Hey everyone
Got a new pc build that I am having trouble with
I have a ga 970a d3p mobo
Currently 1 8gb ripjaw ram
Rx 460 gpu
Amd fx 8350 cpu
And I get 1 long beep and 3 short in post and no display at all

The error code is extended/conventional memory error

I switched the ram out with ram I know works and it still gave the same error code

I have had so many problems with this pc and have been trying to build it for ages if anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated

Solution

Budge414

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
That board requests the user update the BIOS to the latest version for FX CPUs like your 8350, have you done so?
Check (bottom left corner of the board, when upright in your PC) whether your board is Rev 1.0 or Rev 2.x. This link is for Rev 2: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-970A-D3P-rev-2x#support-dl
Also, Rev 1 comes in a white box, Rev 2, black. Do a little research on how to do a BIOS update but it's quite easy.

If you have done the update, and it still doesn't work, try these things in order:

- Reset the BIOS using the Clear CMOS switch.

- Use 1 working RAM stick and try all slots, one at a time. Continue using 1 stick for the rest of your troubleshooting if this doesn't help.

- Unplug the PC and hold the power button for 2 mins, plug back in and try again. (Leaving the PC unplugged overnight might work better and is worth a shot if all else fails)

dannyboy169373

Prominent
Dec 12, 2017

How would I update the bios without a display?

Budge414

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
So true, that part slipped my mind. Try the other fixes first, they're all hardware.

If you still get nothing it's most likely an issue with the motherboard. You'll need to contact the manufacturer for a warranty swap or get it tested by repairer to identify if it's indeed a faulty board. Motherboard and RAM problems are the most common of hardware issues.

dannyboy169373

Prominent
Dec 12, 2017

Would the problem between the cpu and motherboard cause no display? Just wondering because the motherboard is a day old, I ordered to replace a faulty one I already had with this PC.

So confused

Budge414

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013

In regards to the BIOS update? Yes, it can. The boards error might be throwing us all off a bit by pointing to the RAM, but also, in my experience, display issues other than the obvious faulty cable/ports or the classic plug-into-the-motherboard-graphics-port-rather-than-the-gpu-port etc, are commonly caused by RAM. Either the sticks themselves or the slots on the board.

If those fixes did nothing, the next step might be to have someone (a friend, 3rd party repair agent) update the BIOS for you. You would be killing two birds here because if they have trouble doing that, the board is obviously faulty.

The issue you had with the old board was different to this right? It wouldn't be unheard of to have a solid string of bad luck with things like this. Any part you purchase will have a percentage of units that just don't work from the factory and you might just be on the wrong end of a few in succession.

dannyboy169373

Prominent
Dec 12, 2017

Well yeah that is the plan to try with a friends and hopefully that works

None of the other fixes worked, and I tried with my one stick of my brothers ram sticks in each slot and still no display

The mobo beforehand didn't even get to POST, sent it back to manufacturer and they said it was unrepairable

Budge414

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013

Make sure EVERYTHING, every one of those 9 motherboard screws, is seated properly. Since you've changed the motherboard you would have needed to reseat everything anyway, but check anyway.

In regards to the old boa rd not working either, it's also possible you have a PSU problem. We'll let your friend update your motherboard, in the meantime, let me know what PSU are you using, exactly (model no. preferably).

Solution