[SOLVED] New PC build or should I keep an old gift from my dad?

Oct 13, 2021
Howdy everyone, just wanted to ask for some opinions and feedback on my (admittedly even I'm second guessing this) choice of building my own PC! (God I hope I don't break it somehow while assembling it xD)

I've been in need of a new PC for a while and so far I've got two options (for now)
1. Upgrade my old Dell E520 that my dad bought for me way back when and replacing the old pentium D 945 (if I had a nickel for everytime the pentium let me down I'd be on par with Jeff Bezos i.e I absolutely despise Pentium D's) with a Q6600 and a decent-ish low end graphics card, say a 550 TI or 650 (heck maybe even some Radeon offerings cause from what I've seen those cards run older games a lil better) and lastly upgrading to 8 gigs of ddr2 RAM (quick side note I checked rn and it seems I still have to update my bios to be able to support the q6600, oh Lord give me the strength for the mighty obstacle I am about to overcome, updating my bios xD) all for a grad whopping total of! Insert drum roll here around $155! (My wallet must be screaming out in pain now) on the software side of things I'm still running the painfully slow stock HDD with windows 10 (don't worry it's the bare bones essentials only, I had kicked all the useless bloat software to the curb long ago)

As for why I'm trying to upgrade my ye olde 2006 budget prebuilt it's because it was a gift from my father who definitely wasn't wealthy at the time and had to work his ass off to even begin to have enough dough to buy the Dell brand new back in the day, in shorter terms, nostalgia.

And lastly (sorry if the posts getting a bit long)

A new PC entirely! (Kind of)
This next option of mine is quite costly (for me at least, cause yeah broke highschool students don't really get the privilege of getting brand new top tier PC parts, woe is I) the specs are as follows
CPU: Xeon E5 2667 V2 8 cores 16 threads clocked @3.3ghz (I finally found a decent Xeon that's a v2 and has decent clock speeds after much searching thankfully)
Motherboard: some branded Chinese X79 motherboard (don't know the exact brand but the store I'm buying it from is at least reputable)
RAM: 16gb 2x8gb DDR3 Reg Ecc RAM clocked @1333mhz
Case: some random one I found for cheap but has enough space/room for good upgrades down the line
PSU: Deep cool DE600 or a cooler master elite V3 @ 500 watts
Cooler: seller of the Motherboard recommended one of their other products which also conveniently works on the motherboard I'd be buying
Thermal paste: Deep cool (again) Z3 thermal paste

(Still debating on the GPU as it's between a 768mb GTX 460 or a GTX 550 TI)

My main uses would be for school projects (word, Excel, PowerPoint etc) gaming (terraria, CS source and GO, Payday 2, left 4 dead 2, Gmod and (if I can get more than 5fps xD) escape from tarkov) everything else comes after, editing, encoding and so on.

Overall price in my country for the entire build (new one) with those parts alone = $245~ (12k PHP)

Any and all help would be highly appreciated, thanks for reading my (admittedly very long) post

Last edited:
Solution
He is, for sure!

By sites, it's best you parse links for (local)shops you have access to. You might not know it but there are times where people are lead to other shady sites when looking up just a name and not a link. to add, this site is based in the U.S.A but we see traffic from all over the world so for the unfamiliar in our community, we ask users to parse links to help the community familiarize themselves with.

Also, please note that you can't do much gaming off of an iGPU on the Intel prior to the 12th Gen. The F's don't have an iGPU and for both instances you need a discrete GPU. You should stick to local shops since you will get warranty. There are instances where imported goods by "smart" people had themselves to deal with...

Lutfij

Titan
In retrospect, I admire people who tend to hold onto retro tech when it's a hand me down...you can buy pretty much anything but character, sentiments and life are some of the things you can't buy. If you held out for a little bit more, saved up your dough, you're looking at an entry level AMD RyZen APU rig that you can eventually upgrade as time goes on. As of this moment, the parts you've picked aren't exactly an upgrade in late 2021 but it is an upgrade over what you have, sadly as it often so happens with people(and me when I was a novice about 2 decades ago) is that after you spend on a build...you then realize I should've saved a little bit more to get a sound build.

Keep school as your primary, leave gaming to the side, save your money(from odd jobs/errands, if possible) and then spend once. That's my 2 cents though, the community will have other suggestions that will certainly be better than mine :)

Oct 13, 2021
In retrospect, I admire people who tend to hold onto retro tech when it's a hand me down...you can buy pretty much anything but character, sentiments and life are some of the things you can't buy. If you held out for a little bit more, saved up your dough, you're looking at an entry level AMD RyZen APU rig that you can eventually upgrade as time goes on. As of this moment, the parts you've picked aren't exactly an upgrade in late 2021 but it is an upgrade over what you have, sadly as it often so happens with people(and me when I was a novice about 2 decades ago) is that after you spend on a build...you then realize I should've saved a little bit more to get a sound build.

Keep school as your primary, leave gaming to the side, save your money(from odd jobs/errands, if possible) and then spend once. That's my 2 cents though, the community will have other suggestions that will certainly be better than mine :)

I agree, my dad actually bought said dell when I was born as a gift, even had to take a bunch of loans just to afford it, hence why I'm trying to keep it alive, it's a testament to his perseverance just so I could brag that I had a PC at the grand age of 2 months old xD

As for the Ryzen rig, totally agree! It's worth it to save yeah but I must admit I don't think I'll ever be able to get a Ryzen rig as Ryzen CPU prices are so astronomically high in the Philippines (a brand new, out of the factory I5 10400f costs less than a brand new Ryzen 3 3200g where I live, pain) heck a brand spanking new Ryzen 3 4000 series CPU is so darn hard to come by both in physical stores and online because well, they're just so little supply of em in the Philippines, same goes for GPU's (curse you crypto miners and order bots! Dramatics shakes fist into the air)

If the supply issue wasn't a problem (say early 2020) I actually would have been able to buy a Ryzen rig (2200g, 8gb of 2666mhz ram, etc.) Welp, if the CPU prices go down by black Friday, woohoo! Ryzen time! If not, well, yeah I'm probably gonna have to make due with what I find instead, either way thanks for the reply man I appreciate it :D

Lutfij

Titan
Keeping it alive can be done in many ways, one is, it's physically there in front of you but parts are dead or dying. The other is to have the system boxed or left in storage or boxed in their individual boxes knowing that they all work but the system is in essence retired. Kept only for non tangible reasons :)

If the supply issue wasn't a problem, I'd be on a new rig and retire my APU rig for sure, it was a build my father helped me put together and it's been my workhorse since 2013(before he passed away in late 2015) which is why I've had a hard time parting ways with it and merely incrementally upgraded it, like a project car you keep and tinker on for years and years to refine it but never say...I'm done with you.

I used AMD"s Ryzen as a reference point, no harm in going for an Intel build either.

Tell you what? How about you parse a list of sites you have access to...? We can parse suggestions for you based off those sites and then you can keep an eye out on them provided you have the funds ready and the opportunity is right to purchase them. We're already aware that you're located in the Philippines.

Oct 13, 2021
Keeping it alive can be done in many ways, one is, it's physically there in front of you but parts are dead or dying. The other is to have the system boxed or left in storage or boxed in their individual boxes knowing that they all work but the system is in essence retired. Kept only for non tangible reasons :)

If the supply issue wasn't a problem, I'd be on a new rig and retire my APU rig for sure, it was a build my father helped me put together and it's been my workhorse since 2013(before he passed away in late 2015) which is why I've had a hard time parting ways with it and merely incrementally upgraded it, like a project car you keep and tinker on for years and years to refine it but never say...I'm done with you.

I used AMD"s Ryzen as a reference point, no harm in going for an Intel build either.

Tell you what? How about you parse a list of sites you have access to...? We can parse suggestions for you based off those sites and then you can keep an eye out on them provided you have the funds ready and the opportunity is right to purchase them. We're already aware that you're located in the Philippines.

Oh dang! I'm really sorry to hear your dad passed, I'm sure he's in a better place now

And yep I've just checked to confirm and I was right, I can (I kid you not) buy a I5 11400 (non f model so it has the UHD 730 IGP) with a brand new Gigabyte H510m-H for around $300~ when at this price point the only ryzen combo I found was a Ryzen 3 3200g (oof) for the same price and if what I've seen from benchmarks are true the I5 is a much better bang for your buck in my case than even a Ryzen 7 2700 (costs around $190~ alone) and Ryzen 5 3600 (ever so slightly) but the biggest issue I'll run into is price, as I'm dirt poor and I'll most likely stick with a much cheaper I3 10100f bundle (around $175-$180)

(Oh my poor wallet must be weeping now, I went from an initial budget of less than 10k php to scouting out bundles worth more than my entire budget for a PC xD)

Oh right! As for the sites I use I mostly use local stuff, say shopee, Lazada and so on yet I always stick to more reputable well known sellers with good track records, I would've tried Amazon and so on but, A. I don't have a credit card and my mom is mad enough that I'm "wasting money" on a "hunk of metal", and B. Just getting the parts shipped into the Philippines would be the main issue as the clearance tax is just downright criminal! If I bought something worth $100 and the shipping is $35 I'd also need to pay an additional fee of around $35-ish for import duties, ah the perks of living in a backwater asian country :"")

Still, again, I really am thankful for all your help so far :D

Lutfij

Titan
He is, for sure!

By sites, it's best you parse links for (local)shops you have access to. You might not know it but there are times where people are lead to other shady sites when looking up just a name and not a link. to add, this site is based in the U.S.A but we see traffic from all over the world so for the unfamiliar in our community, we ask users to parse links to help the community familiarize themselves with.

Also, please note that you can't do much gaming off of an iGPU on the Intel prior to the 12th Gen. The F's don't have an iGPU and for both instances you need a discrete GPU. You should stick to local shops since you will get warranty. There are instances where imported goods by "smart" people had themselves to deal with Dead On Arrival gear.

You're welcome but this community gets the praise not me.

Last edited:
Reactions: RussianStick
Solution
Oct 13, 2021
He is, for sure!

By sites, it's best you parse links for (local)shops you have access to. You might not know it but there are times where people are lead to other shady sites when looking up just a name and not a link and to add, this site if based in U.S.A but we see traffic from all over the world so for the unfamiliar in our community, we ask users to parse links to help the community familiarize themselves with.

Also, please note that you can't do much gaming off of an iGPU on the Intel prior to the 12th Gen. The F's don't have an iGPU and for both instances you need a discrete GPU. You should stick to local shops since you will get warranty. There are instances where imported goods by "smart" people had to deal with Dead On Arrival gear.

You're welcome but this community gets the praise not me.

Ohh, dang I see, I always did have a doubt on parts coming from all over, luckily if memory serves me correctly there's a good PC parts retail store near where I live (although I'll need to get vaccinated first)
As for the IGPU on Intel processors, I must admit, I agree wholeheartedly as the last "computer" I had access to was an old laptop from 2014 with a potato processor and quite possibly the worst Intel HD graphics in existence, the mobile bay trail HD graphics shudders I could barely get more than 10 FPS on OG Payday xD and only got about 30-ish fps on all low Gmod with like 45gb of mods (I to this day regret having 45gb of mods, it took a whole 30 minutes to load into a map, absolute pain) and lastly, correct if I'm wrong here, but aren't the 11th and 12th gen Intel CPUs better than the Ryzen ones with dedicated GPU's by now? Or am I still a boomer from 2008 who praises Intel for overheating pentium D's and insanely easy to OC quad core extreme processors

Oh right also, thanks to both the community and you, everywhere else I asked I was either ignored or they just didn't know what to answer, so again, huge thanks to everyone!