Question New PC build. MOBO will not detect RTX 3070 GPU

darge82

Reputable
Jan 27, 2019
I just built a new PC. 10700k, MSI Tomahawk Z490 MOBO and an RTX 3070.

While I was waiting for my 3070, I tested the new build using the integrated Graphics which all worked well. I updated all needed drivers and did a BIOS update to the most recent update for the Z490.

Installed my RTX 3070 Asus KO. The GPU lights up, fans spin briefly then fans stop. The lights stay lit but Windows does not detect the GPU. When I try to install any NVIDIA Driver for this card, it says "graphics card not detected" and also says "windows version not supported"

I am running Windows 10 Pro if it matters.

I do not see any settings on the MOBO to make it boot to the GPU aside from the PEG/IGD settings which I have tried both and still does not detect the GPU.

I also tried my other GPU which is a 1080ti and the same thing happens( i just pulled the 1080ti out of a working PC). So I am guessing it is not a DOA GPU. I am missing a setting but unsure what it is.

Last thing of mention, the Asus manual states to use the left side 8 pin on the card. Which I am using. It states do not use the Right side 8 pin connector. I am powering it with a EVGA GA 850w Gold modular power supply.

My NVME SSD is installed to the #1 M2 slot and I have the GPU in the PCIe x16 slot.

If I plug the 8 pin on the GPU to the right side 8 pin connector, it does not light up at all and nothing works still. Am I supposed to use both 8 pin connectors on the GPU? The manual states just the left side.

Last thing of mention, the Asus manual states to use the left side 8 pin on the card. Which I am using. It states do not use the Right side 8 pin connector. I am powering it with a EVGA GA 850w Gold modular power supply.
If a graphics card has two 8-pin power connectors, you will almost certainly need to have both of them connected to PCIe power cables to power the card. I'm not sure why the manual would suggest only using one.

darge82

Reputable
Jan 27, 2019
If a graphics card has two 8-pin power connectors, you will almost certainly need to have both of them connected to PCIe power cables to power the card. I'm not sure why the manual would suggest only using one.
That is exactly what it was. I have no idea why the manual states that unless I interpreted the manual wrong. Its a very vague picture. It shows 2-8 pin connectors with an X on the right connector and a check mark on the left.