New PC Build installing Windows 11 from USB

May 26, 2023
Hi all!

I just finally put together a new PC build after 15+ years from doing it. I purchased the Windows 11 Pro USB installation stick from Microsoft as well to do a fresh install on a blank Samsun 990 Pro 2gig.

Specs:
Asus ROG Z790 Gaming Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix RTX 4090
64 GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6400
Intel 13900K
Samsung 990 Pro
Samsung 980 Pro

So I get to the BIOS screen and from there choose the USB thumb drive that contains the Windows 11 Pro setup. Than it goes through the setup phase but once it does the first reboot it stays in a blank/black screen. I can't get back into BIOS or anything unless I turn off the PC and restart it. Any help would be appreciated!

Colif

Win 11 Master
It could help to only have 1 nvme in PC when you install.

Do you have latest bios?

Are you using boot override on the Advanced/boot tab?
page 87 = https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1700/ROG_STRIX_Z790-E_GAMING_WIFI/E21402_ROG_STRIX_Z790_Series_BIOS_Manual_EM_draft1.pdf?model=ROG STRIX Z790-E GAMING WIFI

windows can get stuck on the 1st restart stage, but if you use boot override it shouldn't. On a new PC there shouldn't be any boot devices anyway. Just the USB and you don't need to add it to boot order on a new mb, it should just boot from it.

Could help to make a new installer - download 2nd link and use to make new installer - https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11

reducing amount of ram might help too.

Last edited:
May 26, 2023
Thanks for the reply Colif, I only saw the UEFI usb windows drive in the advance boot. In the BIOS screen it shows and recognizes all my drives but in the advance screen, only the UEFI usb drive is shown.

I've removed all the NVME M.2 drives and only have 1 drive now (the Samsung 990 Pro 2tb).

I'm still getting a blank screen when it does it's first reboot. :(

Update: It looks like the RAM was the issue. I removed one of the 32 gb RAM stick and left the other one in and now it works. I'll probably have to update windows with all the updates b4 reinstalling the 2nd RAM stick. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS