new pc build need HELP!!

amy860

Commendable
Nov 10, 2016
I recently decided I wanted to build a gaming pc for the first time. I did some research, ordered mid grade products and got everything in the mail yesterday. So this is where things start to go down hill. I got a new pc case, motherboard, graphics card, processor, memory sticks, the works except a hard drive. I tool the 1TB internal hard drive out of my old Asus m11bb computer. It had windows on it already and I thought it would just be a cheaper way to go. I put everything together last night per the instruction manuals and a few videos. Everything looks great until I turn it on. first I get nothing, then I get a blue screen saying system thread exception not handled. I am not a huge computer person, I know how to use them, fix minor things to keep me going. This is driving me crazy, I have no clue what to do or how to fix it at all. I am at a loss, I've spent most of the day looking for ways to fix it and haven't come up with anything useful.

Solution
You can't take a hard drive with windows on it from another computer and install it on your computer and expect it to boot into windows. This is because it has the drivers for your old motherboard and components, which is different than your new mobo.

You will have to do a fresh install of windows.
When setup starts, delete all partitions and create a new one.
Install windows then the motherboard chipset drivers first.

If your old hard drive has valuable stuff on it,you will want to save that first. Either get another hard drive to install windows or if you have another pc or a friends, you can put your old hard drive in it as a slave and copy your important files,pics,videos,games,etc to their hard drive or an external hard drive...

tekno2go

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
You can't take a hard drive with windows on it from another computer and install it on your computer and expect it to boot into windows. This is because it has the drivers for your old motherboard and components, which is different than your new mobo.

You will have to do a fresh install of windows.
When setup starts, delete all partitions and create a new one.
Install windows then the motherboard chipset drivers first.

If your old hard drive has valuable stuff on it,you will want to save that first. Either get another hard drive to install windows or if you have another pc or a friends, you can put your old hard drive in it as a slave and copy your important files,pics,videos,games,etc to their hard drive or an external hard drive, which is good to have as a backup.

Then put your 1tb hdd back in your pc and do the fresh install as mentioned above.

After you install all the drivers and windows is good, you can use the Disk Management tool in windows to split your disc partition into two partitions.
For example 300GB for windows C: drive and 700GB for storing your important stuff.

That way if you need to re-install windows you only delete or format the 300GB windows partition without touching your storage [700GB] partition and losing that data.

Also, windows 7 setup does not have USB 3.0 drivers, so your keyboard and mouse should be plugged into the black USB 2.0 ports. 3.0 ports are usually blue.
You can install 3.0 drivers after from your mobo manufacturer or intel.

You may also have to disable secure boot in the BIOS and set it to legacy and "other OS" for windows 7.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS