Question New PC build freezes before windows screen

May 21, 2020
Hi guys,
I have a rather particular issue that I cannot seem to resolve through some basic troubleshooting.
On a cold start up (PC off for an extended period >~60 minutes) my PC passes the BIOS start up screen then freezes either on the rotating loading symbol or on a complete black screen (both prior to reaching the windows login page).
After it freezes, the PC waits for around 10 seconds, then it runs through its initial start up again (Q-LED’s process through on motherboard) and stops on the white LED on the motherboard indicating GPU. No beeps or blinks and will not stop until I hold down the shutdown button to turn it off.
Once started again it boots fine (aside from the “windows didn’t shut down correctly warning due to the hard shut down”).
Please note, This ONLY occurs on first start up after the PC has been off for an extended period. Once started back up it runs perfectly fine, can play games at expected quality, run benchmarks and there are no signs that the GPU is under performing.
To prevent the occurrence, I can roll back the GPU driver to the basic Microsoft display adapter, this allows bootup to be fine every time.
Some things I have tried:
  • BIOS default settings (including XMP off)
  • Power savings settings optimized for performance
  • Clean installing latest GPU drivers in safemode
  • reinstall latest chipset drivers
  • Motherboard BIOS update
  • Clean windows reinstall
  • Adding TDRDelay script in registry

None of these have been able to rectify the issue. Any ideas or tips will be welcomed with open arms, I’m quickly running out of ideas!

Build Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard: Asus TUF Gaming x570-Plus (WI-FI)
RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 32GB (2 X 16) DDR4 3200MHZ C16 (CMW32GX4M2C3200C16)
GPU: GIGABYTE RADEON RX 5600 XT GAMING OC 6G GRAPHIC CARD
SSD: 1TB SAMSUNG SSD 860 QVO (OS)
PSU: CORSAIR 850W RM 80+ GOLD FULLY MODULAR

TIA!

May 21, 2020
From what i know have AMD not had the best drivers lately. Might try DDU to uninstall and try not the latest for the gpu.

Can you try the gpu in someone elses pc?

That will be my next step! Overnight I did a fresh OS install and only installed:

• Windows 10 updates
  • AMD Ryzen master + AMD x570 chipset drivers

Left it for the night and it started fine in the morning.
then, installed an older revision of AMD Raedon software (20.1.3), cold boot over 8 hours later and the issue reoccurs...

The problem would be less confusing if a hard shut down and restart didnt fix the issue...

If i roll back the display driver to the basic Microsoft display adapter it boots fine again.

Fairly close to seeking RMA on the product

May 21, 2020
Have you found a solution yet?

I'm having the same issue - same GPU!

The GPU is with Gigabyte at the moment (took it to my retailer). It was sent off with the information in this post. it was sent last Friday (29/05/2020), expected time for replacement/repair is 4 weeks. Will keep you posted when i hear back and hopefully get a better understanding of the issue.

Jun 3, 2020
Funny thing this morning.. Initial startup (black screen as per usual), second start - I let it sit in BIOS for 5mins, and rebooted - golden.

It's almost as though it had to warm up before working.. The whole needing safemode+reset thing may have just been a time killing solution.

Maybe I just got lucky on that second boot, will need furthur testing - Or, maybe there's a capacitor or RC circuit problem somewhere?