[SOLVED] New PC build causing constant Power Outages

7r1bb1e

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Hi all,
So i decided finally to upgrade my pc after many years(i5 2500K, GTX 970, 16GB DDR3) to the following setup:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600X
MB: Gigabyte B550 Gaming X
Memory: Kingston HYPERX FURY 16GB X 2 3600Mhz CL18
SSD: ADATA XPG 1TB M.2 NVME SX8200
GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3080
PSU: Antec HCG-850W EXTREME GOLD
CASE: Be Quiet Dark Base 700 RGB
COOLING FOR PROCESSOR: Cougar Aqua 240

Also decided to assemble the PC myself...

After everything was done - i turned on the PC and then the power problems started to happen in the following order:

PC shuts down after loading a high demanding game.
PC shuts down after loading a high demanding game.
At 2:00 AM all power in the apartment shuts down(electrocution protection, not a surge, jumps). PC was not shut down.
Next day at evening power in the apartment shuts down again. PC was not shut down, but not used at all.
Day after at evening power shuts down two times in a row. PC was not shut down, but not used at all.
Day after five times in a row at evening. PC was not shut down, but not used at all.
Electrician comes to check and finds no issue at the apartment.

Changed socket where PC is connected. Power shuts down anyways next day at evening. Cable of PC removed. Power shuts down again after 15 min. After that all good.

Does anyone here have an idea what is the issue here and how can i make sure what is causing power to shut down?
I am pretty convinced it is my new PC, but even knowing that i don't know how to figure out if its the PSU, Motherboard, GPU, CPU or what?!

I am really frustrated here and any advice or help will be appreciated, because frankly i don't really know what to do.

Thanks everyone!

Solution
UPDATE:

Same electrician came and changed the short circuit breaker(previous one was a little old).
I swapped PCI-E cables in PSU just in case one of the PSU ports was bad or smth. More of a feeling, then science.

UPTIME with no power outages is 8 hours as of now.

Fingers crossed.
Good.
It may have been....and I think there's a pretty good chance it was....a bad breaker.
They do go bad.
Hopefully you stay running.
I'm a little confused with what is going on.
First you say PC shuts down.
Then you say...."all power in the apartment shuts down "
What do you mean by this?
Usually an apartment will have more than one breaker....so ALL the power won't usually shut down.

....and what do you mean by this?

"Cable of PC removed. Power shuts down again after 15 min. After that all good. "

Bottom line is if your PC is tripping the breaker...it's most likely either the power cord or the power supply....that is assuming the outlet is good.

7r1bb1e

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
I'm a little confused with what is going on.
First you say PC shuts down.
Then you say...."all power in the apartment shuts down "
What do you mean by this?
Usually an apartment will have more than one breaker....so ALL the power won't usually shut down.

....and what do you mean by this?

"Cable of PC removed. Power shuts down again after 15 min. After that all good. "

Bottom line is if your PC is tripping the breaker...it's most likely either the power cord or the power supply....that is assuming the outlet is good.

In the beginning only PC will shut down suddenly in games.

But after that - i dont know exactly how to say it in english, but there are two types of switches in electric board(1 will go turn off if there was a surge, 1 will turn off if there is short circuit). So the one that protects against short circuits shuts down and all the apartment with it.

What i tried to say is the following:
I removed the cable that came from PC's PSU from the socket to eliminate PC from the problem, but after 15 minutes power shut down again. Then for the whole evening everything was fine(PC was not connected to socket)

7r1bb1e

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
"I removed the cable that came from PC's PSU from the socket to eliminate PC from the problem, but after 15 minutes power shut down again. "
Which would lead me to believe the problem is not with the PC.
Would you agree?
I would agree, but in the first 2 nights after purchasing the PC i didn't turn it off and at night the power would shut down in the apartment.
Then i started to turn off my PC at night and power stopped shutting down at night.
So on one hand i agree with you, but it still seems to be connected with PC.

I would agree, but in the first 2 nights after purchasing the PC i didn't turn it off and at night the power would shut down in the apartment.
Then i started to turn off my PC at night and power stopped shutting down at night.
So on one hand i agree with you, but it still seems to be connected with PC.
" but in the first 2 nights after purchasing the PC i didn't turn it off and at night the power would shut down in the apartment. "

I think this may have been chance....because you say...

""I removed the cable that came from PC's PSU from the socket to eliminate PC from the problem, but after 15 minutes power shut down again. "

I would be happy it's probably not the PC...and I would probably get another electrician.

Also....I tend to doubt it's the PC for another reason. Many times (not always but many times) if you have a condition in the load (the PC) that causes a breaker to trip...there would be evidence AT THE PC....like smoke....a spark....noise.....etc. This doesn't happen always...but it's fairly common and you don't have any of this.

7r1bb1e

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
" but in the first 2 nights after purchasing the PC i didn't turn it off and at night the power would shut down in the apartment. "

I think this may have been chance....because you say...

""I removed the cable that came from PC's PSU from the socket to eliminate PC from the problem, but after 15 minutes power shut down again. "

I would be happy it's probably not the PC...and I would probably get another electrician.

Also....I tend to doubt it's the PC for another reason. Many times (not always but many times) if you have a condition in the load (the PC) that causes a breaker to trip...there would be evidence AT THE PC....like smoke....a spark....noise.....etc. This doesn't happen always...but it's fairly common and you don't have any of this.
I have been living in this apartment for the last 2 years and using my old PC with no special power outage problems.

But in the last 2 weeks only two things changes:
1)Rains started(we are living at top floor).
2)I bought a new PC.

So unless its not water short circuiting some cables in the wall, then it must be a PC. Otherwise i am just going crazy here...=(

I have been living in this apartment for the last 2 years and using my old PC with no special power outage problems.

But in the last 2 weeks only two things changes:
1)Rains started(we are living at top floor).
2)I bought a new PC.

So unless its not water short circuiting some cables in the wall, then it must be a PC. Otherwise i am just going crazy here...=(
I understand what you mean....but the fact that the power cut out without the PC connected leaves me thinking the PC is not the issue.
I would think moisture due to the rains could definitely cause the same issue.
One thing you could try....try the PC at someone else's house....my guess is....it will be fine.

7r1bb1e

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
I understand what you mean....but the fact that the power cut out without the PC connected leaves me thinking the PC is not the issue.
I would think moisture due to the rains could definitely cause the same issue.
One thing you could try....try the PC at someone else's house....my guess is....it will be fine.
Yes, i think its the last test i have to try. Will post here the update on this. Thank you!

7r1bb1e

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
UPDATE:

Same electrician came and changed the short circuit breaker(previous one was a little old).
I swapped PCI-E cables in PSU just in case one of the PSU ports was bad or smth. More of a feeling, then science.

Fingers crossed.

UPDATE:

Fingers crossed.
Good.
It may have been....and I think there's a pretty good chance it was....a bad breaker.
They do go bad.
Hopefully you stay running.

Solution
UPTIME: 48 HOURS

Seems like the solution was to change the short circuit breaker. Fingers crossed...=)

Thanks everyone for help!
I think you may want to brush up on how automatic circuit breakers work.
Older types aha d wire coil over a small ratchet held in place by melting metal compound that melts at certain known temperature, that releases small cog wheel that shuts power off. Once it cools it solidifies and you can reset breaker. After some number of occurrence, compound doesn't stick properly to that wheel cog and breaker starts to kick out earlier than it should and at end eventually stops resetting at all.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_breaker