[SOLVED] New PC build: cpu red light not booting

Oct 13, 2019
Hey guys,

I have built my new pc but having a red led cpu light on. Turns on fans spin rob lights on but the cpu water cooler fans don't spin.

Build is the following
NZXT h710i
I7 9700k
Gigabyte aouros z390 elite motherboard
Rtx 2060 super aouros
4/8gb corsair vengeance rgb ddr4
Masterliquid ML360r RGB cpu cooler
750W toughpower grand rgb fully modular thermaltake psu.
Samsung 970 pro nvme m.2

Plugged all in but does not get to the bios and monitor is not finding signal.

Tried monitor cable to onboard graphics and still luck.

Any ideas ???
I think it's either cpu psu or motherboard.

What do you guys think?

Any help would be great.

Solution
Red CPU light mens a halted CPU, its not working.
Usually because it can not see the ram modules.

To invoke bios you need CPU, ram and video.
No drives with OS are necessary.

The 4/8gb corsair vengeance rgb ddr4 are reputed good quality ram.
But that wont help you a single bit, if this ram is not listed in the Gigabyte aouros z390 elite ram QVL.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/support#support-doc
It should be listed exactly as printed on the ram module. No excuses. Period.
If not listed exactly as printed on the module, you are out in the blue thin air on your own.

You will never know for sure if the PC will boot or suddenly re-boot during a peaceful youtube video.
Remember: the QVL is a customer...

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018

But that wont help you a single bit, if this ram is not listed in the Gigabyte aouros z390 elite ram QVL.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/support#support-doc
If not listed exactly as printed on the module, you are out in the blue thin air on your own.

You will never know for sure if the PC will boot or suddenly re-boot during a peaceful youtube video.
Remember: the QVL is a customer service to avoid hardware problems.
Its not a license agreement you would ignore reading and just agree on.

Solution
Oct 13, 2019

Remember: the QVL is a customer service to avoid hardware problems.
Its not a license agreement you would ignore reading and just agree on.

Hey thanks for the reply.

So if my ram module is not listed in the the list provided then my PC will not start and I will need to get new RAM?

thanks

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
yes it includes m.2 as well

Please spread the word, as I have answered at least 5 similar questions on this exact topic the last 6 hours.

Your fellow gamers out there have a hard time understanding this is true, but it is.
And no one ever thought on checking this before they paid the bill.

Sales wont know as they are - sales - with the top goal of high sales.
If the ram is good quality reputed brand - it will work - right ?

The answer is a screaming nooooo.

Reactions: Fenix81204

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, that's a load of BS.
They can only test so many different memory kits, and Corsair is one of the most popular memory vendors - mobo vendors are going to make their mobos more compatible with a reputable brand than some no name or less popular one, like Nanya, for example.

@Fenix81204
1)take your cpu out and check the motherboard socket for bent or broken pins - you might need a magnifying glass.
2)try booting with one stick of ram at a time.

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
Ok that is BS, for the gamers that it worked for, and had the problem beforehand.
I really like your language, which makes you very respectful right :)

You seem to be the expert on manfacturer QVL's and know for a fact these lists are like licence agreements - to be ignored.

I would certainly agree, it could be a bent pin in the CPU socket as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 13, 2019
yes it includes m.2 as well

Please spread the word, as I have answered at least 5 similar questions on this exact topic the last 6 hours.

Your fellow gamers out there have a hard time understanding this is true, but it is.
And no one ever thought on checking this before they paid the bill.

Sales wont know as they are - sales - with the top goal of high sales.
If the ram is good quality reputed brand - it will work - right ?

The answer is a screaming nooooo.
I will change the RAM thanks a lot buddy and it says that the SSD m.2 is fine just has not been tested on that motherboard so still might work. Hopefully fingers cross thanks again !!!

Oct 13, 2019
Ok, that's a load of BS.
They can only test so many different memory kits, and Corsair is one of the most popular memory vendors - mobo vendors are going to make their mobos more compatible with a reputable brand than some no name or less popular one, like Nanya, for example.

@Fenix81204
1)take your cpu out and check the motherboard socket for bent or broken pins - you might need a magnifying glass.
2)try booting with one stick of ram at a time.
Oh well this is an annoying thread.

I have tried and checked all of the above and no luck

Oct 13, 2019
Oh well this is an annoying thread.

I have tried and checked all of the above and no luck
PLus there is no red light for the ram on the motherboard just the red light for the CPU.

SO not sure what the problem is. I would assume that if the motherboard doe snot recognise the ram then there should be a red light on the motherboard for the RAM?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
*LE SIGH
It's even there at the very bottom of the QVL @kaehligj linked, and I quote:
• Memory modules listed as above is for reference only. Due to massive memory models in market, we can only verify some of them.

@Fenix81204
Motherboard error color codes:
red - cpu
yellow/orange - ram
green - boot
vga - white

Consider the possibility you got a DOA cpu.

Oct 13, 2019
*LE SIGH
It's even there at the very bottom of the QVL @kaehligj linked, and I quote:
• Memory modules listed as above is for reference only. Due to massive memory models in market, we can only verify some of them.

@Fenix81204
Motherboard error color codes:
red - cpu
yellow/orange - ram
green - boot
vga - white

Consider the possibility you got a DOA cpu.
Nevermind i got it haha. Its a new CPU sealed everything was sealed is this still a possibility?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Dead On Arrival.
Stuff happens. I've gotten a DOA motherboard before. It's not unheard of.
I'd return the cpu and get it replaced first before trying the memory. Corsair is simply too popular for their kits to not work on an equally popular motherboard brand.

Oct 13, 2019
Dead On Arrival.
Stuff happens. I've gotten a DOA motherboard before. It's not unheard of.
I'd return the cpu and get it replaced first before trying the memory. Corsair is simply too popular for their kits to not work on an equally popular motherboard brand.
That sucks is there anyway of knowing this for certainty?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That sucks is there anyway of knowing this for certainty?
1)There was already the red cpu light.
2)Even when you switched the monitor connection from the gpu to the motherboard, which would then run off the cpu's integrated gpu, you still got no signal.
3)Have a friend nearby whom can borrow their 8th or 9th gen Intel cpu from? Or a PC shop that can test one of their own cpu's in your motherboard?

Oct 12, 2019
I haf the same problem check the rams and the cable connection if u put them wrong... Also if the motherboard touch ur pc box or a screw would not start of short-circuit