New PC build but fans only spin for one second and mobo has CPU error

Sarah_17

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016
My new PC is not booting. The light near the fan on the back of the case flashes blue for one second and spins for .5 seconds but then stops. The cpu fan also spins for .5 seconds. The mobo flashes red at the EZ Debug LED area for CPU. What do I do?

Solution
Take the CPU out of the motherboard if you have some thermal compound for when you put it back in. Check the motherboard for bent pins. Look very carefully.

If that does nothing I suggest moving your Ram stick from slot 1 to 2 or from slot 2 to 1. Whichever way you didn't have before.

Make sure your CPU Fan is in the CPU Fan header.

Sarah_17

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016

I took it all apart and put it back together to no avail. The same thing happens. The CPU light flashes red for a second while the case fan flashes blue and everything shuts off. When I try to turn it back on again nothing happens. It flashes again only if I've unplugged and replugged the power supply.

Sarah_17

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016

Case – Thermaltake Commander G42 ATX Mid Tower Case

CPU / Processor – Intel Skylake Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard – MSI Computer Motherboard Micro ATX DDR4 LGA 1151 B150M MORTAR

RAM – Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory

Graphics Card – Gigabyte AMD R9 380 256 Bit GDDR5 4GB

Hard Drive – Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5″ 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Power Supply – EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

Sarah_17

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016

How would I test it after assembling in on the motherboard box? Sorry I'm a bit new to this and this is my first time building a new computer.

1. Take everything but the hard drives out of the case.
2. Place only the motherboard, already installed CPU, and already installed ram on the motherboard. (make sure the CPU heatsink is on)
3. Then, Take your power supply and plug everything in. (24-pin MB connector and 8-pin CPU connector). (Ensure tightness on the CPU connector)
4. For this step you can either short the two power button pins with a screw driver or key or you can plug your case's power button onto the two pins.
5. The system should start. Oh and make sure your monitor is plugged into the back of your motherboard and that your GPU is not plugged in right now..

Sarah_17

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016

Which two power button pins would I short with the screwdriver? The ones connected to the case?

EDIT: I've figured out which pins to short. Nothing happens when I short the pins, so what does this mean?

CN_Abdiel

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016
If you did it correctly and it didn't turned on. That mean you got a dead PSU. If you bought recently, you still might be able to return it and get a new one. Btw, it was plug in and the switch was on right?

Sarah_17

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016

Ah my mistake. It turns on for a split second like it originally did inside the case. A spot near the intel fan flashes blue and the EZ Debug LED flashes red next to CPU. When I try to short the pins again, nothing happens. It only happens again when I unplug and replug the power supply

Sarah_17

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016

I tried this and the PSU fan did spin. I guess this means that the PSU is not the problem. What should I do now? Thank you all for your help so far!

Take the CPU out of the motherboard if you have some thermal compound for when you put it back in. Check the motherboard for bent pins. Look very carefully.

If that does nothing I suggest moving your Ram stick from slot 1 to 2 or from slot 2 to 1. Whichever way you didn't have before.

Make sure your CPU Fan is in the CPU Fan header.

Solution