Question New PC build, never built one before

Apr 17, 2019
Hello everyone! I'm currently making a list of components for a desktop to replace my old laptop. Itll be used primarily for editing HD video on programs like:
Adobe Premiere Pro
Light works
Red Giant
Adobe After Effects
Davinci Resolve

So far I have the following components:
AMD Radeon Rx 580
13 8100 Intel Core processor
G skill 8gb RAM
Corsair VS 450 power supply
GIGABYTE H310m motherboard
And a Rosewill SRM-01 case

I already have a 1TB HDD and an external hard drive, and in the future I'll get a couple of crucial SSDs to work alongside the drive. Is there anything I'm missing here to have a solid PC? Anything that should be replaced with something else of better value? Compatibility issues?

(This list was made using this post recommendations:) https://turbofuture.com/computers/Build-Photo-Editing-PC

Whew! this was a hard one! I think every part has been upgraded from your original list.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: OLOy - 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB OC Video Card ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair - Carbide SPEC-04 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($50.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $610.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-17 19:43 EDT-0400

The microATX MB will look a bit small through the window of the SPEC-04, but its a higher quality case currently on sale. You can substitute this Rosewill case if you need to get it down to $600:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...-_-ComputerCases-_-11147248-S1A9D&ignorebbr=1

You could also downgrade to the Ryzen 5 2600 if you need to save more. Later you can add a cooler to it and overclock it to equal the 2600X. If you don't mind overclocking, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go with the 2600 plus a Hyper 212 cooler which is currently on sale for $25. The total cost will be the same, the performance the same, but you will gain a fan on the Hyper 212 which can direct some airflow out hhe back of the case (the 2600X comes with a downdraft fan.)

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackTalonCEO
Apr 17, 2019
Wow! Thanks a lot, that's a seriously comprehensive list! I'll prolly go with the original suggestions since I'll be running relatively intensive software. Had no idea such a small amount of money could go so far in the custom world!

Wow! Thanks a lot, that's a seriously comprehensive list! I'll prolly go with the original suggestions since I'll be running relatively intensive software. Had no idea such a small amount of money could go so far in the custom world!

I agree. It's a lot of computer for the money. Newegg has this shellshocker case today only. It looks pretty nice and you may like it better. It comes with two fans which is nice.

PCPartpicker says "Unable to verify the AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor included cooler and the Rosewill - Line-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case are compatible. " I can't imagine that they wouldn't be compatible, as it's the standard cooler, not an aftermarket one. Just the same, I would discuss with Newegg before I ordered it. On the other hand, Corsair makes great cases (I trust the quality more) and the larger case will allow for better cooling all other things being equal.

To better explain, the 2600X is really just a 2600 factory overclocked with a better cooler. If you overclock the 2600 yourself, then it has the same performance as the 2600X (but you'll need a better cooler in order to overclock it, e.g. the Hyper 212)

Reactions: BlackTalonCEO
Apr 17, 2019
Update: Gonna order the parts monday, are there any tools or special product I should have on hand for the building? Also, do I purchase a wifi adapter or is there something that goes onto the motherboard to get internet?