theRTT

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
Hello.

I have a brand new PC Build that keeps crashing in games. This happens oddly enough only with Origin games (for as far as I know): Apex Legends and Star Wars Battlefront II. When I was playing Overwatch, it didn't crash.
The crashes happen mid-game. So not in the menu or whatever. I have no start up issues and the games run really good until the crash. The crashes are random.

The error message I get when playing Apex Legends is: 0x887A0006 - DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG the application's device failed due to badly formed commands sent by the application. this is an design-time issue that should be investigated and fixed.
For Star Wars Battlefront II however, I don't get an error message and the game just randomly closes.

I've installed and used MSI Afterburner to monitor my PC. Here is a link to a nice round of Apex, without the game crashing. As far as I can tell, there is nothing weird to see and the temperatures etc. look good. If there is anything weird, please tell me:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6RyNWhYJVg

In the benchmark test from 3DMark, I get really good results too.

3DMark Benchmark scores:
-Score in Fire Strike Extreme: 21.691
-Score in Time Spy: 17.086
-PCI Express feature test: 26.26 GB/s Bandwith

My Pc:

GPU: Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 3080 Xtreme 10G (rev. 2.0, LHR)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor 3.80 GHz
RAM: G-Skill F4-3600C16-16VGKC
MOBO: Gigabyte x570 AORUS Elite
PSU: Corsair RM850x (2021)
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63
Fan hub: Corsair iCUE Commander PRO
Custom power cables for GPU: Corsair Premium cable, 6+2 pin, PCIe, single cable, type 4 (generation 4 series), for power supplies, with sheathing, white

What I have tried:

The obvious:

-Everything is up to date.
-Temperatures are fine.

Windows:
-Windows Reinstall
-Changed PC Power Plan to High Performance.

GPU:
-GPU Driver Reinstall
-GPU Driver Reinstall after removing with DDU
-GPU Registry Keys change
-GPU Set to performance mode

RAM:
-Windows Memory Diagnostic
-XMP Profile set to default
-XMP Profile to set higher performance

SSD:
-Checked SSD health with CrystalDiskInfo

Origin:
-Origin Reinstall
-Game Reinstall
-Game Repair

Programs runnin in the background:
As far as I know, none of these cause issues. I have already encountered the problem without these running in the background:
-NZXT CAM
-MSI Afterburner
-Geforce Experience
-Discord
-Corsair iCue
-Razer Synapse

Restoro:
I've also read something about Restoro, but I don't know if I actually can trust this program. Here is what it says:
-9 crashed programs
-107 Broken Registry

I am starting to run out of idea's what the problem might be. Surely you expect a PC like this to have no problems at all.. But for some reason the games keep crashing. I could really use some help from people that know how to fix this.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
0x887A0006 - DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG the application's device failed due to badly formed commands sent by the application. this is an design-time issue that should be investigated and fixed.
I think Rivatuner Statistics is the culprit. Some games are allergic to overlays such as this, causing them to crash, most probably its due to the anti cheat.
Fix is not to run Rivatuner statistics to show hardware stats while playing the game.
I am playing also a similar game and experience crash, but by not running the rivatuner software I am able to play smoothly.

There's also no need to keep running MSI after burner each time to load your settings. You can set it to apply the settings on Windows boot.

theRTT

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
I think Rivatuner Statistics is the culprit. Some games are allergic to overlays such as this, causing them to crash, most probably its due to the anti cheat.
Fix is not to run Rivatuner statistics to show hardware stats while playing the game.
I am playing also a similar game and experience crash, but by not running the rivatuner software I am able to play smoothly.

There's also no need to keep running MSI after burner each time to load your settings. You can set it to apply the settings on Windows boot.

Thank you for your answer, but it's not. I've only installed that because I was getting crashes. MSI afterburner and Rivatuner Statistics aren't the problem.

Thank you anyway!