[SOLVED] New pc build; no display signal, vga red led showing on mobo

Markhad93

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2016
Hey all, so i just put together my build and here is the link to all the components;

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Hn8Y6s#compatibility_notes

Note that the PSU and the ssd/hdd are from a previous build.

So i completed the build and tried booting it up, all the fans turn on as usual but i get no signal. I know that my gpu works because i tested it in my old build prior to installing it. The vga light on my mobo also turns on red which is supposedly a gpu problem or it cant be detected. My keyboard rgb lights also dont light up which seems odd.

I tried taking out the gpu and plugging my monitor into the mobo but that didnt work either and the vga led remained on. I also reseated the memory and gpu to no avail. I also checked all connectors and everything was connected.

Any ideas on what else i should do? The mobo was purchased as open box (the sticker on it said the bios was updated for ryzen 3000) from canada computers so im thinking something is wrong with it but im not sure.

Please read the update below***

Last edited:
Solution
i wonder if they did a good job updating the bios (which is essential for the new ryzen 3000).
if neither the onboard gpu and the nvidia one works could be the cpu is not detected from the first place. but that is just a guess.
Aug 13, 2019
try and check the mobo manual what does the red vga light mean (or might mean). see if this gives you any clues of what to do next.
could be a lot of things its realy hard to say only by your post.

Aug 13, 2019
i wonder if they did a good job updating the bios (which is essential for the new ryzen 3000).
if neither the onboard gpu and the nvidia one works could be the cpu is not detected from the first place. but that is just a guess.

Solution

Markhad93

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2016
Update,: it turned out to be the cpu led not the vga. I took out the cpu and 2 pins had very light thermal paste on the edges. I never even came in contact with the thermal paste prior to installing it. It was an open box so I think the guy who had it before me got some on it and then returned it. I hope they take it back.....