Question New PC build doesn't power on.

Jun 5, 2020
Hello!

I just built my first system, all new parts, but it doesn't do anything when I press the power button.
The system is not complete, graphics card hasn't arrived yet, but here's the parts list:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Mobo: Asus Prime X470 pro
RAM: G.Skill Trident-Z Royal 3000Mhz cl16 2x8GB
Storage: Kingston a2000 1TB m.2 nvme ssd
PSU: Corsair RM 650x
Case: Lian-Li Lancool 2

I just wanted to testboot the parts that I already have, because there are some parts that are closing in on their 1 month after purchase. The motherboard is sure getting power, because the rgb lights up as soon as I flip on the psu. I tried reconnecting the powerswitch connector every way, also tried shorting out the pins, didn't work. Reconnected the power cables, reseated the ram sticks, didn't work. As a last resort I pulled the graphics card from my flatmates pc and put it in my rig, still didn't work. Also tried clearing the CMOS by taking out the CMOS battery for 30 seconds. Might be worth to note that the mobo was an OEM part.
I have three possibilities in mind:
  1. The mobo has a case of DOA
  2. maybe the cmos battery is dead.
  3. The board might have been sitting in the sellers storage since before the bios updates, so the bios might not have been flashed to support ryzen 3000 series (though i don't know if that could cause a no power on).
Please, help me out!

Jun 5, 2020
which GPU did you try?

most likely you will need a 1st or 2nd gen Ryzen to update the BIOS and then run the 3600
I tried with Radeon Rx 480. So you tell me that a not compatible bios won't even turn on with my r5 3600? Anyway, I've contacted the mobo retailer, if I can't solve this issue during the weekend, I will take it to them to have a look at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: helpstar