[SOLVED] New PC Build - Monitors not detecting video signal. Thoughts?

Aug 8, 2020
Just put together a new system - it boots, but my monitors don't appear to be picking up any video signal from the graphics card.

Specs below:

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU with Wraith Stealth Cooler
Asus Radeon RX 580 Dual 8GB OC Graphics Card
Kingston 1TB A2000 M.2 NVMe SSD
Corsair 16GB Vengeance RGB PRO 3600MHz RAM
Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular 80+ Gold

I'm using 2 x Samsung R350 23.8in FreeSync Monitors.

Troubleshooting so far:

Initially, I thought I had a CPU or a PSU problem, not being able to see build even POST so after a few hours of troubleshooting and a few more hours of yelling and swearing at inanimate objects, I gave up and took it back to the shop where I bought the parts.

The guys there were nice enough to have a quick look. They plugged it into their monitor via HDMI and their monitor lit up straight away showing POST and BIOS. They weren't able to determine any other problems with the build itself and suggested giving a different HDMI cable a try.

So went back home and commenced display troubleshooting. I tried connecting one monitor via HDMI (having only the 2 HDMI cables that came with the monitor on hand)
- Mobo lights, RAM RGB, fan RGBs turn on, and all fans spin before idling off, however no display and seemingly no video signal detected by my monitor

Tried the second monitor
- same result

Also tried all possible combinations of cable/gpu port/monitor connections - HDMI port 2 + monitor 2 + cable 1, port 2 + monitor 1 + cable 2, port 2 + monitor 2, cable 2 etc. etc.
- same result all cases

Also tried powering off everything for a few minutes and powering back on again.

No onboard graphics to speak of so that rules out trying the mobo HDMI port.

Went out and bought brand spankin new HDMI cable tried it out:
- same result

Went back out, picked up a new HDMI to DVI cable, thinking I'd give the DVI port on my GPU a try:
- this time the display comes up with "not optimum mode, recommended mode 1920x1080 @ 60hz". But still signal from the PC apart from that.

Also tried both, the AV mode and PC mode on my monitor.

So now I'm stumped. From what I've seen, the PC is fine, it's just a connection or monitor issue.

My next step I guess would be to drag my tower to work on Monday and borrow one of the many monitors and cables and give that a crack. GPU also has 2 x displayport outputs but I'm sort of hesitant on forking out $30 for a test HDMI-DP cable just yet.

In the meantime, are there any display gurus out there that know what might know why my PC seems to work on the shop monitor but not my own? Is there some sort of compatibility issue here between my monitor and my PC? Very strange, considering the monitors are designed for FreeSync.

Any thoughts, much appreciated. Feel free to spam me with questions.

Solution
Update:

Problem solved. A little bit of an annoying workaround but managed to get a super fuzzy picture with a vga cable and a hdmi - vga converter. Just long enough to install windows and all the necessary drivers and switch back to hdmi.

The monitors seem to have no problem running in hdmi now but only a good 2 or 3 seconds after the OS has loaded in.

Might just have to keep the vga cable handy in the case I have to go into the bios again for whatever reason.

Cheers for all your input, folks.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Have the latest bios?

If wanting to test another output would dvi->hdmi be a better choice and should not be that expensive. Are basically the same signal and no converter needed. See now that you did try reading again. Maybe res isn't set right in windows?

Maybe ask shop what kind of monitor they use?

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020
sounds like monitor settings. find the menu button on the bottom and scroll through that. lower refresh rates and any special setting til you get communication between PC and monitor.

Aug 8, 2020
Thanks for all your responses guys

Have the latest bios?

If wanting to test another output would dvi->hdmi be a better choice and should not be that expensive. Are basically the same signal and no converter needed. See now that you did try reading again. Maybe res isn't set right in windows?

Maybe ask shop what kind of monitor they use?

Vic,

Not sure what version of the bios I'm running because I can't see anything at the moment. Is there a way I can find out without a display?

The computer shop has reached the extent of their charity unfortunately (for insurance purposes they won't dive any deeper in case something breaks or is already broken and they don't want to be held liable)

Can probably rule out the res settings in windows, since it's a brand new hard drive and doesn't have Windows installed on it yet.

Some monitors do not autodetect inputs.
Is there a on screen display option on your monitor to select the input?

geofelt,

I've tried cycling through the different input options with no results. Only other options it has are "AV/PC mode" (already tried) and "Self diagnosis" (already tried)

sounds like monitor settings. find the menu button on the bottom and scroll through that. lower refresh rates and any special setting til you get communication between PC and monitor.

geo917,

There aren't any options for adjusting refresh rates or any other special settings apart from the ones I mentioned just above.

Strangely though, when it's plugged into my laptop, a whole bunch of display options become available - colour, brightness, contrast, freesync etc.

Gonna borrow a monitor and probably an assortment of video cables from work and try em all out tonight. Will keep you guys posted.

Did you buy this gpu new or used?
Some RX580 cards were used for mining with altered firmware.
A quick look on newegg user reviews indicates that the card is very trouble prone.
You might consider replacing it.
https://www.newegg.com/asus-radeon-rx-580-dual-rx580-o8g/p/N82E16814126199

It appears that the card does not output analog signals.
I see that the monitors do accept analog signals.
Perhaps there is an incompatibility there.

Aug 8, 2020
Update:

Problem solved. A little bit of an annoying workaround but managed to get a super fuzzy picture with a vga cable and a hdmi - vga converter. Just long enough to install windows and all the necessary drivers and switch back to hdmi.

The monitors seem to have no problem running in hdmi now but only a good 2 or 3 seconds after the OS has loaded in.

Might just have to keep the vga cable handy in the case I have to go into the bios again for whatever reason.

Cheers for all your input, folks.

Solution
A graphics card is supposed to run in a low res mode without any drivers at all.
That is what allows you to get into windows and install the appropriate graphics driver.

Yours can apparently do so only using dvi.
I think the unit is defective and I would return it if I could.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Now since you can see what is on the monitor, check the bios/uefi version, see if you have the latest.
Can be done in the bios itself or do the next where it will be one of the things listed,

download hwinfo,
install and open it=click run,
close the top window which is the system summary,
in the main window at the left top click "save report",
at the bottom of the next window check "Summary for Clipboard",
after that you'll see what's in the pc,
copy by clicking "copy to clipboard" and rightclick+paste in your next respons
Can find it in the "system summary" as well if you look before closing. The hwinfo tool is a handy one anyway.