[SOLVED] New PC build boots but no display! HELP

Nov 10, 2019
I have had a PC for 3 years and felt now was the time for an upgrade. I had already upgraded my PSU over those 3 years to an Aerocool 500w Bronze Certified PSU. I chose not to change that, as well as my SSD and HDD. Originally I had:

i3-6100 CPU
GTX 960 GPU
12 GB DDR3 RAM
Some cheap ASUS Motherboard

I have just bought:

i5-9400F
RTX 2060
16GB 3200 DDR4 RAM
ROG STRIX B360-G Gaming Micro ATX Motherboard

After setting up the PC with a friend (who is experienced and building PC’s) we have found the PC to not show any display. It boots up and all fans work however, including the GPU’s.

Things to note:
  • The motherboard has gone from a 4pin to a 2x4pin
  • The GPU has gone from a 6pin to an 8pin
  • The motherboard only allows up to 2666 speed when the ram is 3200 (pretty sure this isn’t a problem)

Any ideas on what the problem is would be handy, here are the new parts ordered from Amazon UK

6e8c6dcfacdcf23a99f78361e6e32a97.jpg
da12814e545de8db3f2904dbd6668bf2.jpg

Plus the estimates wattage from an online calculator

913f6eee7e6728a4af6f3f00ee975bcb.jpg

Thank you,
Finlay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solution
The GPU is refurbished with Amazon Warehouse Deals. It’s EVGA you can see the specific model above. Going to try the GPU in another pc now/soon. Will keep you posted

Ahhh! Definitely try the GPU in another system then! EVGA is typically a reliable GPU brand, but the fact that yours is 'refurbished' sheds some doubt on it's reliability. Good luck.
You do realize you need to reinstall Windows, right? A new motherboard will need the correct drivers and your current Windows installation has drivers for the 'cheap ASUS motherboard'.

Can you get into the BIOS? Typically you get into BIOS by hitting the Delete key continuously after you turn the PC on. If you can get into the BIOS, you may need to update the BIOS to the latest version in order to get Windows to install from USB or DVD.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019
Nov 10, 2019
Update:

Stripped the pc and only plugged in bare essentials as well as using the old GPU (GTX 960) and it displayed something, the BIOS came up. We then swapped it out for the new GPU and it didn’t work again. Therefore, we think it’s a gpu problem (or maybe PSU)

Very interesting. The power requirements for the RTX 2060 - 160 watts and the GTX 960 - 120 watts. Recommended total system power is 400w for the 960 and 500w for the 2060. My guess is your power supply doesn't have the juice to properly power the 2060.

Is there anyway to test the 2060 in another rig to see if it works?

Nov 10, 2019
Very interesting. The power requirements for the RTX 2060 - 160 watts and the GTX 960 - 120 watts). Recommended total system power is 400w for the 960 and 500w for the 2060. My guess is your power supply doesn't have the juice to properly power the 2060.

That has crossed my mind. However, I have got a single fan 2060 and double fan 960, you can look at the specific one above. Also is there a possibility that it just hasn’t got the correct software/drivers installed that aren’t allowing it to boot. Hence, we are booting it with the 960 and seeing what we can download/do. Any ideas?

That has crossed my mind. However, I have got a single fan 2060 and double fan 960, you can look at the specific one above. Also is there a possibility that it just hasn’t got the correct software/drivers installed that aren’t allowing it to boot. Hence, we are booting it with the 960 and seeing what we can download/do. Any ideas?

Regardless of drivers, the GPU should be able to get into the BIOS. AFAIK, BIOS does not use any drivers from your current windows installation.

Nov 10, 2019
Maybe. That would be my guess at the moment. I think its more likely the PSU than a brand new GPU. What brand is the GPU? You did buy it new, right? Anyway you can test it in another PC?

The GPU is refurbished with Amazon Warehouse Deals. It’s EVGA you can see the specific model above. Going to try the GPU in another pc now/soon. Will keep you posted

Ahhh! Definitely try the GPU in another system then! EVGA is typically a reliable GPU brand, but the fact that yours is 'refurbished' sheds some doubt on it's reliability. Good luck.

Solution
Nov 10, 2019

Just tried it in another PC (750w and works perfectly) and it doesn’t work!!! Wow, must be a bust GPU? Thoughts?

TRENDING THREADS