Question New PC build is crashing frequently

Jun 1, 2023
Looking for some troubleshooting tips please if anyone has any suggestions on what to check to fix the issue.

This is a brand new PC build I did over the weekend, only my 2nd build ever and the first was in 2016 so... I am kinda novice here. Parts list is below. When I first fired it up after building it and installing windows 11, it seemed fine. I did the initial driver updates and then plugged it into my main set up which includes two monitors from a KVM connected to the GPU via Display Port. That's when things started going awry. It was running very choppy, sometimes a screen would wink out for a moment then come back, and then it would sometimes freeze for a moment or two. Then it started locking up and required hard resets. Updating the rest of the drivers wasn't fixing it and I got to the point where it was blue screening and I couldn't get it to boot.

So, reinstalled windows and tried again. This time I had just a single monitor plugged into the HDMI port on my mobo. Everything runs fine. I update everything I can think of. Let it run overnight, no crashing. I plug it back into my GPU via the 2 monitor KVM set up and its back to locking up. Sometimes I don't even get to log into Windows before it reboots itself. Sometimes it goes a few minutes before it hard freezes. I havent even tried a game yet or to stress it in anyway. When it locked up last night, my son was around and he noticed that the LCD screen on my cooler blanked out for a moment when it froze. This morning when it froze again I looked at the LCD and the RGB was stagnant at white for a moment before resuming its color swirl. I think this is a huge clue as to what's going on but I am not savvy enough to know what to do from here.

What I've tried: Updating everything I can think of. All my drivers are current to the best of my knowledge and two driver updater apps agree. Windows updates are done and includes DirectX 12. NVidia driver is from 30 May so that's pretty current. Mobo is updated to the latest firmware. I downloaded NVidia's UEFI tool and it told me I have the latest firmware running. I changed settings in NVidia's control panel for Power (its at maximum performance), Vert sync (disabled). XMP is off in my bios and its telling me I'm running at 4600mhz of the possible 7800 its capable of. Power cord is plugged directly into the wall. Graphics card has a 12 pin power connector that I have attached to a splitter and then to 3 separate 8 pin connectors each going to a port on the PSU.

Build - every part is new except where noted:
MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi D5
Intel I9 13900K 13th Gen
NVidia Geforce RTX 4080
G.Skillz Trident 7800 32GB (2x16) RAM
Asus Thor 1000W 80+P PSU
Corsair ICUE H150i Elite LCD XT cooler
Samsung 2TB 990 Pro SSD (new) plus a 2ndary Samsung 980 from my old machine that's just storage at the moment
Windows 11 from a store bought MS bootable thumb drive

What I am thinking of doing next... 1) removing and reseating the Graphics card in case I did that wrong and 2) trying my old graphics card (an NVidia 1080) from my old rig to see if it has issues too. If it does, maybe its my PSU? Or how I have the new one wired?

Please let me know if I am missing any detail from the above that may help. And thanks!!

Since it works fine when running off the iGPU, then clearly it's related to the graphics card or power supply.

EXACTLY which 1000w Thor power supply model do you have, as there are several models and multiple generations of those units.

Also, that unit SHOULD have multiple 6+2 pin EPS/PCIe cables and it would probably be advisable to use those rather than using the 12 pin connector with adapters. Simply use two cables, and use both connectors on one cable and one connector on a second cable. Assuming of course that this unit, which I can't verify since I don't know which one specifically you have, has them, which I'm fairly sure it does.

Wouldn't hurt to re-seat the card and make sure all the connections are firmly seated though.

Jun 1, 2023
Since it works fine when running off the iGPU, then clearly it's related to the graphics card or power supply.

EXACTLY which 1000w Thor power supply model do you have, as there are several models and multiple generations of those units.

Also, that unit SHOULD have multiple 6+2 pin EPS/PCIe cables and it would probably be advisable to use those rather than using the 12 pin connector with adapters. Simply use two cables, and use both connectors on one cable and one connector on a second cable. Assuming of course that this unit, which I can't verify since I don't know which one specifically you have, has them, which I'm fairly sure it does.

Wouldn't hurt to re-seat the card and make sure all the connections are firmly seated though.
Thanks!! I'll try looking at the wiring first tonight.
The PSU is a ROG-THOR-1000P2-GAMING

The splitter I was using came with it. Looks like this: