New PC Build and SSD

dcxz19

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
Hi guys,

I'm planning to build a PC soon. I already have a SSD that has an OS (windows 10) and files on it from my laptop. Instead of buying a new Windows 10 installation disc for my new PC build, can I just use that SSD with the OS already on there? Will it boot the windows 10 normally? Or will I have to wipe the SSD and install a fresh copy of windows 10 on there?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Welcome, @dcxz19!

Unfortunately, you won't be able to use the same activation code/product key and thus the same installation! This is due to the fact that the operating system is tied to the motherboard, whereas the SSD/HDD plays the role of the carrier for the system files. Either way, it won't make the installation bootable from another brand-new mobo. It usually works when you replace the mobo with an identical model or at least one from the same manufacturer.
To avoid any issues with the booting process, better buy a new genuine Windows install and keep your peace of mind about it.

Hope this was helpful. Good luck with your new rig! :)
SuperSoph_WD
Welcome, @dcxz19!

Unfortunately, you won't be able to use the same activation code/product key and thus the same installation! This is due to the fact that the operating system is tied to the motherboard, whereas the SSD/HDD plays the role of the carrier for the system files. Either way, it won't make the installation bootable from another brand-new mobo. It usually works when you replace the mobo with an identical model or at least one from the same manufacturer.
To avoid any issues with the booting process, better buy a new genuine Windows install and keep your peace of mind about it.

Hope this was helpful. Good luck with your new rig! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

Nymical

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015
It depends on if your previous Windows 10 installation was an OEM key from the manufacturer, or a paid copy you yourself purchased. If the former, you can do nothing except transfer your old files into a new OS you can install on the same disk. If the latter then you can call Microsoft Windows customer service and provide them with the key. As long as you uninstall/de-register your previous copy of windows, they will let you re-download the OS and install on the new computer.
If you would otherwise be forced to buy a new copy of Windows, I would recommend just getting a Linux distribution. Ubuntu is widely hailed as being most GUI-friendly to new users, it is basically a cross between Windows and OS X in terms of appearance and system tools, with the added benefit of really advanced options available for those willing to delve into it. Good luck

Update: Dangit the thread already closed by the time I typed up my answer; I had just started when SuperSoph replied lol
(Hope I didn't sound like one of those many Linux high-horse riders ha sorry)