New PC build opinion

bzlom

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
Hello Everyone,

have read a lot of the forums lately and always liked this community for the helpful recommendations. Now I need it myself :)

Building a Gaming rig:
Case+PSU: Sharkon Mask + XFX PRO750W Core Edition
Why: Want a big enough case without overpaying and some dust protection - almost don't care about noise. A cooler that will be powerfull enough for a second GPU if I ever decide to go for one. Otherwise it might be overkill - i this case please recommend something :)

Motherboard: ASRock Z87 EXTREME4
Why: Better audio codec than Asus Asus z87-A (was deciding between the two of them), better OC performance from what I read, more features. Also if compared to Asus z87-Pro the ASRock is the more cheaper one

CPU + Cooler: Intel Core i5 4670K Quad Core Retail CPU + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Why: don't want to use the stock cooler and plan for possible OC - although in case I will decide otherwise i'll go with a Intel Core i5 4670

Videocard: Sapphire Dual-X AMD Radeon R9 280X OC 3GB
Why: Wanted to get the Radeon R9 280X OC 3GB but saw that dual-x was for the same price - so why not, from what I heard Dual-X is more silent

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB (4GBx2) OR Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (4GBx2)
Why: would like to buy the Ballistix for the higher speed and cheaper price compared to corsair - but am afraid that it won't fit due to the Cooler Master. Any experience with Ballistix + Cooler Master on ASRock Z87?

HDD: some cheap 500GB or 1TB drive + 120GB SSD for the system
Why Don't know exactly what to take - but would opt for some cheaper solutions

Thank you,

matt20020

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
sounds like a great system and also sounds like you've got your mind set on what you want and the reasons for your choices!

Although if I had the choice between motherboards I would tend to go for the Asus Asus z87-A, that is just my opinion though others may think different. I think that the asus boards are generally more stable, more reliable, sturdy and robust. Also I think they generally get better feedback from end users!

But if you want to overclock and the asrock is better for that then you need to decide whats more important and go with your gut instinct.

bzlom

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
I am all for debating - that is why I asked for help :).

A question regarding Asus z87-A - how well it Overclocks compared to ASRock?
I usually go for stability (Asus) - but when I see same price and more features - i get risky :)

Also any recommendations are welcomed.