Question New PC Build: Fans are running but there's no display ?

Mar 14, 2024
I am building a new PC (based largely on some of the 2024 hardware recommended here). When I power it on, the fans run but I am not getting any display. I don't have an internal PC speaker so I don't know if there would be any beeps telling me anything more. Unsure if that is something I could buy and plug into this mobo to help out troubleshooting???

I have removed everything but the mobo, processor, RAM, and power supply. I have removed and reseated all the pieces and cables. I have tried each RAM slot with each piece of RAM alone. I am trying to use the internal display port for display. I previously had the graphics card plugged in but it also wasn't showing anything on the display (display port or HDMI). I haven't tried plugging any drives in yet.

PC Build
Intel Core i5-14400F
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 4060 Ti OC
CORSAIR CX750M 80 PLUS Bronze Semi-Modular Low-Noise ATX 750 Watt Power Supply
Crucial RAM 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL22
ASRock B760M-HDV/M.2 D4 (mobo)
Lian Li Lancool 216 RGB Black Steel (case)

This mobo doesn't have an RBG controller plug in and I'm not clear where / if I can plug in all the cables from the fan controller. There's one unlabled 4-pin connector that makes all the fans run fast if I plug it in. Unclear where its supposed to go.

Any ideas?

Mar 14, 2024
can't use the internal display port as your cpu don't have igpu.
what the monitor?

What?!? It has the plugs on the mobo, I just assumed they would work. I can put the GeForce GPU back in though, was just trying to remove one possible source of the issue.

I've tried an assortment of different monitors. I have an old Dell one that I'm using now, I was originally trying on a newer ViewEdge monitor.

logainofhades

Titan
What?!? It has the plugs on the mobo, I just assumed they would work. I can put the GeForce GPU back in though, was just trying to remove one possible source of the issue.

I've tried an assortment of different monitors. I have an old Dell one that I'm using now, I was originally trying on a newer ViewEdge monitor.

F sku chips lack IGP rendering motherboard ports useless.

Mar 14, 2024
got the pcie power to the gpu?

It is plugged in. I noticed something interesting I hadn't noticed before though as I was verifying the fans turn on....

The GPU fans turn on at boot but after 2-3 seconds, they stop spinning. Maybe that's normal because the GPU isn't hot yet or maybe that's a symptom of my no display problems?

It is plugged in. I noticed something interesting I hadn't noticed before though as I was verifying the fans turn on....

The GPU fans turn on at boot but after 2-3 seconds, they stop spinning. Maybe that's normal because the GPU isn't hot yet or maybe that's a symptom of my no display problems?
When you say the GPU is plugged in, do you mean it is properly installed into the motherboard slot AND you have the required power cable(s) plugged into your GPU with the other ends of those cables plugged into your PSU?

Mar 14, 2024
When you say the GPU is plugged in, do you mean it is properly installed into the motherboard slot AND you have the required power cable(s) plugged into your GPU with the other ends of those cables plugged into your PSU?

Yes all those things.

Mar 14, 2024
What version of BIOS is your motherboard on? It should say it on the motherboard box. Do you have the CPU cooler plugged into the header on the motherboard labeled CPU_Fan? Do you have the extra 4/8 pin CPU power connectors plugged in at the top left of the motherboard?

I'm not seeing any BIOS version on the box... it's whatever BIOS came with the mobo, I've never upgraded because I've never gotten it working.

CPU fan is plugged into CPU_FAN1.

The 8 pin CPU power connector is plugged in.

Mar 14, 2024
I also just got a PC speaker I can plug in to try and see if I could get any beep codes. Its a 4 pin plug though and the only thing I see that appears like it might be a PC speaker plug on this mobo is an 8 pin connection labeled SPK_C11. I tried plugging it into one side of the 8 pins but that didn't seem to work. Maybe this mobo simply doesn't support an pc speaker.

I also just got a PC speaker I can plug in to try and see if I could get any beep codes. Its a 4 pin plug though and the only thing I see that appears like it might be a PC speaker plug on this mobo is an 8 pin connection labeled SPK_C11. I tried plugging it into one side of the 8 pins but that didn't seem to work. Maybe this mobo simply doesn't support an pc speaker.
No issue is BIOS. Need BIOS update. Sadly there is no Flashback option on that board. Man should have gone with Gigabyte board instead.

Well now you either take it to local store to get the bios updated. Or ask a friend who got similar build with previous gen CPU 13th Gen or 12th Gen CPU which got IGPU and get it working. Or Use Previous Gen GPU. If you got one. Or if your Friend has one. But yeah once you use RTX4000 series GPU the previous Gen GPUs stopped working too. So yeah getting previous Gen CPU be a safer bet but you can try with OLD GPU first as that is less pain to deal with than switching CPU.

Mar 14, 2024
No issue is BIOS. Need BIOS update. Sadly there is no Flashback option on that board. Man should have gone with Gigabyte board instead.

Well now you either take it to local store to get the bios updated. Or ask a friend who got similar build with previous gen CPU 13th Gen or 12th Gen CPU which got IGPU and get it working. Or Use Previous Gen GPU. If you got one. Or if your Friend has one. But yeah once you use RTX4000 series GPU the previous Gen GPUs stopped working too. So yeah getting previous Gen CPU be a safer bet but you can try with OLD GPU first as that is less pain to deal with than switching CPU.

I had a GTX 650 laying around that I tried but no dice with that either. Don't have anything else handy.

Since it sounds like the mobo is the issue, I'm just going to return it and buy something else rather than screwing around with it more. It was lacking an RBG and USB C plug I wanted anyways so maybe this is better. I'll follow back on this thread once the new mobo shows up and I can install it. Ordered a GIGABYTE Z790 UD AX that should be here sometime tomorrow.

I had a GTX 650 laying around that I tried but no dice with that either. Don't have anything else handy.

Since it sounds like the mobo is the issue, I'm just going to return it and buy something else rather than screwing around with it more. It was lacking an RBG and USB C plug I wanted anyways so maybe this is better. I'll follow back on this thread once the new mobo shows up and I can install it. Ordered a GIGABYTE Z790 UD AX that should be here sometime tomorrow.
Just check if it is DDR5 or DDR4 board you ordered. If DDR4 board then fine. If DDR5 board send back the RAM as well and switch up to DDR5. It is not crazy expensive.

Mar 14, 2024
Got my GIGABYTE Z790 UD AX and plugged everything in and the SAME problem as before. No display. There's a light on for VGA error.

But also did they send me a used and broken mobo? Look at these pics... CPU pins look bent and the locking mechanism on the PCI Express port literally has fallen off. It also didn't arrive in a static bag which was surprising.

https://ibb.co/RT6tRkX

Got my GIGABYTE Z790 UD AX and plugged everything in and the SAME problem as before. No display. There's a light on for VGA error.

But also did they send me a used and broken mobo? Look at these pics... CPU pins look bent and the locking mechanism on the PCI Express port literally has fallen off. It also didn't arrive in a static bag which was surprising.

https://ibb.co/RT6tRkX
Return for replacement. From what site did you order. Well most do replace without much hassle.

And RAM is installed wrong.

But also did they send me a used and broken mobo? Look at these pics... CPU pins look bent and
the locking mechanism on the PCI Express port literally has fallen off.
It also didn't arrive in a static bag which was surprising.

20240318-225817.jpg
CPU socket is damaged.
If you can not fix damaged/bent pins, then get a new board.

Mar 14, 2024
Got a new board, getting much closer now, it boots with a display!!!

Getting this screen though that is seeing my 3 hard drives but not seeing a boot device??? Any thoughts on that? My drives are a bit older. The Samsung drive was the one i booted from on my old PC, was hoping to just plug it in to the new pc and be off and running.

View: https://imgur.com/a/Oki8ymB

Got a new board, getting much closer now, it boots with a display!!!

Getting this screen though that is seeing my 3 hard drives but not seeing a boot device??? Any thoughts on that? My drives are a bit older. The Samsung drive was the one i booted from on my old PC, was hoping to just plug it in to the new pc and be off and running.

View: https://imgur.com/a/Oki8ymB
Fresh install Windows man. Transfer if any important content on that drive to other and then fresh install.

Mar 14, 2024
Any solutions other than fresh install?

I don't even have a cd-rom in this computer or a spot in this case to install one lol. Plus i don't want to screw around reinstalling and reconfiguring everything.