Question New PC build freezing/rebooting randomly

Nov 16, 2020
So I just put together a new PC this weekend and I've been having lots of stability issues. Sometimes the system will randomly reboot while doing simple tasks and other times Windows will simply lock up and I won't be able to click anything or enter Task Manager, forcing me to hard reboot. I've been checking Windows Event Viewer and I'm getting a few errors. The most frequent one is this...

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor APIC ID: 0

Event ID: 18

I've gotten one BSOD and Event Viewer said, "Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation." Event ID 161.

I've also been running Cinebench r23 and my numbers seem to be really low compared to the reported average of identical systems...

Multi-Core: 22352
Single-Core: 1218
MP Ratio: 18.36

Computer has locked up and/or rebooted during benchmarks a few times.

My BIOS and drivers seem to all be up to date and I've done some health checks in command prompt, but the freezing and rebooting is still happening. CPU temp is a little high at 45-50C at idle, but it stays below 70C under load. Having A-XMP turned on seemed to increase the frequency of crashes. The ram is currently not even running at its rated frequency of 3600, but on auto in the low-2000's according to my BIOS.

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter
Case Fan: Corsair LL140 51.5 CFM 140 mm Fans x2 and Corsair LL120 63 CFM 120 mm Fans x3

Feb 18, 2020
So I just put together a new PC this weekend and I've been having lots of stability issues. Sometimes the system will randomly reboot while doing simple tasks and other times Windows will simply lock up and I won't be able to click anything or enter Task Manager, forcing me to hard reboot. I've been checking Windows Event Viewer and I'm getting a few errors. The most frequent one is this...

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor APIC ID: 0

Event ID: 18

I've gotten one BSOD and Event Viewer said, "Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation." Event ID 161.

I've also been running Cinebench r23 and my numbers seem to be really low compared to the reported average of identical systems...

Multi-Core: 22352
Single-Core: 1218
MP Ratio: 18.36

Computer has locked up and/or rebooted during benchmarks a few times.

My BIOS and drivers seem to all be up to date and I've done some health checks in command prompt, but the freezing and rebooting is still happening. CPU temp is a little high at 45-50C at idle, but it stays below 70C under load. Having A-XMP turned on seemed to increase the frequency of crashes. The ram is currently not even running at its rated frequency of 3600, but on auto in the low-2000's according to my BIOS.

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter
Case Fan: Corsair LL140 51.5 CFM 140 mm Fans x2 and Corsair LL120 63 CFM 120 mm Fans x3
set your nvidia power management to high performance.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/pc-rebooting-with-3080-fe-installed.3661334/post-22080598

I had the same issue and that seems to have fixed it.. However its not a permanent fix as the card now draws more power and runs hotter at idle. Hopefully the OEMs or nvidia address this soon with an update.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS