool II Mesh and install it.
I'll look more into the motherboards tomorrow. Thanks, I didn't know that. I will assume it's the same for most of the towers with USB-C and check beforehand.

At what point is it worth it over the 5600g you think? Personally, if I have to pay more than 200 dollars I would rather just get a 5600g at that point. I know that the value proposition is still in Intel's favor at MSRP but once they both get so close in price it becomes much less black and white and much more opinionated I typically side with AMD's platform over Intel's.

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
At what point is it worth it over the 5600g you think? Personally, if I have to pay more than 200 dollars I would rather just get a 5600g at that point. I know that the value proposition is still in Intel's favor at MSRP but once they both get so close in price it becomes much less black and white and much more opinionated I typically side with AMD's platform over Intel's.
Amazon.com: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6-Core 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Radeon Graphics : Electronics
They are very close in price. Honestly, in a desktop, I don't know if I would even see a difference between the two.
But, from what's been said in this thread, AMD does have better graphics. And if I understood correctly, their performances are more or less the same. I have almost no personal experience with AMD except for some laptops that I've fixed years ago. Whichever one I decide would change the motherboard, and I still have no idea which one to use...

Was there anything worse about the Intel you switched from that caused you to switch?
Well I was due for an upgrade and I wanted more cores and threads than intel was offering at the time. Do I use all those cores and threads? No, but I see upwards of 70% usage at a time on a daily basis. 5 years from now I may be maxing this thing out and if I opted for less CPU in the intel offerings I may be feeling the pain in the future. I came from a 3570k @ 4.5ghz