Question new pc build any issues

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Truckerlenny

Great
May 20, 2019
PCPartPicker Part List
demcifilter HAF XB EVO fan filter kit as well
and a windows 10 key
RGB Light strip ASUS ROG Addressable RGB 5050 LED 60cm (i might use multiple)
comes to around $3403 plus tax canadian.

my current setup is a gateway pc with a i5 2320, gtx 680 and 8 gb of ram. and a 500gb hard drive (no ssd), a microsoft 850 wireless keyboard and mouse. all which i have had for many many years as well as a 32 inch samsung tv which ive had for 7 years. with little to no issues.

so i am building a new pc. i dont want any watercooling and im fairly set on the products. just wanna make sure the thing wont overheat. i will not be overclocking.
essentially i will have the noctua d15s with 2 fans not just one. 2 front 140mm fans used as intake, a 120mm in the back used as exhaust, the psu will be fan down because of blockage on top of psu and the filter is on bottom. 2 80mm fan on bottom rear im not sure if i will go exhaust or intake i was thinking intake to make it more possitive pressure and then the air would be blowing air directly on the ssd and hdd.
other than that is there anything that speaks ERRORS that i need to fix.
psu i choose because of its ratings and power curve. as well the fact that it does not turn on fan until about 300 watts.
as for keyboard and mouse i will using a das keyboard 4 pro DASK4MKPROCLI blue switch. and a logitech g703 with the g powerplay mousepad (undecided trying to get some info on the mousepad is it possible to turn off the rgb lights, does the pad slip around everywhere, as well as does the ends of the pad curl up and come apart.)

someone had recommended a Z370-F strix board but thats 800$ canadian so no thank you. i dont really wanna save any money but seriously a $800+ board lets get serious. this is no by means a high end gaming pc. as i said it will NOT be overclocked. and i dont wanna pay $800+ for features i wont even use. i wanna keep within the mostly black color scheme besides the fans which all are the noctua brown color. no rgb fans lol im not a kid that likes shinny things.

what i currently use my pc for is facebook, youtube, wow, cs:go, would like to get into battlefield or something as well.
im not the one to be over the top while gaming. the pc will be also used for movies so bright lights that cant be turned off is annoying and no electrical tape is not a solution.

id like to keep manufactures the same if they have rgb so that i can turn them off and on easily and adjust them to the same thing all at once easily without going through a bunch of different programs. i might sacrifice some performance for looks but that is ok with me.

i choose 9700k for some future proofing ive had my current setup and would like the new one for 6+ years as well. gpu i picked a 1660ti because compared to a 1070 or a 2070 i think it best suits what im doing with it and if i need to upgrade in a couple years then its a easy fix compared to a cpu (if they change a socket again)

i choose the 750 watt psu because of the efficiency curve it has considering my max wattage would be around 390 and my idle should be around 175 i am right in its peak. also im hoping if im just on facebook youtube etc then the psu fan wont turn on at all cause it doesnt until 300 watts.

32gb of ram for future proofing. and to allow for dual channel. (i know i could do 2x8gb but i like the 32 gb especially since chrome keeps wanting more of it.)

i know nvme is overkill as most of it for what im doing with it but it does come with some future proofing.

any suggestions would be great. i will reply back with my thoughts on the matter and take your opinion into account

**** i will be going to a samsung evo plus nvme m.2 500 gb ssd instead because of recommendations from person below

Last edited:
Reactions: coastie65

Truckerlenny

Great
May 20, 2019
Price difference between a 250 and 500, could be up to $70USD. And being that you plan on putting games on a separate ssd, using the boot drive for larger more played games, won't net you a huge difference in loading times. It would IMO be negligible. That could be money used elsewhere.

Odd your seeing a speed difference between a 250 and 500 of the same line, my guess is difference in the memory controller.
so 55$ in the difference but 20 % faster i think it would be a better upgrade for 55$ considering a 2060 over a 1660 ti is like $130 in the difference but only about 18% faster. and considering im only using a 32" 1080p 60 hz monitor i think the 1660ti would be more than powerful for years to come.

Truckerlenny

Great
May 20, 2019
Price difference between a 250 and 500, could be up to $70USD. And being that you plan on putting games on a separate ssd, using the boot drive for larger more played games, won't net you a huge difference in loading times. It would IMO be negligible. That could be money used elsewhere.

Odd your seeing a speed difference between a 250 and 500 of the same line, my guess is difference in the memory controller.
im not sure where the speed difference is coming from but i only game about 15-20% of the time i spend on the computer. all other tasks i do would benefit from a better ssd etc, considering a 500 gb is only 55$ more than the 250 for same model line and is 20% faster i think that makes it worth it. where as the 80% that i dont game doesnt even need a aftermarket gpu lol. plus considering the 2060 is 130$ more than the 1660ti but only 18% faster can i justify it i dont think so. sure if i gamed more but i dont game alot.

To me an 18% difference in gpu speed vs a 20% in ssd speed, I'd go gpu. I highly doubt you would ever notice that difference in loading times unless doing video rendering or similar large workloads. That difference in gpu speed could be noticeable fps while gaming. Especially if you're planning on a high refresh rate monitor. Plus it's always cheaper to upgrade memory later vs gpu, if the need ever arose.

Keep in mind that in terms of game load times, you won't see a 20% performance difference. Even the performance difference between a slower, much cheaper SATA SSD and a fast NVME SSD will generally only amount to about a 10% or less reduction in load times, despite the NVME drive having multiple times the sequential performance. Games need to process the data in addition to loading it, so moving to a faster SSD doesn't make much difference to load times with today's games.

Truckerlenny

Great
May 20, 2019
To me an 18% difference in gpu speed vs a 20% in ssd speed, I'd go gpu. I highly doubt you would ever notice that difference in loading times unless doing video rendering or similar large workloads. That difference in gpu speed could be noticeable fps while gaming. Especially if you're planning on a high refresh rate monitor. Plus it's always cheaper to upgrade memory later vs gpu, if the need ever arose.
i have no plans for a high refresh rate monitor any time soon i mean 2-3 years for sure. unless the price drops down drastically. same thing with 1440p i plan not going to that either until costs come down drastically

im not sure where the speed difference is coming from but i only game about 15-20% of the time i spend on the computer. all other tasks i do would benefit from a better ssd etc, considering a 500 gb is only 55$ more than the 250 for same model line and is 20% faster i think that makes it worth it. where as the 80% that i dont game doesnt even need a aftermarket gpu lol. plus considering the 2060 is 130$ more than the 1660ti but only 18% faster can i justify it i dont think so. sure if i gamed more but i dont game alot.
True. Sounds like you'll have a very nice and balanced system either way!

Truckerlenny

Great
May 20, 2019
i know 1440p would be much better and i know a 144hz monitor would make it so much better for gaming. but im not building a gaming computer.
im building a computer for someone to like to play games once in awhile and then does random crap other times. there has to be a line drawn somewhere.
i have some other issues with high refresh rate monitors and higher resolution monitors they just look ugly. they have this childish look to them like its meant for kids or something im not a kid and i want it to look somewhat professional. this whole "gaming look" doesnt suit me which is why i also bought the best most simple case i could with no frills or anything just a plain jane case that has good air flow.

Truckerlenny

Great
May 20, 2019
Keep in mind that in terms of game load times, you won't see a 20% performance difference. Even the performance difference between a slower, much cheaper SATA SSD and a fast NVME SSD will generally only amount to about a 10% or less reduction in load times, despite the NVME drive having multiple times the sequential performance. Games need to process the data in addition to loading it, so moving to a faster SSD doesn't make much difference to load times with today's games.
i know but im trying to get the biggest bang for my buck today with no need (hopefully) to upgrade for 5-6 years as i have not need to until now. and its the hard drive now that is holding me back i got a 7200 rpm hdd in the thing right now and anything i do its at 100% usage but the gpu and cpu and memory has only every gotten to max 75% lots of room to play so i dont want to cheap out on storage this time

I can definitely agree with the look of some gaming monitors. I have a Dell s2719dgf. It's not curved and only 27", but it is 1440 and 155hz. It's also about as basic looking as you can get. Plain jane mount, no rgb or any of that fancy stuff. Just a boring old monitor. Very professional and non gamer look, and it was fairly cheap. I got it for $365US.

Truckerlenny

Great
May 20, 2019
im thinking so my original concern was if i had enough cooling found out real quick that they will bring up about everything even if i didnt ask about it but oh well. i now know i could get cheaper fans and alot less fans but its more just looks than actually cooling.

Truckerlenny

Great
May 20, 2019
I can definitely agree with the look of some gaming monitors. I have a Dell s2719dgf. It's not curved and only 27", but it is 1440 and 155hz. It's also about as basic looking as you can get. Plain jane mount, no rgb or any of that fancy stuff. Just a boring old monitor. Very professional and non gamer look, and it was fairly cheap. I got it for $365US.
now see that monitor in canada is about 549 canadian dollars. i bought a 65 inch curved tv last year and i love the curved design and in turn i got rid of my 19 inch monitor and used my 32 inch samsung tv from like 2011 as a monitor. and i love the size. its only 720p and yes it has horrible refresh rate and response time but i love it i just hate how big the bezzles are on it. so i wanted at least a 32 inch curved. and 1080p that was my set requirements as well as being a well known brand name that is easily accessible. also as i said must be a stunning looking no fancy stuff no rgb no funny looking designs etc. no gamer look

Truckerlenny

Great
May 20, 2019
the monitor i picked out sells for about 299 canadian. considering i might only game a hour a day. but watch movies, facebook, youtube, etc up to 10 plus hours a day with movies/ shows being the most. i think i chose well. for a well balanced system for what im using it for and what i want to use it for. sure their are some upgrades available. if i choose to game more a new gpu and monitor would be the biggest upgrade. but right now i dont think i wanna spend another thousand dollars extra for a better monitor and gpu that will still suit the other things i need it for.

Truckerlenny

Great
May 20, 2019
the monitor i picked out sells for about 299 canadian. considering i might only game a hour a day. but watch movies, facebook, youtube, etc up to 10 plus hours a day with movies/ shows being the most. i think i chose well. for a well balanced system for what im using it for and what i want to use it for. sure their are some upgrades available. if i choose to game more a new gpu and monitor would be the biggest upgrade. but right now i dont think i wanna spend another thousand dollars extra for a better monitor and gpu that will still suit the other things i need it for.
i did get some great suggestion from on here and the linus forum. i was gonna use a wd nvme but the samsung is much better. i think im gonna go with aMSI - MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard and the MSI - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB GAMING X Video Card. still not 100 percent sold on the logitech g powerplay but i want the g703.

The thing I noticed when monitor shopping was, once you pass the 27" size, prices go up exponentially. Which is why I chose the Dell ( plus I'm older and I remember the "dude I got a dell" commercials lol). I do like the curved monitors but the prices were too much for me. If you found one that fits your requirement for 299, that's awesome!

I have a wd black and really like it, but at the time it was considerably cheaper than the Samsung. Now it's very close in price and I would probably go Samsung. I also have a wd blue sata ssd and a Samsung sata ssd, and can tell no difference, both great drives. But the Samsung does include some nice monitoring software.

MSI makes good stuff. I actually had an optix 27" 1080 curved monitor prior to moving to the Dell and 1440, it was awesome! But very gamer like. I've never used there cards or mobo, my last two builds have both been Asus. My next cpu upgrade will more than likely include an Asus board, but I do overclock and think Asus is easier in the menu. The MSI cards are great though, my buddy is still on his 970 and it's still going strong.

No idea on the powerplay, but the 703 is good. Lots of positive reviews. I actually have a corsair keyboard and mouse, and I'm very happy with them. But Logitech make a very solid stuff! My speaker setup is from them.

Truckerlenny

Great
May 20, 2019
The thing I noticed when monitor shopping was, once you pass the 27" size, prices go up exponentially. Which is why I chose the Dell ( plus I'm older and I remember the "dude I got a dell" commercials lol). I do like the curved monitors but the prices were too much for me. If you found one that fits your requirement for 299, that's awesome!

I have a wd black and really like it, but at the time it was considerably cheaper than the Samsung. Now it's very close in price and I would probably go Samsung. I also have a wd blue sata ssd and a Samsung sata ssd, and can tell no difference, both great drives. But the Samsung does include some nice monitoring software.

MSI makes good stuff. I actually had an optix 27" 1080 curved monitor prior to moving to the Dell and 1440, it was awesome! But very gamer like. I've never used there cards or mobo, my last two builds have both been Asus. My next cpu upgrade will more than likely include an Asus board, but I do overclock and think Asus is easier in the menu. The MSI cards are great though, my buddy is still on his 970 and it's still going strong.

No idea on the powerplay, but the 703 is good. Lots of positive reviews. I actually have a corsair keyboard and mouse, and I'm very happy with them. But Logitech make a very solid stuff! My speaker setup is from them.
yea i heard some bad reviews on the asus tuf series which i loved the look. heard some issues with the vrms not sure if its a thing or not but im torn because of it. i loved the look of the board and the fact that everything would be with one manufacture in regards to lights, gpu and mobo.
the samsung evo was like 10 percent more in cost and 20% faster so i spend like a extra 20$ on it cause its 20$. have you heard of any issues with the asus tuf z390 boards i will not be overclocking at all so.

Truckerlenny

Great
May 20, 2019

the 703 has good reviews i wanted a wireless mouse and then wasnt sure because of lag issues and then read and heard good reviews from fokes like linus and jayztwocents about the g703 series and how it is just as good as a wired in regards to that. so im going to give it a shot. i was going to give the g910 a shot but someone said look into the das series and i wanna give it a shot. i wanted something with a dial or something for volume, media keys. nothing uncomfortable. cherry mx switches (the g910 doesnt have it.) no rgb or crazy colors or looks. unless it can be turned off. same with mouse no bulges or crazy gaming mouse curves etc come on basic mouse here with good specs please

The vrm issues seem to all revolve around overclocking headroom, and since you're not, I think you'll be fine. It's considered a lower end Asus board, but again with no overclocking in mind, totally fine. Plus if you get that board, you can get the strix card, which imo is one of, if not the best looking cards. I would totally have one, but went the custom watercooling route and went with an evga card. As I gave zero **** about rgb and only my mobo has any lights.

I have a corsair k70 rapidfire rgb. It's a very comfortable keyboard. Has a decent wrist rest making typing and gaming easy and no stress on the wrists. It has a smaller volume roller, nice media keys, and has the cherry mx speed switches. Which are great! Very responsive, not super loud and good for typing and gaming. Plus all rgb is fully controllable, which means you can turn it off. Or only have certain keys lit up. All keys can be controlled via the software. On mine it's fully off except for wasd and a couple other keys while gaming. Some games do take over control and light it up different, but again fully controllable and able to be switched off. My mouse is the harpoon rgb. Again very comfortable in the hand. No uneccasary buttons. Its not wireless, but I like it. And rgb fully controllable too, which means you can turn it off. But the only thing that lights up is the logo, which will be covered by your hand in use. They so have a wireless version also. I went with this mouse simply because of price and local availability. $30 and Wal-Mart had it in stock, nowhere had any Logitech less than $120 at the time.

Truckerlenny

Great
May 20, 2019
The vrm issues seem to all revolve around overclocking headroom, and since you're not, I think you'll be fine. It's considered a lower end Asus board, but again with no overclocking in mind, totally fine. Plus if you get that board, you can get the strix card, which imo is one of, if not the best looking cards. I would totally have one, but went the custom watercooling route and went with an evga card. As I gave zero **** about rgb and only my mobo has any lights.

I have a corsair k70 rapidfire rgb. It's a very comfortable keyboard. Has a decent wrist rest making typing and gaming easy and no stress on the wrists. It has a smaller volume roller, nice media keys, and has the cherry mx speed switches. Which are great! Very responsive, not super loud and good for typing and gaming. Plus all rgb is fully controllable, which means you can turn it off. Or only have certain keys lit up. All keys can be controlled via the software. On mine it's fully off except for wasd and a couple other keys while gaming. Some games do take over control and light it up different, but again fully controllable and able to be switched off. My mouse is the harpoon rgb. Again very comfortable in the hand. No uneccasary buttons. Its not wireless, but I like it. And rgb fully controllable too, which means you can turn it off. But the only thing that lights up is the logo, which will be covered by your hand in use. They so have a wireless version also. I went with this mouse simply because of price and local availability. $30 and Wal-Mart had it in stock, nowhere had any Logitech less than $120 at the time.
yes my original build i had intended on was a Asus - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card and the Asus - TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING (WI-FI) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard but then someone said it was crap because of the vrms and i was concerned so i had thought about the msi board because the person said it was better in regards to vrm. not a big difference in pricing but the MSI 1660ti gpu looks like someone shit out a brick. and id like to stick with the same person if possible as little of programs to make changes the better. right now looks like it will be the logitech software for the mouse. das keyboard software. and the asus software for rgb, fan control outside of the fan controller i want lol (so i dont need to open any programs but can easily ramp up some fans if i feel like i need to while playing games and see temps going up (dont trust the auto feature 100%) so 3 fans will be controlled by the mobo (2 cpu cooler and 1 120 mm exhaust) and 4 by the fan controller. (2 140 mm fronts and 2 80 mm rears) as well the gpu will have 3 fans that will control itself on auto. i dont do overclocking. i messed up some parts a long time ago and havnt figured out why so i never attempted again until someone can actually sit and show me in person. and i dont know any gamer persons outside of my neighbour and im more pc parts knowledgeable than him so he is no help in that regards. the das keyboard has been getting great review. all aluminium top. very strong. cherry mx browns or blues i am thinking blues but i will go in store and try both on another keyboard to confirm. i hate unnecessary buttons my current mouse has 2 left and right as well as a wheel and that works perfect lol. so something with minimal buttons and lights etc is the name of the game. i would like some rgb so that i can do as you did with the wasd buttons and other important buttons id like to see in the dark but i wanna be able to control it 100% and if its just a hassle turn it off completely and leave it off or i take it apart and destroy the led's haha. then chuck it out the 17 story building i live in and hope a truck runs it over.