New PC build, mobo starts up but no signal to monitor, HELP

TheSurvival

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017
Hello, I have recently built a brand new PC and when I start it up, the fans start going, the mobo lights up but the display receives no signal, so I can't do much, the HDMI cable isn't faulty. Here's my specs:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8gJ4tJ

I tried everything, made sure all the wires are plugged in, I'm just thinking it might be something related to the CPU but I'm not sure. I'd be glad if you guys could help me as I'm trying to get this working for ages and it's becoming really frustrating. Thanks in advance.

TheSurvival

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017

Hello, thank you so much for the quick reply, I connected the monitor to the GPU and nothing showed up, so I removed it (GPU) and plugged it into the motherboard, still no display on screen. What could it be....

Might be obvious, but did you check the monitor to make sure it's on the right input? While most auto-switch to active inputs, some monitors do not. So you may need to manually switch it.

Also, you should check your HD activity light to see if it even boots up w/o having the monitor attached. That will let you know if your build is even booting. If you see nothing there, then you have a component /configuration issue in your new build.

TheSurvival

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017

I guarantee you I did, dozens of times, I'm literally 100% sure there is nothing from this list as I checked every single step in detail and concluded that none applies to me.

TheSurvival

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017

I did check thoroughly and I'm pretty sure it's on the right source. It does boot up even without a monitor attached, everything seems to work fine, fans spinning, LEDs working...hmm... my USB stick doesn't light up when it goes into the motherboard USB but that's about it, probably missing drivers.

TheSurvival

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017

Yes, this is due to two reasons. First of all, I think the BIOS needs to be updated in order to run a 7th gen processor, but I'm not sure of it + don't have anyone who could help with that and a computer store says that is not the reason. And secondly, most "No Signal" related issues are due to the CPU, either bent pins or forgetting to plug in the processor power source, which I did.

WildCard999

Titan
The BIOS doesn't need to be updated on the B250 boards for Kabylake, it was the Z170,B150 & H170 boards that required it. If none of the pins are damaged could you possibly return the 7100 and get another? Or go to a local store and buy a cheap 1151 Pentium to test?

Then I would second going to the link that Wildcard previously gave. It has solid troubleshooting steps in it, and likely you've missed one or more of them. A big one to do is to remove the GPU if you have onboard video with your CPU, and see if you get anything. I would also recommend switching to a different type of connector (like using VGA/DVI instead of HDMI) if your monitor supports it; that can help to isolate the issue.

TheSurvival

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017

Definitely not missed a thing as I've been looking through this list for over a week now, nothing. I already tried with onboard graphics and still nothing is happening to my screen. :(

TheSurvival

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017

I'm afraid I can't, as a last resort I'll get it to a local repair shop and they're asking me $55 for a check.

Did you follow the "breadboard" approach mentioned in step #23?

TheSurvival

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017

Sorry but I don't see how that would make a difference as everything would be plugged in in the exact same way. No wires are touching the motherboard and it is indeed lifted away from the case, I made sure the mobo doesn't touch anything, unscrewing the entire build would just be a pain and I'll end up having to put it back in again when I realize it won't work.

On a related note, if you suspect any of your components, the most likely culprit is the motherboard. Intel CPUs are usually pretty solid, so it's probably the least likely of all of the components to be bad. Of course, not to say that a bad mobo couldn't have fried the CPU also, but not as likely.

TheSurvival

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017

The motherboard lights up and powers up the fans in the entire PC... I don't see how it could be broken, it's a decent mobo in my opinion

WildCard999

Titan

Don't bother, for $55 you can get a Pentium to check and if it works you know the 7100 is defective and just return the Pentium.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YV7CmG/intel-cpu-bx80662g4400

The "breadboard" approach basically starts you off with the bare minimum. It helps to systematically isolate the problem. If you didn't do this, then that tells me you really haven't gone through all of the steps. It might be a pain, but it's pretty much what a computer shop will do; they'll also charge you for it.

TheSurvival

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017

Thank you, I'll leave that as a last resort as I need to unstick the fan off the CPU and I don't have any thermal paste, quite a complicated process + returns, would be really disappointed if that wasn't the issue.

I've had a BIOS problem where everything lights up & fans work; however, it wouldn't POST. I had to do a CMOS reset; then it came up. So it can still be a motherboard issue.

I encourage you to go through all of those steps. Also, see if a friend has spare parts (or another monitor) that you can borrow for testing.

Glad you found the problem. In fact, that problem (RAM sticks not fully inserted) is addressed in step #7 from that troubleshooting guide. It's a pretty nice guide. The hard part is that when we get frustrated, we often skip what may seem like very basic steps. However, sometimes those basic ones turn out to be the main issue. So that guide really helps as it goes through everything in an easy-to-follow, step-by-step process.

I'm sure it feels nice that you saved yourself that computer diagnostic fee! :)