Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I am building a new pc

B650I Auros Ultra
R7 7700x
32 gigsGskill flare x5 ram
RTX 4080
Sabrent m.2

I have windows 11 installed, no issues with the initial setup, but problems started once trying to boot into windows..

If I boot off the 4080, the PC will freeze with a black screen after the bios flash screen. If I boot off the igpu it goes right into windows.

First thing I did with troubleshooting was ro update motherboard firmware. I have also tried removing sata drives as well and running mem86 which tested fine. Ram is obviously brand new as well None of which helped, after doing more digging I found the nvida firmware update, ran that and it told me the GPu already had been updated.

More troubleshooting, if I boot with the display port plugged into the igpu and after boot plug it into the 4080 everything appears to work sometimes, other times I will get no input found....

Another interesting note is that it does not appear that the audio drivers where installed with the other gpu drivers....

The 4080 works fine on my desktop and my 2080 ti works fine on the new PC…

Looking for opinions on what might be causing this issue….

Cheers!

Onehate

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Probably compatibility issue between Gigabyte motherboard and (presumably) non-Gigabyte GPU. Things like this start to happening more and more often. See if there is a BIOS update for a motherboard.

Unfortunately updating the bios and the firmware of the GPU was the first thing I tried..

Now trying to set the PCI-E to 3.0 and disable the igpu and see if that works....

Onehate

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
the 2080 ti use a 600 watts psu with 2x8 power cable the 4080 ask for 800 watts psu with a 16 pins connector so check this .

I have it pinned find and even was able to do a 3DMark test and MSI Kombuster stress test on it, it preformed fine. The PSU is a beast and from a good bit of research it should handle the 4080 fine due to the quality of the PSU......

Onehate

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
it either the gpu or the psu. take your pick

Appear to have gotten it stablized but need to do more testing....

I did the following:

PCI-Ex16 Slot Link -> set it from auto to Gen3
integrated igpu -> set it to disabled

Able to boot into windows 11 with no issues so far, only odd thing is that the nvidia driver has not installed the audio drivers, that and one of the sata drives is not being detected....

I think Gigabyte could do a better job when they release motherboard BIOS updates, as they are sometimes unstable and cause issues like this.

I've got a Gigabyte B650M Gaming X AX, with the latest 2 BIOS updates (F5 & F6) it won't post if I do a restart...it has to start from fully shut down to post. On the BIOS before them (F5c) it restarts fine, but when gaming it crashes every 5 minutes...and I updated all the drivers and chipset, only solution was to go back to a BIOS which won't restart, but runs fine otherwise.

My suggestion would be to flash the motherboard BIOS with a different version and see if that helps.

TRENDING THREADS