New PC Build, New Operating System, Old Hard Drive

Adam Hubbard

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Foreword:
I won't dare say I have anything above average computer knowledge, so please be simple with me.

Before I begin, here is the situation:

I needed a new processor, so I'm buying:

• -New motherboard (MSI Z87-G45 Gaming) for the processor (switching from AMD to Intel)
    -New Power Supply
    -New Case (not that it matters)
    -New Operating system (Windows 8 hopefully)

However, I'm keeping some stuff from my old pre-built computer:

• -Nvidia Gtx 660
    -Ram 8gb (not sure what kind it is)
    -Seagate Barracuda 1Tb

My old Pc has Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

My main issue is, I don't know how I need to go about transferring my hard drive.
I'd like to just do a complete wipe of my hard drive so that I can install Windows 8, I can always just install all the programs over again.

If I can't just wipe my hard drive, put it in my new computer, and install Windows 8, what do I need to do?

Solution
OK, if you don't have an answer already, which I'm hoping you do... You want to wire up your hard drive into that nice new case of yours, and then you wipe it clean. Once it's completely reformatted, you place the installation disk for the windows 8, into your optical disk drive, and allow it to download. It may shut off, restart at random times, but there are no issues there. Once that's done you'll have a clean hard drive, with your fresh copy of windows 8.

Update: It's impossible to install windows before you put in the wiped hard drive, as it has nothing to save to (Just thought I would throw that out there).

Adam Hubbard

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014

Do I need to install Windows on the new system before I put in the wiped hard drive or after?

Vavs15

Reputable
May 19, 2014
OK, if you don't have an answer already, which I'm hoping you do... You want to wire up your hard drive into that nice new case of yours, and then you wipe it clean. Once it's completely reformatted, you place the installation disk for the windows 8, into your optical disk drive, and allow it to download. It may shut off, restart at random times, but there are no issues there. Once that's done you'll have a clean hard drive, with your fresh copy of windows 8.

Update: It's impossible to install windows before you put in the wiped hard drive, as it has nothing to save to (Just thought I would throw that out there).

Solution

Adam Hubbard

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014

Thanks, although it's already been done, I'll choose this as the best solution just in case anyone else comes around to this thread. I did end of reformatting, and it went well.