Question New PC build, how to determine needed stats to run multiple specific games + expansions?

kesomon

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2013
Su Cuy'gar, forum! I'm working on a new PC build since the last one I built was back in 2013 (yikes) and I'm building with some specific games in mind to play. I have the stats I need which are recommended to play for each game, however I'm not sure if I need to go further than the recommendations in order for the PC to run properly with all said games installed.

The games i'm looking to run are:
  • Cities Skylines plus expansions, mods and DLC
  • The Isle
  • The Sims 4 + expansions
  • SWTOR online
I believe I've determined that the recommended maximums of each main stat are:
Video Card: 5.0 pixel + vertex shader, 2048mb dedicated vid Ram, recommended option was the nVidia GeForce 960 or higher.
CPU: quad-speed core intel or amd processor 3/5ghz or faster, recommended for SWTOR was Intel Core i7-4770 or AMD FX-8310 or better.
RAM: 8gb recommended for The Isle, the other games were lower

I'm not worried about the OS or disk space, it's mostly operational hardware I need to improve.

the question I have is, should I go with the recommended max stats I've determined I need here, or should I look for better/more capacity/higher power in order for the PC to not lag after it stores all those games?

(I feel like the answer is something stupidly obvious but I'm not seeing it.)

Would also appreciate any advice if it relates to something I've missed as vital to consider, since it's been 8 years since my last build and I can't remember any of what I did last time lol.
EDIT: I do remember that last time I built the PC in order to run Sims 4, Photoshop, and SWTOR as it was in 2013, but now it lags badly doing any of those, so I figured if I'm gonna upgrade, I may as well build for other games in mind as well.

kanewolf

Titan
Su Cuy'gar, forum! I'm working on a new PC build since the last one I built was back in 2013 (yikes) and I'm building with some specific games in mind to play. I have the stats I need which are recommended to play for each game, however I'm not sure if I need to go further than the recommendations in order for the PC to run properly with all said games installed.

The games i'm looking to run are:
  • Cities Skylines plus expansions, mods and DLC
  • The Isle
  • The Sims 4 + expansions
  • SWTOR online
I believe I've determined that the recommended maximums of each main stat are:
Video Card: 5.0 pixel + vertex shader, 2048mb dedicated vid Ram, recommended option was the nVidia GeForce 960 or higher.
CPU: quad-speed core intel or amd processor 3/5ghz or faster, recommended for SWTOR was Intel Core i7-4770 or AMD FX-8310 or better.
RAM: 8gb recommended for The Isle, the other games were lower

I'm not worried about the OS or disk space, it's mostly operational hardware I need to improve.

the question I have is, should I go with the recommended max stats I've determined I need here, or should I look for better/more capacity/higher power in order for the PC to not lag after it stores all those games?

(I feel like the answer is something stupidly obvious but I'm not seeing it.)

Would also appreciate any advice if it relates to something I've missed as vital to consider, since it's been 8 years since my last build and I can't remember any of what I did last time lol.
Any quad core or better CPU will be fine. Any desktop today, should have 2x8GB memory. Then it is just a question of budget for graphics. A 1660 would be a good choice that might be available.

Reactions: kesomon

kesomon

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2013
I think I've decided on a cpu, on to graphics cards - it's super encouraging to read the reviews on a recommended card set where half the reviews are praising the gods of its existence and the other half are complaining it set on fire after 3 years. -_-