Build Advice New PC build need some opinons/Help

Jul 5, 2023
Hello everyone, New here and looking for some advice/opinions.I have been away from building pc's for about 10 years and just getting back into it. So I guess I will start with my current specs.

Case = Hyte Y60 "White"
Motherboard = Rog Strix B550-A
CPU = Ryzen 9 5950X
CPU Cooler = Stock Cooler
Ram = Off brand 2133mhz x4 8g stix
GPU = GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti AERO OC V2
HDD = WD _ Black SN770 1TB
WD_BLACK 500GB
Monitor = SAMSUNG 49” Odyssey G9 Gaming Monitor, 1000R Curved Screen, QLED

So i would like to address the first issue in the list, Ram...My current motherboard can support 3200mhz. First question, How much of a difference would i notice with 3200mhz Ram?I am currently Looking at the Trident Royal 128g pack. I know that is a lot of ram but i like to play simulators and when i download a lot of assets, Also i plan on doing more then just gaming. 3d modeling/coding/video rendering. Just all kinds of stuff. I do want the ram to be rgb as right now i have 0 RGB in my case atm and i want to do something about it. So any suggestions?

Second issue is the cpu cooler. i am split atm, i am not sure if i want to go with fan cooling water cooler or just put a custom loop in. If i did the custom loop i would want to upgrade to another motherboard with a build on water block. Something like the ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 Formula. Also had another point. would changing to ddr5 ram be worth it? Or i could just go with the ASUS ROG Ryujin III.

Also if anyone could help with some good case fan options RGB of course and some RGB power cables. Just to make the case pop. The theme is white but i plan on making it into a theme of PennyWise the clown. That is the end game plan anyways. Thank you for the help :)

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
IMO G Skill is a great way to go for RAM. I have been a fan of their Trident and Ripjaw offerings according to whether I wanted lighting or not. If you are going with a new mobo/CPU it will also be good to select RAM specific to the new motherboard, off the QVL if possible.

Corsair makes an 'environment' of parts that all work together for your lighting called iCue IIRC. They have a new system out that the fans pretty much snap together and work from one connector. Be Quiet Silent Wings are well renowned also.

7000 series Ryzen run pretty warm. It would be a good idea to consider keeping it water cooled, or a really chunky air cooler and loads of case fans. I have no advice about custom loop specifics.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Jul 5, 2023
IMO G Skill is a great way to go for RAM. I have been a fan of their Trident and Ripjaw offerings according to whether I wanted lighting or not. If you are going with a new mobo/CPU it will also be good to select RAM specific to the new motherboard, off the QVL if possible.

Corsair makes an 'environment' of parts that all work together for your lighting called iCue IIRC. They have a new system out that the fans pretty much snap together and work from one connector. Be Quiet Silent Wings are well renowned also.

7000 series Ryzen run pretty warm. It would be a good idea to consider keeping it water cooled, or a really chunky air cooler and loads of case fans. I have no advice about custom loop specifics.
Thank you for the quick reply, Yea i am thinking about sticking with this motherboard for now. I was also leaning towards a aio. Was just reading up on the Corsair iCue, Looks like it may be the way to go. I would really like to have ALL of my RGB being controlled by 1 program if possible.

Hey there,

I'm a little confused. Do you want to upgrade the entire system? Or just a refresh of new parts to give a further boost?

First things first though:

1. You have name checked an Intel mobo (Z690). This tells me you've either chosen the wrong mobo (for your existing 5950x) or you want to switch to an Intel based system, which you could argue won't be an upgrade at all (depending on some factors).

2. For the cooler, a very good 280 would be good for that CPU, they have a nice footprint, internally and look great.

3. The ram is hobbling your system. Your mobo supports ram up to ddr4600. I would go with a fast 2 x 32gb3600 CL16 ram as a minimum. By doing so, you can link the mem clock, memory controller clock and infinity fabric clock in a 1:1 ratio which gives best latency. Moving from 2133mhz ram to 3600, will be a huge performance increase. Prob in the region of 25-30 or 40% depending on the task, but specifically for gaming.

4. Going with 4 dimms of ram (128gb) will reduce the overall max speed that the IMC on the Ryzen can handle. So for example if you got 4 x kit 4000mhz ram, they might only run at 3600 or 3200, the default supported speed.

Thank you for the quick reply, Yea i am thinking about sticking with this motherboard for now. I was also leaning towards a aio. Was just reading up on the Corsair iCue, Looks like it may be the way to go. I would really like to have ALL of my RGB being controlled by 1 program if possible.
iCUE is one of the better apps for managing RGB components. It also has plug ins for lots of different manufacturers which means you can control your ASUS or MSI mobo RGB, and/or GPU from various manufacturers too.

Jul 5, 2023
Hey there,

I'm a little confused. Do you want to upgrade the entire system? Or just a refresh of new parts to give a further boost?

1. You have name checked an Intel mobo (Z690). This tells me you've either chosen the wrong mobo (for your existing 5950x) or you want to switch to an Intel based system, which you could argue won't be an upgrade at all (depending on some factors).

2. For the cooler, a very good 280 would be good for that CPU, they have a nice footprint, internally and look great.

3. The ram is hobbling your system. Your mobo supports ram up to ddr4600. I would go with a fast 2 x 32gb3600 CL16 ram. By doing so, you can link the mem clock, memory controller clock and infinity fabric clock in a 1:! ration which gives best latency. Moving from 2133mhz ram to 3600, will be a huge performance increase. Prob in the region of 25-30 or 40% depending on the task, but specifically for gaming.

PSU is a 1000W msi

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
3. The ram is hobbling your system. Your mobo supports ram up to ddr4600. I would go with a fast 2 x 32gb3600 CL16 ram. By doing so, you can link the mem clock, memory controller clock and infinity fabric clock in a 1:! ration which gives best latency. Moving from 2133mhz ram to 3600, will be a huge performance increase. Prob in the region of 25-30 or 40% depending on the task, but specifically for gaming.

Yes, Ryzen take a pretty big hit for RAM speed. That one update alone from 2133 to 3200 should bring out quite a bit more performance. This build isn't bad or outdated at all.

One other thing I do notice is that OP is listing "stock fan". No fan comes included with that R9, so far as I can recall. Putting an ample cooler on the CPU you have would go a long way as well. My assumption is the reuse of a stock cooler from what was before?

Jul 5, 2023
Hey there,

Im not sure where you got the Z690 Mobo from? I have the Asus Rog Strix B550-A board and just pulled this info on it,
Install up to 128GB of dual-channel DDR4 RAM across four slots, with speeds up to 5100 MHz supported when overclocking. Storage drives can be installed using six SATA III connectors or two M. 2 slots.
So would i be better to go with 5100MHZ ram? I have never overclocked ram before so i have no idea about this.

Jul 5, 2023
Yes, Ryzen take a pretty big hit for RAM speed. That one update alone from 2133 to 3200 should bring out quite a bit more performance. This build isn't bad or outdated at all.

One other thing I do notice is that OP is listing "stock fan". No fan comes included with that R9, so far as I can recall. Putting an ample cooler on the CPU you have would go a long way as well. My assumption is the reuse of a stock cooler from what was before?
No its a new build. I have built it over the last 2 months. Well the mobo and old 5600X cpu was bought first, was not expecting to go this big with it.

Jul 5, 2023
Your current mobo is pretty decent, and will handle the 5950x fine as long as it's not crazily OC'ed. That mobo has a 12+2 power phase set up, so it's robust enough for your CPU.

Here's a list of other options for B550's, some more expensive than others :
O also, i have the 8 pin plugged in for the cpu but it also has a 4 pin, Every time i try to connect that one the board wont boot. So before i could OC i would have to figure that out.

Jul 5, 2023

You are correct, This is the stock cooler from the 5600x. I just got the 5950x yesterday, i know i need a new cooler just wasent sure what way to go.

O i was saying maybe upgrading to that, I think thats the ddr5 but it also has the built in water block for the Mobo.
Yes, that's an Intel board as opposed to your CPU being AMD, and incompatible.

Given your current hardware, no, jumping to ddr5 doesn't make sense,as you would need a new CPU and mobo and ram.

If I were in your shoes, I'd simply get some fast ram with min of 3600mhz, CL16 ram in a 2 x 32gb flavour, jam it in there. Get a nice 280 AIO and be happy chappy.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023
Yes, that's an Intel board as opposed to your CPU being AMD, and incompatible.

Given your current hardware, no, jumping to ddr5 doesn't make sense,as you would need a new CPU and mobo and ram.

If I were in your shoes, I'd simply get some fast ram with min of 3600mhz, CL16 ram in a 2 x 32gb flavour, jam it in there. Get a nice 280 AIO and be happy chappy.
So with this board being able to handle 4600mhz should i shoot for that or 3600mhz should be fine? I have ran into problems in the past with the game city skylines. I downloaded to many assets and my current ram did not like it. With you saying that the upgrade from 2133mhz to 3600mhz is a big upgrade i wonder if it would be enough. I am looking at

G.Skill Trident Z Royal 16GB DDR4 4600MHz Memory Module (16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 4600MHz) Right now.​

So with this board being able to handle 4600mhz should i shoot for that or 3600mhz should be fine? I have ran into problems in the past with the game city skylines. I downloaded to many assets and my current ram did not like it. With you saying that the upgrade from 2133mhz to 3600mhz is a big upgrade i wonder if it would be enough. I am looking at

G.Skill Trident Z Royal 16GB DDR4 4600MHz Memory Module (16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 4600MHz) Right now.​

Yes, you can buy that ram, but you can't be sure the IMC on your 5950x can handle it at it's rated speed. It's different for each individual CPU. And yes, that jump from 2133 to 3600 or higher speeds will be huge. You will see your FPS in games shoot up (this is game dependant).

However, Zen 3 CPU's have very good IMC and can run faster.

Ideally you want synchronous setting for your ram. So the reason I suggested 3600 ram, is that the infinity clock will be set at 1800 and the ram at 3600. This gives best latency. The next step up is 4000mhz ram with 2000mhz infinity clock. This will keep it in synchronous mode and have best latency. The 2000mhz infinity clock is close to how much Zen 3 can max out.

If you choose something like 4400/4600mhz, and can't match the infinity clock then it will run in asynchronous mode, and this increases latency. Bit of a balancing act. Sometimes the faster speeds (4400/4600) can balance out against being in asynchronous mode.

Jul 5, 2023
Yes, you can buy that ram, but you can't be sure the IMC on your 5950x can handle it at it's rated speed. It's different for each individual CPU. And yes, that jump from 2133 to 3600 or higher speeds will be huge. You will see your FPS in games shoot up (this is game dependant).

However, Zen 3 CPU's have very good IMC and can run faster.

Ideally you want synchronous setting for your ram. So the reason I suggested 3600 ram, is that the infinity clock will be set at 1800 and the ram at 3600. This gives best latency. The next step up is 4000mhz ram with 2000mhz infinity clock. This will keep it in synchronous mode and have best latency. The 2000mhz infinity clock is close to how much Zen 3 can max out.

If you choose something like 4400/4600mhz, and can't match the infinity clock then it will run in asynchronous mode, and this increases latency. Bit of a balancing act. Sometimes the faster speeds (4400/4600) can balance out against being in asynchronous mode.
wow, yea i did not understand most of that but i landed on

G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series (Intel XMP) DDR4 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 4000MT/s​

Not a bad price and hopefully i can add two more sticks later as i am still needing other things right now. Looking at case fans atm. Not sure if i need a fan controller for the fans and rgb or what, trying to figure it out now.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
wow, yea i did not understand most of that but i landed on

G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series (Intel XMP) DDR4 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 4000MT/s​

Not a bad price and hopefully i can add two more sticks later as i am still needing other things right now. Looking at case fans atm. Not sure if i need a fan controller for the fans and rgb or what, trying to figure it out now.
Adding more latter might not even work.
If you need more buy it now.
Good price on this.

Latest posts