[SOLVED] New PC build crashing constantly

Jan 10, 2022
I recently decided to upgrade my gaming pc from Intel to Amd. I upgraded everything except for my psu and gpu and then I started having a lot of problems the next day with my pc crashing randomly, sometimes it took 8 hours, sometimes it crashed 20 minutes after booting. After the first crash of the day it seems to be much more frequent. So I bought a new psu in hopes of it being a power issue since my old hardware was pretty meh on power usage (found out last night my new hardware uses less power). That didn't work so I brought it to a repair store and they held it for 1 week, never crashed on them, I took it home and then the same day I started having the same issues. Brought it back the same day and they held it for another week, never crashed on them. When it crashes the monitor freezes and it's just the image of whatever was going when it crashes, the mouse and keyboard lights turn off and become completely unresponsive and the only way to turn it off is to hold the power button. I figured it was a mobo issue so I took it back and they couldn't find anything wrong with it but ended up doing an exchange. Put it all together last night a d it worked for about 8 hours and then the crashing started to become frequent again. I even tried moving it to the other side of my apartment to see if it was a plug issue but it crashed there too. I'm really at a loss and don't know what to do at this point. My old hardware works just fine and ran for 48hrs without a hitch.

Cpu: Ryzen 5 5600G
Gpu: Msi GeForce Gtx 1060 gb
Psu: Seasonic 750W Gold
WD_BLACK 500gb m.2
Mobo: Gigabyte x570 Aorus elite
RAM: Corsair vengeance 2x8gb

I should mention that I have reinstalled windows multiple times both completely fresh and with kept files

Stress tests have been run, cpu and gpu both performed beautifully

Last edited:
Solution
I recently decided to upgrade my gaming pc from Intel to Amd. I upgraded everything except for my psu and gpu and then I started having a lot of problems the next day with my pc crashing randomly, sometimes it took 8 hours, sometimes it crashed 20 minutes after booting. After the first crash of the day it seems to be much more frequent. So I bought a new psu in hopes of it being a power issue since my old hardware was pretty meh on power usage (found out last night my new hardware uses less power). That didn't work so I brought it to a repair store and they held it for 1 week, never crashed on them, I took it home and then the same day I started having the same issues. Brought it back the same day and they held it for another...
I recently decided to upgrade my gaming pc from Intel to Amd. I upgraded everything except for my psu and gpu and then I started having a lot of problems the next day with my pc crashing randomly, sometimes it took 8 hours, sometimes it crashed 20 minutes after booting. After the first crash of the day it seems to be much more frequent. So I bought a new psu in hopes of it being a power issue since my old hardware was pretty meh on power usage (found out last night my new hardware uses less power). That didn't work so I brought it to a repair store and they held it for 1 week, never crashed on them, I took it home and then the same day I started having the same issues. Brought it back the same day and they held it for another week, never crashed on them. When it crashes the monitor freezes and it's just the image of whatever was going when it crashes, the mouse and keyboard lights turn off and become completely unresponsive and the only way to turn it off is to hold the power button. I figured it was a mobo issue so I took it back and they couldn't find anything wrong with it but ended up doing an exchange. Put it all together last night a d it worked for about 8 hours and then the crashing started to become frequent again. I even tried moving it to the other side of my apartment to see if it was a plug issue but it crashed there too. I'm really at a loss and don't know what to do at this point. My old hardware works just fine and ran for 48hrs without a hitch.

WD_BLACK 500gb m.2

I should mention that I have reinstalled windows multiple times both completely fresh and with kept files

That is strange... a few thoughts, firstly what are your memory specs (there are quite a few different Corsair Vengeance kits)? Ryzen can be really fussy with ram, might need to look at the settings you are using in the bios. It was typically more of a problem with earlier boards (300 and 400 series) but still worth considering.

Also with your Windows install, have you installed the official AMD chipset drivers? The ones included with Windows aren't always ideal, link here:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

As you have the 5600G, have you tried running the machine with the integrated gpu without your 1060? Might be worth trying that and see if the machine is more stable (could be a conflict between the AMD and nVidia gpu drivers?) - might also be worth installing the latest AMD gpu drivers for the integrated graphics even with the 1060 installed (again drivers included with Windows are unlikely to be up to date and could cause problems).

Final thought, have you had a look at the windows Event Viewer after a crash? This should hopefully give you a bit more info on what exactly happened (just type 'Event Viewer' into the windows search box and it should come up - really only need to look at anything that comes up under Critical errors).

Solution
Jan 10, 2022
That is strange... a few thoughts, firstly what are your memory specs (there are quite a few different Corsair Vengeance kits)? Ryzen can be really fussy with ram, might need to look at the settings you are using in the bios. It was typically more of a problem with earlier boards (300 and 400 series) but still worth considering.

Also with your Windows install, have you installed the official AMD chipset drivers? The ones included with Windows aren't always ideal, link here:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

As you have the 5600G, have you tried running the machine with the integrated gpu without your 1060? Might be worth trying that and see if the machine is more stable (could be a conflict between the AMD and nVidia gpu drivers?) - might also be worth installing the latest AMD gpu drivers for the integrated graphics even with the 1060 installed (again drivers included with Windows are unlikely to be up to date and could cause problems).

Final thought, have you had a look at the windows Event Viewer after a crash? This should hopefully give you a bit more info on what exactly happened (just type 'Event Viewer' into the windows search box and it should come up - really only need to look at anything that comes up under Critical errors).

So I have installed the drivers at one point (haven't since I got it back the second time) I did however just see a hardware error for the very first time in the reliability monitor/event viewer

Livekernelevent
1b0
Ffffffffc0000001
Fffff803a873d680
10_0_19044
0_0
768_1

I have tried the integrated graphics but that only made the problem worse, instead of the screen freezing everything just goes black

So I have installed the drivers at one point (haven't since I got it back the second time) I did however just see a hardware error for the very first time in the reliability monitor/event viewer

Livekernelevent
1b0
Ffffffffc0000001
Fffff803a873d680
10_0_19044
0_0
768_1

I have tried the integrated graphics but that only made the problem worse, instead of the screen freezing everything just goes black

Hmm, looking that up, it appears to be a graphics driver crash....

Have you tried disabling the IGP (either in the bios or in device manager in Windows)?

WD_BLACK 500gb m.2

I've had another thought - you are pairing a 5600G with an X570 mobo- those boards came out a good while before the 5600G. What bios revision is the mobo on?

Looking on the Gigabyte website you need bios revision F35 or newer to support a 5600G: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/support#support-cpu

It's possible the cpu will work on older versions but not correctly so if the bios is older than that I'd definitely update it, downloads here:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios