Question New PC build does not recognize thumb drives

Feb 21, 2020
New PC build does not recognize thumb drives

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RGnTZf

Just built this (first build, all assembly went well... at least I thought until now) fired it up, and went into the bios. I know my USB ports are functioning because my mouse/keyboards combo works in any port. Anyway, I cannot get my thumb drive to appear for updating bios / installing windows.

I first tried installing windows (downloaded from a windows computer), on a thumb drive, formatted properly with the ISO file on it. Under bootable devices, my SSD appears, and nothing else. I tried messing with some settings as recommended on some forums, but couldn't get anything else to appear.

Next, I figured updating bios was a good move. Downloaded (from a windows computer) the update (ASUS B450 mobo as seen on pcpartpicker) and put it on my normal, non-reformatted thumb drive. Plug it in. Nothing found. Eventually I got my bios updated by doing the update via internet, hoping this would solve the issue, and it did not.

I have also tried:

• every single usb port
  • restarting the system many times
  • loaded "optimized defaults" on bios
  • tried various other thumb drives and external hard drives

I cannot figure out what I might be doing wrong. I have read tons of forums but almost every one is based around error messages like "bootable device not recognized" not the drive simply not appearing at all.

Is there a chance that the USB could be functioning but I have some hardware wired improperly that results in the USB not detecting my thumb drive? Possibly an issue with my motherboard?

Complete rookie here and any advice would be much appreciated. Please let me know if I can provide any further detail.

Thanks!

Feb 21, 2020
A couple of questions:
What tool did you use to create the bootable USB from the .iso file?
What file system was on the "normal, non-reformatted thumb drive" (e.g. FAT32, NTFS, etc)?

Thank you for the reply!

My first attempt, I downloaded windows from Microsoft’s website and selected “USB drive” instead of ISO file, allowing that download to partition my usb and put the download directly on my USB. That didn’t work, so then I downloaded again, this time just the ISO file, and used Rufus to format my USB, and copied the download over to the USB. Still no luck.

When I was trying to update my bios, using a “normal, non-reformatted thumb drive” the file system of that USB is FAT32.

Thanks again!

New PC build does not recognize thumb drives

Eventually I got my bios updated by doing the update via internet, hoping this would solve the issue, and it did not.

How did you update via internet if Windows isn't installed?

Also, you said you tried every USB port. Do you mean on the front of the case AND the USB ports on the back? How about the USB ports you use for keyboard/mouse?

Feb 21, 2020
How did you update via internet if Windows isn't installed?

Also, you said you tried every USB port. Do you mean on the front of the case AND the USB ports on the back? How about the USB ports you use for keyboard/mouse?

Thanks for the reply. Asus's bios allows you to select "by internet" as an option to update bios. You just need to connect your pc with an ethernet cable. See the link below

Edit: Sorry, just noticed the second part of your question. Yep, front of the case and the ports on the back. I have also tried using the port that I typically have the keyboard/mouse in. Mouse/keyboard will work (in all 2.0 slots, I'd have to confirm 3.0) and USBs do not.

Last edited: