NEW Pc Build! Help Emergency

That_Tech_Guy_Again

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2016
So i finished building my NEW and FIRST Build! Needless to say, it did not go so well, i put the power cord in, flicked the power switch to the ON position, and then i pressed The power button on the front case. HOWEVER, immediately there was this ELECTRIC sound, and smoke was immediately released from ALL AROUND the PSU. So i instantly turned the Back switch to the OFF position and then UNplugged the Power cord. So what does everyone think? Is my NEW computer broken? was what happened normal? or abnormal? What went wrong?

I am now too afraid to turn the computer on in case it is broken, or in case i end up breaking it BY TURNING IT ON!!!!!

HELP!!!!!

Also, all the lights and fans did turn on at the same time. Just in case this information is helpful.

Solution
And what's on the other end of those wires?
Something like this?

41664JisjlL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

finitekosmos

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
You need to provide the full spec of your machine, including the PSU its manufacturer and power rating in Watts. We can't actually diagnose the issue without the details.

But from what you've described, it sounds like your PSU may have blown, if not other components, you may have popped a cable in the wrong place. But we'll save a complete diagnosis for when you provide the specs, can you post a pic or two as well of the interior? if you can spot any area that looks damaged include that in the pic.

Good luck!

That_Tech_Guy_Again

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2016

Components

CPU

AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor

Motherboard

Gigabyte - X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory

Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Storage

Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Video Card

Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card

Case

GamerChief - HYVE ATX Full Tower Case

Power Supply

Corsair - 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive

Pioneer - BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

I could not find anything that looked destroyed/damaged.

That_Tech_Guy_Again

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2016

I checked the back side of the case and found something,. not sure if it is the culprit or if it is damage that was caused, but it is an EXPOSED power cord, where some of the insulating rubber has slipped off the end near th plug, i would show you a pic but i do not know how to upload pics here.

I uploaded the pic to a photo uploader site. https://screenshot.net/70qr3f6

That_Tech_Guy_Again

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2016

It is exposed COPPER wiring. Unfortunately my phone is crap. so a better pic might be impossible. Is there any other possible information i can give you to help you figure out the problem?

That_Tech_Guy_Again

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2016

I managed to take a better pic. It is exposed wiring. https://imgur.com/syW4LaY

I am not sure if i left it UNplugged by accident, or of the plug was loose and the electric shock i saw pushed the plug out...

That_Tech_Guy_Again

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2016

The cable is exposed on the back side of the case where you run all your cables behind. The power cord belongs to the back fan. Hope this helps a bit.

That_Tech_Guy_Again

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2016

What do you mean? I am not sure i quite understand. If i understand correctly, are you asking if the copper wiring is NOT apart of the power connector plug?

The copper wiring, looks like.... the insulating rubber around was pulled BACK... causing the copper wiring to be exposed.

I am also UNsure if the cord was connected to the PSU at the time. But when i cHecked the specific cord... it was NOT connected to the power.... Perhaps it was loose? And maybe it fell off?

To be EXACT... it is ONLY THE MIDDLE WIRE..... The other wires are just the light being reflected.

That_Tech_Guy_Again

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2016

Well Sort of. The cord was SUPPOSED to be connected to the type of connector on the right, and then the connector on the LEFT SIDE of the picture would go into the psu. However, when i discovered the cord with the exposed wiring, itw as NOT connected to the cable in the picture you just showed me.

That_Tech_Guy_Again

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2016
HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I TOOK OUT THE CORD WHICH WAS A BIT DAMAGED AND TRIED STARTING THE COMPUTER AGAIN!@!!! IT IS WORKING PERFECTLY.... NO SMOKE OR ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ONLY PROBLEM IS I GOT NO FANS RUNNIG OTHER THAN CPU FAN AND GRAPHICS CARD FANS RUNNING!!!!!! ALL 3 CASE FANS ARE OFF!!!!!!! BUT DAMN THOSE RGB LIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!:D

finitekosmos

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
Thats great news That Tech Guy, Always be wary of cable splitters like the one above, they don't all cause these kinds of issues, but if they are poorly made they can result in a short. Most people here will advise that such PSU splitter cables be avoided. Also please select skynetrising's answer as the solution, it really helps us all. :)

With respect to your PSU it may still have suffered some damage to its power delivery rails you may want to consider having it properly tested and/or replaced.