[SOLVED] New PC Build Boots, Only Flashes a Display Occasionally

Jul 25, 2021
Hi Everyone,

I'm a first time builder and I'm running into an issue booting my new machine, any feedback/tips would be much appreciated.

I've also walked through the steps in the "No POST" sticky.

My parts list can be found here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gRxg68.

My PC booted on my first attempt and I was able to access the BIOS. I had a USB inserted with Windows 10, so after looking at a few settings in the BIOS I restarted the machine to re-attempt the windows installation. This first boot was the only time the system remained active without a self shut down after a short time. The next handful of boot ups all booted down after ~ 30 seconds.

Each time I attempt to boot the GPU fans "pulse" where they spin to a high level of RPMS, then stop, and repeat. On my second boot attempt I selected the USB to boot of off, but was brought to an odd screen where only part of a logo was show in the very bottom right hand corner of my monitor (a portion of a triangle and two other letters). This almost looked as if the aspect ratio of the screen was off and I was seeing a portion of a larger image. After showing this image for a few seconds the machine would boot down and up. In all my attempts to boot from the USB I saw this screen.

Twice after selecting the USB the Windows logo loading screen would show for a brief moment (overlaid on top of the odd triangle screen), then the machine would restart and take me back to the BIOS screen. From here the BIOS screen began to flicker as the machine would quickly reboot, leaving the BIOS screen up for only a few seconds.

At this point I began to troubleshoot components, but it seemed each time I would attempt to boot the PC the display length on the monitor would get less and less.

I'm now to the point where the machine boots, the GPU fans pulses consistently, and no display is shown on the monitor initially. During this time the EZ Debug light for "VGA" is illuminated. If I leave the machine on the GPU seems to "cycle" and every few times the screen will flicker, the EZ Debug display will switch from "VGA" to "boot", then back to "VGA". About every 15 or so cycles the VGA light will turn off on the EZ Debug and I can view the BIOS screen for about 10 seconds. Then the display is lost and its back to the same cycle. With this short window, and happening very infrequently, I haven't attempted to install Windows since my first initial attempts.

Below are the actions I've taken:
  • Update my BIOS through flash
  • Tried both HDMI and DVI ports on the graphics card
  • Tested with a different monitor
  • Cleaned out the PCI slot (removed and reinserted GPU)
  • Started computer with only 1 ram stick installed.
  • Removed the CMOS battery for five minutes to reset.
  • Checked each power connection (PSU connection and motherboard connection)
  • Used a different power PCI-E cable.
My build is currently breadboarded with only the CPU, motherboard, and GPU power.

Steps I did not take:
Testing GPU in another machine, as I don't have access to another machine currently.

Is it safe to say the GPU has issues? Or potentially the motherboard, or something else I'm unaware of?

Any help/tips are much appreciated.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I'm a first time builder and I'm running into an issue booting my new machine, any feedback/tips would be much appreciated.

I've also walked through the steps in the "No POST" sticky.

My parts list can be found here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gRxg68.

My PC booted on my first attempt and I was able to access the BIOS. I had a USB inserted with Windows 10, so after looking at a few settings in the BIOS I restarted the machine to re-attempt the windows installation. This first boot was the only time the system remained active without a self shut down after a short time. The next handful of boot ups all booted down after ~ 30 seconds.

Each time I attempt to boot the GPU fans "pulse" where they spin to a high level of RPMS, then stop, and repeat. On my second boot attempt I selected the USB to boot of off, but was brought to an odd screen where only part of a logo was show in the very bottom right hand corner of my monitor (a portion of a triangle and two other letters). This almost looked as if the aspect ratio of the screen was off and I was seeing a portion of a larger image. After showing this image for a few seconds the machine would boot down and up. In all my attempts to boot from the USB I saw this screen.

Twice after selecting the USB the Windows logo loading screen would show for a brief moment (overlaid on top of the odd triangle screen), then the machine would restart and take me back to the BIOS screen. From here the BIOS screen began to flicker as the machine would quickly reboot, leaving the BIOS screen up for only a few seconds.

At this point I began to troubleshoot components, but it seemed each time I would attempt to boot the PC the display length on the monitor would get less and less.

I'm now to the point where the machine boots, the GPU fans pulses consistently, and no display is shown on the monitor initially. During this time the EZ Debug light for "VGA" is illuminated. If I leave the machine on the GPU seems to "cycle" and every few times the screen will flicker, the EZ Debug display will switch from "VGA" to "boot", then back to "VGA". About every 15 or so cycles the VGA light will turn off on the EZ Debug and I can view the BIOS screen for about 10 seconds. Then the display is lost and its back to the same cycle. With this short window, and happening very infrequently, I haven't attempted to install Windows since my first initial attempts.

Below are the actions I've taken:
  • Update my BIOS through flash
  • Tried both HDMI and DVI ports on the graphics card
  • Tested with a different monitor
  • Cleaned out the PCI slot (removed and reinserted GPU)
  • Started computer with only 1 ram stick installed.
  • Removed the CMOS battery for five minutes to reset.
  • Checked each power connection (PSU connection and motherboard connection)
  • Used a different power PCI-E cable.
My build is currently breadboarded with only the CPU, motherboard, and GPU power.

Steps I did not take:
Testing GPU in another machine, as I don't have access to another machine currently.

Is it safe to say the GPU has issues? Or potentially the motherboard, or something else I'm unaware of?

Any help/tips are much appreciated.
Thank you.
Make sure the cpu is seated properly if it's of cilter just ever so slightly can cause issues. Make sure the cpu cooler isn't to tight and cause interferance. Double check the bios is set for dual channle ram, and timings are right. Make sure the bios is set for windows 10 not ooder vs and or linux

Jul 25, 2021
Make sure the cpu is seated properly if it's of cilter just ever so slightly can cause issues. Make sure the cpu cooler isn't to tight and cause interferance. Double check the bios is set for dual channle ram, and timings are right. Make sure the bios is set for windows 10 not ooder vs and or linux

Thank you for those tips. I did re-seat the CPU (forgot to add this to the post) and tightened the CPU cooler until I felt first resistance is the screws. I’ll look up a video, but for the BIOS are those settings usually quick to view/change? When the machine boots and cycles it only actually boots to bios every 10-15 cycles (roughly every 10 min) then I only have about 10 seconds before it restarts and I lose access, so a small window.

Thank you for those tips. I did re-seat the CPU (forgot to add this to the post) and tightened the CPU cooler until I felt first resistance is the screws. I’ll look up a video, but for the BIOS are those settings usually quick to view/change? When the machine boots and cycles it only actually boots to bios every 10-15 cycles (roughly every 10 min) then I only have about 10 seconds before it restarts and I lose access, so a small window.
Sorry kids... On the mobo is a lithium battery with the psu unplugged remove this battery and hold the power button on the case for 30s x2s. Then reseat the battery then psu cable boot tower

Jul 25, 2021
I'm sorry to say then sounds like you have a dead component, it maybe CPU, mobo, psu, ram. From the way that things are playing out sounds like a faulty psu that's not regulating power right.
Thanks I appreciate that feedback and your help. I hope PSU as that would be the easiest to replace. I’ll take it in to my local pc shop to see if they can swap components and confirm which it is.

Reactions: white.a.drew
Jul 25, 2021
Thanks I appreciate that feedback and your help. I hope PSU as that would be the easiest to replace. I’ll take it in to my local pc shop to see if they can swap components and confirm which it is.
The PC shop confirmed the motherboard was DOA. Thanks for the help.