[SOLVED] New PC Build Not Powering On - Power Supply or Connectors?

Dec 24, 2020
First time building a new PC and system is not powering on. I have tried to reseat all connectors and power cables to the power supply. I have tried to remove the video card and other components to see any changes, but no luck. Not seeing any power at all with the NZXT 510 case. I am not sure if I missed connecting a cable on my ASUS Z490-E motherboard ((24-pin and 8-pin CPU are connected). I was thinking of the power supply since I saw bad reviews of not working out the box. PLEASE HELP!!

Specs:
Intel i7 10700K
Asus ROG Strix Z490-E
G.Skill 750W GD Full ATX
Corsair iCUE H100i RGB Pro XT
32 GB 2x16 D4 32000 TRZ
Asus KO RXT 3060Ti O8G
NZXT 510 Case

Solution
hold on what do you mean paperclip test with the PSU lol never heard that 1

ok looked at that, id never suggest it but worth a try if you are confident in how to do it and the risks in doing it lol, try new leads where you can, like from the wall to the PSU, or modular connections on the psu to the board if there are any, id basically be swapping everything for anything, remove all but 1 ram, just the boot drive, limit every possible thing but focus on that PSU mostly, you flipped the big switch yeah :p wall socket works?

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
you have the power button connected to the right pins? not sure how they connect up if its a block or not but it sounds like theres a power delivery problem one way or another, you should have a block or a series of wires connected to 2 pins bridged bottom right of the Mobo for front panel buttons n such, if you disconnect the block and bridge the pins on the bottom line with something metal, i think its the first pair it should send power thru like you hit the power button, if enerything else is good the pc will power up, theres no harm bridging the wrong terminals in that 8 pin cluster, if bridging those does nothing it has to be something motherboard or PSU related. without a replacement of either im not sure how you could test, is there any indication that the PSU is passing power thru, a light, the sound of electricity when you flip the switch? and back further from that theres no fuse on the plug is there? UK leads have 13A fuses, it may have blown

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020
you have the power button connected to the right pins? not sure how they connect up if its a block or not but it sounds like theres a power delivery problem one way or another, you should have a block or a series if wires connected to 2 pins bridged bottom right of the Mobo for front panel buttons n such, if you disconnect the block and bridge the pins on the bottom line with something metal, i think its the first pair it should send power thru like you hit the power button, if enerything else is good the pc will power up, theres no harm bridging the wrong terminals in that 8 pin cluster, if bridging those does nothing it has to be something motherboard or PSU related. without a replacement of either im not sure how you could test, is there any indication that the PSU is passing power thru, a light, the sound of electricity when you flip the switch? and back further from that theres no fuse on the plug is there? UK leads have 13A fuses, it may have blown
I just tried to have the F_PANEL seat back in the motherboard and use tried the non-intel F_PANEL HEADER with no luck. There is no light on the motherboard and seems no power is passing to the PSU. I would've thought the PSU would make some sort of noise when connected. Should I try and do a paperclip test with the PSU?

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020

ok looked at that, id never suggest it but worth a try if you are confident in how to do it and the risks in doing it lol, try new leads where you can, like from the wall to the PSU, or modular connections on the psu to the board if there are any, id basically be swapping everything for anything, remove all but 1 ram, just the boot drive, limit every possible thing but focus on that PSU mostly, you flipped the big switch yeah :p wall socket works?

Last edited:
Solution
Dec 24, 2020

No luck with reconnecting everything. I didn’t try the paperclip test. I removed all the power cables and was just checking all the connectors as well. I did connect the AIO to the AIO header instead of CPU_Fan. I don’t think that should be an issue. Still nothing is lighting up or powering on. I appreciate your input.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-8rlVvtbXFZTmqudnID4pYarTXH1u-Bo02FmZ4FolnE/edit

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
https://www.howtogeek.com/172933/how-can-i-test-my-computers-power-supply/ i mean that doesnt sound too risky to me, alot safer than paperclips atleast. if its dead then no harm killing it, dont want it killing you tho. you should be able to do the same thing with a multimeter, then you know your fingers are safe and you have full control of whats going where, be careful with it. if it is faulty then you dont know how its going to react, sure its meant to just turn on but i wouldnt wanna guess what could go wrong

Dec 24, 2020
https://www.howtogeek.com/172933/how-can-i-test-my-computers-power-supply/ i mean that doesnt sound too risky to me, alot safer than paperclips atleast. if its dead then no harm killing it, dont want it killing you tho. you should be able to do the same thing with a multimeter, then you know your fingers are safe and you have full control of whats going where, be careful with it. if it is faulty then you dont know how its going to react, sure its meant to just turn on but i wouldnt wanna guess what could go wrong
After replacing the power supply my computer powered on. It seems to be running well just now need to figure out some fine tuning with my son's games (ex. Fortnite, Valorant).

Reactions: Obiwancanabi