Question New PC build: keyboard/mouse not working on Windows log in

Apr 2, 2019
So this is only the second time I've built a PC and most of the components were given to me by a friend. The HDD's, audio card, and RAM are the only things I salvaged from my old setup, so the new build has a 'fresh' MOBO (M5A99X Evo), new heat sink and CPU cooler, graphics card, PSU ... all inside a much larger case than my previous one.

When I first started it up I checked everything in the BIOS, all seemed good, so I saved and reset. I then got the 'Windows did not start properly' etc screen and was taken to the Startup Repair. A window popped up after a few minutes saying I need to restart the computer to complete repairs, at that point I discovered that my mouse and keyboard weren't working (they worked fine on the BIOS). After a bit of Googling it seemed apparent that a 'new' MOBO tends to require a fresh installation of Windows. I was running Win 7 on my previous MOBO and my friend had run it on the newer MOBO before I used it, so there's no compatibility issue there. Anyway, I put a copy of Win 7 on a USB and booted it from the USB, only to find myself stuck on a black screen with a flashing underscore.

The next day I tried booting again but from the HDD and I started it in safe mode with networking, was able to get to the login screen but of course my keyboard and mouse weren't working. How am I going to reinstall Windows if I can't boot it from the USB? I don't have a DVD drive but I'll get one if booting from there is more likely to help.

EDIT: Just started it up again and the red LED below the CPU has appeared. -_-

Any ideas? Thanks.

M5A99X Evo
GTX 760 2GB
FX 6300 6 Core 3.8Ghz
12gb DDR3

Last edited:

Zephyl

Commendable
Mar 13, 2017
Make a new bootable USB, and make sure it really is bootable. Since you got a new MOBO, you will need a reinstall of Windows for sure. Try bootable drive creations tools such as RUFUS.